Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to order a Webasto Airtop 2000 STC from "Heaters For You" with a remote temperature sensor, but received the following message....

Thank you for the order.
I must to inform you that Webasto heater Air Top remote temperature sensor is not compatible with Webasto Airtop 2000 STC. Webasto removed this function from new heaters Webasto Airtop 2000 STC. They also removed a connector for the remote temperature sensor from wiring.
We can cancel your order completely or partially and refund your money.
Looking forward for response

Best regards, Andrey

Is this true? Can you no longer have a remote temperature sensor? Do any suppliers still have the model with temperature sensor? Do I need the remote temperature sensor, or am I making too big of a deal. I plan to mount it under the passanger seat of my high top 148WB.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You probably dont need it. I have looked at the schematics for the STC and it still has the possibilities for a remote temp sensor but I havent seen a wiring harness that has a wire from that pin on the webasto unit. The webasto unit measures air temp going into the unit so unless you are mounting it under or outside of the van a remote temp sensor I dont think is necessary.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a remote temperature sensor on my AT 2000 STC. Ordered it from here: heater Air Top 2000 ST STC remote temperature sensor |1319842A | 9005004B

Claims comparability with STC. It's actually infuriatingly hard to tell if it's actually doing anything based on the readout from the control unit because it won't display actual measured temps, just the set point. I was definitely having issues with temperature control last winter (I'd fry all night long unless I set the temp to like 50F), but I think I figured out the reason was a bad crimp on the external sensor wire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I’m
I have a remote temperature sensor on my AT 2000 STC. Ordered it from here: heater Air Top 2000 ST STC remote temperature sensor |1319842A | 9005004B

Claims comparability with STC. It's actually infuriatingly hard to tell if it's actually doing anything based on the readout from the control unit because it won't display actual measured temps, just the set point. I was definitely having issues with temperature control last winter (I'd fry all night long unless I set the temp to like 50F), but I think I figured out the reason was a bad crimp on the external sensor wire.
I’m guessing but do you have the MultiControl or another controller? Also does your harness have connectors for the multicontrol and the rheostat and did the harness have wires that the temp sensor to plug into?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m

I’m guessing but do you have the MultiControl or another controller? Also does your harness have connectors for the multicontrol and the rheostat and did the harness have wires that the temp sensor to plug into?
I have the multicontrol. The harness has two 4-pin plugs, one that works with the multicontrol, and one that works with the rheostat. I had to peel back a wire from the harness that had a fixed resistor on it, clip out the resistor, and crimp on the 2-wire connector for the temperature sensor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m

Also, this wiring diagram was correct in my experience: https://www.butlertechnik.com/downloads/Webasto_Airtop_2000STC_Installation_manual.pdf

From page 65:

R1 is the resistor that needs to be removed, and connector X11 is included in the external sensor kit. R1 gets replaced with thermistor B4.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That sounds like the same controller and harness that I had on my last van. My current airtop 2000stc has a much cheaper harness with only 4 wires that go to the rheostat so if I wanted an interior temp sensor I would need to add the wires to the webasto main plug, not sure if I'm going to do that yet

·
Registered
100 Posts
That sounds like the same controller and harness that I had on my last van. My current airtop 2000stc has a much cheaper harness with only 4 wires that go to the rheostat so if I wanted an interior temp sensor I would need to add the wires to the webasto main plug, not sure if I'm going to do that yet
Mmmm... strange. Maybe you get a different harness based on what kit you buy? I got mine from Heatso and ordered it with the multicontrol, so maybe they send a different harness.

That said, and back to one of the original questions, I can't stand how the heaters run without an external temp sensor. I have mine installed under the passenger seat and so it always pulls in very cold air and dumps out the heat if its using the internal sensor and I have trouble sleeping because it gets so hot. If the heater were installed somewhere that it was recirculating hotter air I can see the internal thermostat being much more useful than it is in my installation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the feedback. I have decided to keep the sensor on the order and see what I can do. I'll take pictures and update the thread when it arrives.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts