Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just posting because i saw it was available as of today. They had a the 2WD "coastal cruiser" lift available since August, now just released the AWD version. That sad, no video or pictures of it actually installed on an AWD.

I do think this might be a very good way to achieve the lift on a AWD, by swapping lower control arm for more adjustment and droop, and ive been waiting to see what Transit Offroad would do (say its in development) but cant quite wrap my head around how it fixes CV bind. im intrigued but waiting for some real world testing/feedback and fingers crossed it another viable option

·
Registered
(Sold) 2020 Crew Van AWD, 148WB HR, 3.5 Ecoboost
179 Posts
I was just thinking about this as well. If what VC claims is true about the CV joints binding at full droop on their kit w/ Bilsteins, then I have to imagine the binding is even worse on the WeldTec kit, which seems to simply move the whole range of travel down by 2" using the 2" strut spacer.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
+3. It’s expensive, and if it doesn’t let you use bilsteins without fixing the binding I don’t know if it has much advantage over The VC lift.

·
Registered
641 Posts
this kit is the better idea, the longer control arm fixes some issues and could possibly avoid CV bind, sounds like what really needs to happen is 930 style CV joints.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+3. It’s expensive, and if it doesn’t let you use bilsteins without fixing the binding I don’t know if it has much advantage over The VC lift.
bilstiens are recommended upgrade to the basic kit. that said i used the VC red spring in my last one and liked the stiffer spring (which is now no longer available).

agree on the 930 CV idea. i come from the vanagon syncro world and to get big lifts you had to swap axles to a 930 cv axle (plus being a CV that could handle more power from engine swaps form what VW thought was adequate)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'm just posting because i saw it was available as of today. They had a the 2WD "coastal cruiser" lift available since August, now just released the AWD version. That sad, no video or pictures of it actually installed on an AWD.

I do think this might be a very good way to achieve the lift on a AWD, by swapping lower control arm for more adjustment and droop, and ive been waiting to see what Transit Offroad would do (say its in development) but cant quite wrap my head around how it fixes CV bind. im intrigued but waiting for some real world testing/feedback and fingers crossed it another viable option

It's good to see more kits, but if there's still wheel rub on the subframe at full lock without spacers, and if there's no explanation of CV binding, and if the max tire height they allow is 265/70, then this would be a downgrade for me. I also have the red VC spring. Not sure why they didn't make that the default. I like having it on jeep trails because I can still keep a decent speed as I pass through obstacles without worrying about bottoming out.

Cheers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and if the max tire height they allow is 265/70, then this would be a downgrade for me
if you notice they state 265/70/17" is the max, which is a carry over from the 2wd lift text and exactly the same size as 265/75/16. id like to see where they sourced a 17" AWD wheel....yeah, i dont think they did either and just missed it in the description. still want to see more "how the CV doesnt bind" explanation/real world miles logged

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
They lift the 2” with the spacer alone and according to VC, you will get CV bind with anything over 1”.

I believe them since people were having problems with just the addition of the Bilstein B6 strut on top of the 1” spacer.

The aftermarket control arm does not fix that.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
if you notice they state 265/70/17" is the max, which is a carry over from the 2wd lift text and exactly the same size as 265/75/16. id like to see where they sourced a 17" AWD wheel....yeah, i dont think they did either and just missed it in the description. still want to see more "how the CV doesnt bind" explanation/real world miles logged
That's just it, as far as I know there isn't a 17" AWD wheel yet, and even if there was, I wouldn't want it because I'd rather have more rubber than a larger heavier wheel. 265/75/16 vs 265/70/16 is a full 1" loss of height.

Cheers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They lift the 2” with the spacer alone and according to VC, you will get CV bind with anything over 1”.

I believe them since people were having problems with just the addition of the Bilstein B6 strut on top of the 1” spacer.

The aftermarket control arm does not fix that.
VC is lifting with a 1” spacer AND a 1” longer coil, so same/same 2” lift really-just different way to achieve. Pros and cons to factory vs aftermarket coils

as I said-not sold until I see real testing. I was happy with my VC lift, no problem other than throwing my back out installing it and being out of commission for a month, old(er) man who has not treated his body well with my choices in sports/hobbies/jobs

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This was my response from VC after I asked about running the Topo lift with Bikstein B6 and the stock Ford spring (so no 1” coil lift):

I think I know what you’re after. If you want to run the B6 strut, the preferred way to do it is with our coil spring, and with removing the strut spacer. The stack height of the spacer, combined with the higher perch on the B6, is what creates the fitment issue. Basically, you have to choose if you want 3/4” of mechanical lift one way, or the other. The B6 gets you better damping, but your camber might be a little off with our coil. The strut spacer corrects the camber, but isn’t compatible with the B6 due to binding the CV. Even without the coil, the strut spacer and B6 wouldn’t be ideal together.

We DO have customers who’ve run the B6 and coil, sans the spacer, and as long as the toe is set right the alignment is acceptable - CV life shouldn’t be compromised. Because the coil spring is a taller spring, it has no effect on the CV life, it just makes the van sit higher when there is weight on it.

·
Registered
On order R2D 250 Med Roof Crew AWD
110 Posts
I noticed in the pictures they only have it installed on a 2WD van. I wonder if they actually tried this on an AWD van to see if they would have any issues with CV joints. I'd love another lift option but........

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I noticed in the pictures they only have it installed on a 2WD van. I wonder if they actually tried this on an AWD van to see if they would have any issues with CV joints. I'd love another lift option but........
i originally saw them post about it on another forum (expedition portal) and i brought it over here. ill put in quotes what they said over there, but agreed, all pictures are 2wd. i love options--but....

from weldtec:
"There have been a ton of questions asking if the 2wd Ford Transit lift kit will work on the AWD. Unfortunately that lower arm does not work but lucky for we made one that does fit the AWD vans giving it 2" of lift. The lower arm will keep the lower ball joint at a more neutral position at ride height. We will be posting more pics and if you have any questions please let us know."

·
Registered
110 Posts
i originally saw them post about it on another forum (expedition portal) and i brought it over here. ill put in quotes what they said over there, but agreed, all pictures are 2wd. i love options--but....

from weldtec:
"There have been a ton of questions asking if the 2wd Ford Transit lift kit will work on the AWD. Unfortunately that lower arm does not work but lucky for we made one that does fit the AWD vans giving it 2" of lift. The lower arm will keep the lower ball joint at a more neutral position at ride height. We will be posting more pics and if you have any questions please let us know."
So they mention ball joint but nothing about CV and that has been I think one of the biggest issues with the AWD vans. I hope they have it sorted out. Guess we'll see!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So they mention ball joint but nothing about CV and that has been I think one of the biggest issues with the AWD vans. I hope they have it sorted out. Guess we'll see!
forgot to include another comment they made in their 2wd specific lift kit thread before they created a AWD lift thread. admittedly not much has been said since or proof of concept

"We now have a AWD kit. It will cycle all of the shock downtravel without binding in the passenger side which is the short axle side."

Reactions: Turbonsa

·
Registered
(Sold) 2020 Crew Van AWD, 148WB HR, 3.5 Ecoboost
179 Posts
Not a whole lot of detail, but more than what they've released previously I guess. A quick summary:

- "Now let's talk about the lift kit" - proceeds to not talk about the lift kit :LOL:
- 2" coil spacer
- New lower arm with heim joint to not put pivot bushing in a bind. Corrects ball joint angle. Claims it will not disrupt axle angle.

Still not clear to me how this overcomes the CV axle binding issues that VC solves by doing a combo of coil spacer + stiffer spring.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not a whole lot of detail, but more than what they've released previously I guess. A quick summary:

• "Now let's talk about the lift kit" - proceeds to not talk about the lift kit :LOL:
  • 2" coil spacer
  • New lower arm with heim joint to not put pivot bushing in a bind. Corrects ball joint angle. Claims it will not disrupt axle angle.

Still not clear to me how this overcomes the CV axle binding issues that VC solves by doing a combo of coil spacer + stiffer spring.
I asked in the comments that they explain what they are doing to explain how this lift isn't a problem with the CV joints. We'll see if they reply.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts