Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

To be "fair" the vehicles would have to be identical, and the laws of physics then say it would be a tie. However, this tug of war is between two vehicles to demonstrate which of the two designs is better at tugging. It's like when vehicle mfgs say "best in class" for towing, power, payload, cupholders. It's saying there is a difference, and if tugging other vehicles by the butt end is your thing, the cybertruck is going to be better at it than a 2wd F-150.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
What fuel to fire the boiler? I want nuclear.
Or hydrogen. Or even wood. There's a very cool wood/sawdust/etc burning 5-10kw generator that makes almost no pollution, fits in the back of a pickup. I don't know why it hasn't caught on as a way to power an electric drivetrain.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Burning wood is no different than burning gasoline with regard to carbon dioxide emissions.
But in the case of the biomass/wood burning generator the smoke is recycled through the combustion chamber over and over until there is almost no particles left, and then it goes through a filter. Like an EGR for wood smoke.

And wood/biomass grows back fairly quickly, unlike oil, which we aren't even 100% certain how it's formed or from what. Read about the abiotic oil theory, and why some dry wells are found full again decades later. But even if true, it doesn't replenish as fast as we're burning it up for joyrides and fetching groceries. Petrochemicals are on the endangered list, especially since India and China want to have the same wasteful lifestyle we enjoy in the USA. Imagine 3 BILLION additional people living like the 325 million people in the USA (a billion is a thousand million). If that happens, world oil reserves will be gone in just a couple years, not 50.

Of course the root of all these pollution, transportation, energy and other problems is global over-population, but no one really wants to consider that.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Here's the biomass power generator I saw at Maker Faire:

Stick this in the back of an electric pickup to charge the batteries and/or power the engine.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
It is not so much of a question that the oil will last another 50 years, It is a question of when will gasoline go above $5 dollars a gallon. Will they keep gas cheap till the end to try to support the economy.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It is not so much of a question that the oil will last another 50 years, It is a questen of when will gasoline go above $5 dollars a gallon. Will they keep gas cheap till the end to try to support the economy.
Not only are they going to keep gas prices cheap ( if you want to call $2.70 cents per gallon cheap ) to keep hoards of people showing up to the shopping centers and eateries , alot of companies are now starting to give away free bus passes to all employees mainly as a acentive to get the employees to work , the bus pass isn't just to go to and from work , anywhere they want to ride the local bus is free.
They bus in a lot of ex con's that where recently released from prison , the bus passes are given free but i imagine they're going to end up lowering the wages even lower to get there money back , we all know nothings for free , there's always a catch.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Of course the root of all these pollution, transportation, energy and other problems is global over-population, but no one really wants to consider that.
Right, no one ever wants to mention the truth, so what do you suggest genocide?

To be "fair" the vehicles would have to be identical, and the laws of physics then say it would be a tie. However, this tug of war is between two vehicles to demonstrate which of the two designs is better at tugging. It's like when vehicle mfgs say "best in class" for towing, power, payload, cupholders. It's saying there is a difference, and if tugging other vehicles by the butt end is your thing, the cybertruck is going to be better at it than a 2wd F-150.
It is nothing but a traction test, and even 2 exact vehicles, would have one break traction and supposedly lose.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Right, no one ever wants to mention the truth, so what do you suggest genocide?
How come everyone thinks reducing the population has to happen overnight, or within a month?
No, genocide is wrong. You don't "kill off" people who already exist, you reduce birth rates (yeah, people don't need to knee-jerk to "killing unborn babies"; read on). I'd suggest increased access to birth control for those that want it (many if not most in the 3rd world DO want it, asap), and a change to having just 1-2 children as the most desirable family scenario. In the USA (which isn't the biggest population offender but is the biggest per-person resource user) possibly a FEE for having more than two kids instead of a TAX BREAK, or just remove any tax breaks for having any kids. Regardless, if people could be self-monitoring and reduce their child-production for their own economic self interest, we could get to sustainable population levels theoretically within one generation (roughly 25 years), but it would probably take 2-3. No need to have any violent actions like genocide or forced abortions or "secret" infertility drugs put in the water system. It's hard to fight biologic drives and outdated religious doctrine (go forth and multiply), though.

Call me a Malthusian, or Thanos, but if we DON'T get a handle on global population soon we'll be facing famine in many places, long and bloody wars over resources, riots, complete depletion of natural resources, fishless seas, unfightable diseases; basically the Four Horsemen. It would be better to head it off by reducing global birth rates voluntarily. Technology is NOT going to save the day; unless it comes up with a way to leave the planet and live on another one...in the next 100 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Allah wants them to be fruitful and multiply their cult followers, so we are going to end up extincting ourselves with the BC plan. Genocide has been going on since the beginning of time, US and other countries commit it on a daily basis.

The earth will purge itself of us and resolve the problem. Bigger population leads to more disease, wars, and famine as you suggested.

Okay back to stopping electric cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The irony here, is that 75% of truck owners tow once or less per year.... and even fewer go off-roading. So, these are hardly arguments for one truck over another.
Second... An EV's 'poor' performance at high speed isn't because it's 'worse'. Physics dictates that the friction at high speeds, and 'power' needed to counter them are the same regardless of propulsion method. The reason it looks so different is more reflective of how poorly ICE vehicles perform in the city. Considering how a vast majority of trucks are used, EV trucks are far more practical. But for long haul, heavy pulling... a big diesel makes the most sense.
So, calling these things 'necessities' for competing is kinda silly.
That design on the other hand... will be a challenge.

·
Registered
859 Posts
LOL, I would love to see that grocery getter tow my 12K trailer all day. Exactly, trucks were designed to be cars. LOL

You sure do defend that truck, did you perchance put in an early order?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Forgot to mention all the snow plows and sanders mounted on pickups during the recent storm. I wonder how Tesla would do pushing a plow, hauling a ton of sand, not to mention the additional electric required to run them. That PU is going to go into the museum of stupid ideas.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Another fail, driving in low temps, and snowy roads. Loses 40% range, not carrying a load.

You know, I always felt I would be happy to own an electric car or truck, but I changed my mind.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts