Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
We're late to the game ! Couldn't find a '19 that meets our goals (two of us -- multiday adventure vehicle...road/mtn bike, kitchen, kiteboarding gear...ect)

We're doing an extended high roof -- solar, small kitchen and what not based on a really pretty simple order (considered prep packages including upfitter switches/AGM house but decided I can completely isolate and install everything where we'd want it via a 'bare bones.'

But please weigh in -- are we missing something obvious?
Body: R3X (250 RWD High Roof Extended)
PowerTrain: 99G (Ecoboost)
53B -- Heavy Duty Tow
64S -- Alum Rims
X7L -- 3.73 Limited Slip
17B -- Passenger Slide and Rear Fixed Glass
52C -- Keyless Entry
90G -- PushDown Parking
21R -- Drv/Pass 10 Way Heated Ebony seats
J7 -- Magnetic Color

We're handy -- and I can add swivels to cope with the power seats -- and can wire/plumb everything...and don't need bells/whistles (nav/lane depart/cruise cntrl) and all that...just really curious for feedback.
Thx!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would think cruise control and 8" screen (58X) is no more "bell and whistle" than 10-way heated seats. Also, maybe consider the extended range tank (655) and the Vehicle Maintenance Monitor (61C).
I find electric seats aggravating (slow) and even more so when used with a swivel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think cruise control and 8" screen (58X) is no more "bell and whistle" than 10-way heated seats. Also, maybe consider the extended range tank (655) and the Vehicle Maintenance Monitor (61C).
I find electric seats aggravating (slow) and even more so when used with a swivel.
Thanks for your thoughts!
More to think about :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I almost duplicated your 2020 with my 2019. i added cruise control. I deleted the slider door glass as it limited the choise in aftermarket screened windows.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I almost duplicated your 2020 with my 2019. i added cruise control. I deleted the slider door glass as it limited the choise in aftermarket screened windows.
Dave
Hi Dave,
Thanks! Hadn't thought of a screened window in the slider. Still weighing cruise -- we just don't typically use it (mtns of CO ...) but we intend to do much longer road trips where it may be nice.

We appreciate the time it takes to reply -- any others? We're hoping to pull the trigger soon -- and start amassing parts while we wait!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
As TurboDave alluded to, the aftermarket windows don't use the same size cut outs as the OEM windows, so if you think you will want a window with a small screened sliding section, do not get the OEM windows.

I would certainly get cruise if I was doing any travelling.

Swivel seats can be made to work with the power seats, but you have to power raise the seat all the way every time, and also cut some trim around the base of the seat. Some people have indicated that the switch for the heated seats is in the way.

Not sure what the leather seat option costs these days, but a set of leather replacement covers can be had for about $700, and seat heaters with several levels of adjustability (as opposed to the OEM OFF and BROIL settings) are cheap enough in the aftermarket and you can put the switch in a better spot.

I see you spec'd the HD Tow package. If you think you are going to tow something, get the OEM trailer brake controller. It cannot be added later without quite some effort. It also integrates with the OEM trailer sway control, stability control, hill start assist, etc. An aftermarket controller will not have that functionality.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2020 order has no windows in the rear as I need them more for ventilation than viewing out. I intend to install smaller swing out screened windows in the bunk area and maybe a smaller than stock swing out screened window on the sliding door. Smaller windows will help with maintaining temp control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone,

Great tips/things to consider. Our adding of tow is to allow hitch boxes / small trailer (we have a tiny tear drop currently) rather than towing something large enough to require trailer brakes or all the extra systems to really tow (for the thousand plus of trailer sway, hill assist, and all the others -- I could rent a truck or use my fathers...) and for resale we wouldn't consider -- we drive things until they absolutely fall apart :) but it's a great check.

We'll take a hard final look at the passenger window, the seats and cruise. I think the back windows we'll keep fixed -- we'll have 'flow' with a window we'll cut where our bed will be and a roof fan (hopefully...)

Cheers all--truly appreciated,
Jeff

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Thanks everyone,

Great tips/things to consider. Our adding of tow is to allow hitch boxes / small trailer (we have a tiny tear drop currently) rather than towing something large enough to require trailer brakes or all the extra systems to really tow (for the thousand plus of trailer sway, hill assist, and all the others -- I could rent a truck or use my fathers...) and for resale we wouldn't consider -- we drive things until they absolutely fall apart :) but it's a great check.

We'll take a hard final look at the passenger window, the seats and cruise. I think the back windows we'll keep fixed -- we'll have 'flow' with a window we'll cut where our bed will be and a roof fan (hopefully...)

Cheers all--truly appreciated,
Jeff
What I ordered in 2015. Would not change any of the options. I also wanted as few bells and whistles as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all,
We're late to the game ! Couldn't find a '19 that meets our goals (two of us -- multiday adventure vehicle...road/mtn bike, kitchen, kiteboarding gear...ect)

We're doing an extended high roof -- solar, small kitchen and what not based on a really pretty simple order (considered prep packages including upfitter switches/AGM house but decided I can completely isolate and install everything where we'd want it via a 'bare bones.'

53B -- Heavy Duty Tow
64S -- Alum Rims
X7L -- 3.73 Limited Slip
52C -- Keyless Entry
90G -- PushDown Parking
J7 -- Magnetic Color

We're handy -- and I can add swivels to cope with the power seats -- and can wire/plumb everything...and don't need bells/whistles (nav/lane depart/cruise cntrl) and all that...just really curious for feedback.
Thx!!
[/QU
Hello all,

53B -- Heavy Duty Tow
64S -- Alum Rims
X7L -- 3.73 Limited Slip
52C -- Keyless Entry
90G -- PushDown Parking
J7 -- Magnetic Color

Thx!!
Curious why you are wanting to go with 3.73 rear axle? At highway speeds you’ll be in the boost versus the 3.31 which drop the rpms quite a bit. Agree that you should get the Limited Slip. If you intend to do any trips longer than just to town and back you will regret not getting the cruise control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curious why you are wanting to go with 3.73 rear axle? At highway speeds you’ll be in the boost versus the 3.31 which drop the rpms quite a bit. Agree that you should get the Limited Slip. If you intend to do any trips longer than just to town and back you will regret not getting the cruise control.
Here was our rationale ... we live (and drive most) in the Colorado High Country...(big long sustained grades) plus we plan on running slightly bigger tires once the stocks need replacement...and we'll likely be on the heavy side...

But we'll see

·
Registered
30 Posts
What does gear ratio have to do with boost?

·
Registered
80 Posts
sidewaysboy "Curious why you are wanting to go with 3.73 rear axle? At highway speeds you’ll be in the boost versus the 3.31 which drop the rpms quite a bit. Agree that you should get the Limited Slip. If you intend to do any trips longer than just to town and back you will regret not getting the cruise control. "

do i have it backwards? I thought the higher numerical value rear end meant higher revs and lower total top end speed. at least it did in my 70s camaro with a 4.11 rear end

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes, the higher the numerical value, the higher the revs. So the numerically higher 3.73 rear end will rev higher than the 3.31 . That being said it's a difference of 12%. So about 200 - 300 rpm at highway speeds. Also, despite being higher rpm it may not actually burn more fuel, since the EcoBoost motors turn at a relatively low rpm to begin with. You might actually be closer to peak torque with the 3.73 which would help your mileage. There are too many other factors (weight, temperature, fuel quality, wind resistance, etc.) to be a simple "lower is better mileage"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, the higher the numerical value, the higher the revs. So the numerically higher 3.73 rear end will rev higher than the 3.31 . That being said it's a difference of 12%. So about 200 - 300 rpm at highway speeds. Also, despite being higher rpm it may not actually burn more fuel, since the EcoBoost motors turn at a relatively low rpm to begin with. You might actually be closer to peak torque with the 3.73 which would help your mileage. There are too many other factors (weight, temperature, fuel quality, wind resistance, etc.) to be a simple "lower is better mileage"
that's what i've always thought - but sidewaysboy's comment seems to indicate the turbos will be kicking in more with the 3.73 rear end, and my experience with turbos, limited to a VW R32 with a HPA turbo kit is that the turbos only kick in when you put your foot into it, ie gas it - is there something different in the control of the 3.5 Ecoboost?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts