Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
internal combustion drivetrain can't really compete with electric; 100% of torque available at all speeds/rpms. The main problem with EV dragsters and hotrods is that they snap driveshafts and axles, and tear off the wheel bolts or cause the rims to spin inside the tires due to the high torque being applied instantly.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
theres a breed of conservative *** who for some reason delights in polution and is terrified of progress and electric vehicles are the stuff of their night terrors. I recently commented on a car and driver face book post and no less than three sad boys went on rants about sitting in front of the california governors mansion and smoking not only their emission deleted smog machines but destroying their tires in hours long burnouts.......apparently there's some desperate hope this goofy act will somehow get them laid, finally.
Yeah, this behavior baffles me. I have no idea what frightens them so much about cleaner air, faster cars, cheaper cost to drive. The whole "rolling coal" and "ICEing" thing where they block chargers is a sure sign of sociopathy. And Tesla seems to be the main target for some reason, with dozens of vids being shared every day of people keying or otherwise vandalizing Tesla cars for no apparent reason (Tesla has integrated security cameras on a lot of models).

They can't all be independently coming to this same behavior, they are probably being goaded on by someone preying on the fears of the gullible and those of lessor cognitive ability. I suspect they get their "information" from some out-of-touch old man with a radio program in Florida. I still haven't figured out a plausible motive or agenda.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
I am starting to smell some TDS in the thread, maybe you guys need a couple of Antifa members to help you prove your point? Or how about the people that openly sheit in the street on Trump signs, and all the other BS they did. Yup that is your side. Be proud! (y)

Used to be a time, when we would vote, leave the booth and get over it if our candidate lost. So now we are going to have to hear all the same old whining for 5 more years. :cry:

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It's funny when technology and new products become symbols of some sort of political fealty. We've really gone backwards as a nation and a people. I blame the easy access to editorial opinions passed off as "facts", and the people who don't know the difference. Yes, on both "sides". Oh, and the dysfunctional "two party system" that continues to purposefully divide people solely to get power and money, manipulating the gullible into rabid supporters who simply shout the party talking points and never actually think for themself.

We've been down this road before on this forum. It's bumpy, and a dead end.

·
Registered
859 Posts
It's funny when technology and new products become symbols of some sort of political fealty. We've really gone backwards as a nation and a people. I blame the easy access to editorial opinions passed off as "facts", and the people who don't know the difference. Yes, on both "sides". Oh, and the dysfunctional "two party system" that continues to purposefully divide people solely to get power and money, manipulating the gullible into rabid supporters who simply shout the party talking points and never actually think for themself.

We've been down this road before on this forum. It's bumpy, and a dead end.
Good statement, but too bad you already dragged yourself into it. I ignored the 1st TDS statement, but the second one was enough. You see there are bad people on both sides of the ideology game, to single one side out is just foolish.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe there will begin to be a large shift in the transportation we use within the next 5 years. Autonomous vehicles are almost here! It will start in the big cities, then slowly radiate all across the USA. The business/cost model for owning a car will quickly change. Why own your own car when you will be able to buy into a Uber/Lyft like plan where all you do is use an app on your phone to schedule your work commute, weekend trips and errands. Depending on cost, you could also ride share to save money. How many hours a day does your car sit at home or in a parking lot at work. Autonomous vehicles will drop you off then go to the next scheduled trip.
Yes, we will still have recreation vehicles, and fun cars. Having autonomous vehicles has the potential to take thousands of cars off the road and reduce gridlock in many bid cities. I presume that municipalities will push for autonomous vehicles to be electric to try to further clean up the air.
The other leapfrog in transportation might be from autonomous personal flying vehicles. Ehang and Sikorsky are already in the certification stage for autonomous air taxis.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tijoe; in the USA, particularly the West part, we have this ingrained car-culture that will be hard to replace once it becomes too expensive to maintain. People willingly live 10, 15, even 50 miles from where they work and spend hours every day driving their personal vehicle to get to and from work, by themself. Because of creeping incrementalism, they don't see anything wrong with this. And when more people move into the area and traffic slows, they blame bicycles or seagulls or something, and demand 5 more lanes be added to the 4-lane highway. Public and private mass transport is FAR more efficient and cost effective for the user, but it isn't safe at all, around here at least.

Call me ok boomer, but I'm a little worried about the advent of spyware and tattle-tale sensors being required in vehicles once automation becomes widespread. We're already seeing it tried out in some places as a "test program". The software and hardware to connect the vehicle to networks will already be in there, so a bit of software that sends and records data to the DOT or others is a simple addition. They might even have the capability to render the vehicle inoperable if registration or insurance is past due. Which thinking about it, isn't a bad thing. Driving is a privilege, not a Right.

EVs are loaded with software, because they need it to operate. And because they are a newer vehicle on the market, they have up to date connections and software. So there are more likely to lead the way into interconnected vehicles. Therefore we should stop EVs from being made and all drive coal burning giant pickups with Confederate flags at least 100 miles a day each. You know, to create jobs.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Exactly, I like to lead my own destiny, not leave it in the hands of a computer. I am glad I am not in the city where some authoritarian figure, will try and penilze people that want to drive themselves.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We are not "almost there" on autonomous vehicles. All of the self driving and control stuff is figured out. The AI for actually driving a car autonomously is not and will not be there for at least a decade if were being optimistic about it.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
We are living in a bubble, Peak Oil was 20 years ago and now we are squeezing the last drops of oil out of the ground with Fracking. At some point, Probably not too far off in time, Gas prices will go back up.
It's funny that we're (USA) ramping up production to squeeze every last drop. If it were me, I'd continue buying crude from other countries until they didn't have any, and we (USA) had the last major reserves on the planet. I guess in the big picture it improves the economy via transport and trade, but when we are done with all the easy to get oil the crash is going to be HUGE, globally. Personally, I don't think the temporary economic gains of increasing production are worth the global depression when cheap oil runs out. But the people facilitating this oil production/use increase will all be dead by then, so what do they care? We're a nation of locusts, more or less. The parable of the Ant and the Grasshopper comes to mind, except the human ant in the future isn't likely to save the grasshopper. The real waste is that we're not using the oil to create industries and infrastructure that will last beyond the demise of oil, we're mainly using it for convenience and entertainment. Just burning it up, like a pile of boards used to make a campfire to keep warm instead of using them to make a building to go in to be warm.

Some day, people will bemoan the ponderous waste of gasoline to just drive around for fun, or to drive a personal vehicle 25+ miles a day by themself to work and back. Electricity can be produced in myriad ways, and distributed cheaply and easily. The wallet always wins; once gas/diesel are glaringly more expensive than electricity to power a vehicle or machinery, there will be a mass change-over. Kind of like when cars became faster and more convenient than horses.

·
Registered
859 Posts
According to this, we still have 50+ years of oil. I am sure we will be alternative powered before 50 years.

OTOH, people can drive coal powered electric cars.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yeah, it's time to revisit steam type engines and throw modern technology and materials at them. No, really.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts