21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My first glance at the Cybertruck design was like "WTF?!" but now it's growing on me. I'm sure the production model will look significantly different. I'd suggest a flat section of roof, maybe 2-3', so racks can be attached and interior rear headroom improved.

This was obviously a one-off concept vehicle, it squatted down about a foot and a half when the eATV was driven up into it. And the glass broke way too easy (oops!).

·
Registered
859 Posts
I would not buy that Fugly looking thing. Ford is already going to have electric pickups out while those who put a deposit on vaporware are still waiting.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tesla really jumped the shark with the cybertruck. 140,000 orders already, by which Elon means he got 140,000 likes on his Tweet. I am certain Tesla will sell 50,000 in Silicon Valley to 28 year old “CEO”s before the ink has dried on their series-B funding. Waaaaay too flashy for everyone else. The Rivian OTOH looks great.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I spoke too soon about the squatting bed, it does it on PURPOSE with air suspension to make loading easier.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/7-funky-features-teslas-cybertruck (REAL news for you troglodytes...)

I used to think the original Tesla cars were just toys for rich people, but they had to start somewhere. The cybertruck seems a perfect fit for 90% of non-fleet pickup drivers; it's over-powered, flashy, plush like a car, and fits an a garage, where it will live between trips to the mall. The projected price really isn't that much compared to similarly equipped pickups like F-150.

Things I really like:
electric
stainless steel body
radically high ground clearance and approach/departure angles
integrated storage

wtf?
poor visibility
roofline
those hubcaps
yolk steering
cement dashboard

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If some Merikuns had their way, all pickups would still look like this crewcab, because Change is BAD, NEW is SUSPICIOUS, and GET off my LAWN:

I imagine owners of this thought the next generation body style was "awful" because change is bad:

and then THIS horrible modern shape surely a mistake:

and it keeps getting worse and worse:

when what Mericans REALLY want is NO change, ever.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If some Merikuns had their way, all pickups would still look like this crewcab, because Change is BAD, NEW is SUSPICIOUS, and GET off my LAWN:
View attachment 130733

I imagine owners of this thought the next generation body style was "awful" because change is bad:
View attachment 130734
and then THIS horrible modern shape surely a mistake:
View attachment 130735
and it keeps getting worse and worse:
View attachment 130736
View attachment 130737
View attachment 130738
View attachment 130739
View attachment 130740

when what Mericans REALLY want is NO change, ever.

View attachment 130741
Some nice looking trucks you posted there, and yep, they look like trucks. (y)

I like the second one the best.

Next you will tell us that the Tesla is going to be the number one selling pickup. LOL

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some nice looking trucks you posted there, and yep, they look like trucks. (y)

I like the second one the best.

Next you will tell us that the Tesla is going to be the number one selling pickup. LOL

Hardly going to be the best selling. It's a niche vehicle, and cannot compete with the brand loyalty and marketing power of Ford or Dodge. And as mentioned, most pickup buyers are VERY resistant to change, and the cybertruck doesn't look like the pickup they bought last year, or twenty years ago, or 50 years ago (they all look alike except for tiny details). There are still domestic vehicle fans that hate the Transit because it doesn't look like the econoline, which didn't really change at all from 1965 to 2018. I think a lot of people want to live in suspended animation, where everything stays the same forever. That's not a fault, it's just a fact.

If I were designing a truck from the ground up, it wouldn't LOOK like the cybertruck, and if I were designing one to be a big seller, it would look as close to possible to existing pickups, because that's what the market demands. I don't think Musk wanted to make a pickup that would be a best seller. Mainly because they couldn't possibly meet demand with manufacturing ability, but they CAN make several thousand a year for discerning customers.

on an aside, if I were lead designer, the truck would look something like an old VW van pickup crossed with a Unimog; a cabover EV with all the batteries and motors in a shielded chassis to keep a low center of gravity, and extreme approach/departure angles. Less than 7' wide and 16' long, with a 4x8' minimum pickup bed. And probably a little swoopy and less angular than the cybertruck, again, like a small Unimog. On one would buy it, because it doesn't look like every pickup made for the last 50 years. Appearance is EVERYTHING when trying to sell cars.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Econoline did not change? LOL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E_Series

Interesting they had only 4 generations for such a long run.
OTOH you can argue, Transit did not change, Sprinter did not change, Dodge did not change, Chevy did not change. Nissan and most others copied the Econoline. How can you change a vehcile that serves a unique purpose? Lets see, maybe they should have made round vans?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My first thought about the Tesla Pickup is that it is hideous looking!
But I dont know, The more I look at it the more I kind of like it because it is so different then anything else out there.
People probably thought the same thing back in the 1950s about Tailfins on cars.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
On the evolution of pickups, I like the 1930's body styles the most. Something ugly happened in the 1960's, probably alien technology discovered at Roswell being integrated, and they haven't recovered since then.

On the unibody pickups, that big triangle D pillar is structurally important. And all the trucks that have it look ugly to me; Avalanche, Honda, Brat. And it looks like the Big Three are all planning more unibody pickups. The cybertruck doesn't try to hide or disguise that important structural element, it tries to make it a usable component. Still, it creates huge blind spots and doesn't allow you to drape yourself over the bed of the pickup as you and your buddies tell bullshit stories after work. And it doesn't allow much side access to the bed, if any.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
There are a couple in the works:
GM

Ford

Neither will be available in the USA because only 14-15 people would buy them.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ranchero and El Camino aren't trucks or cars; they are a way of life.

·
Registered
131 Posts
theres a breed of conservative ******* who for some reason delights in polution and is terrified of progress and electric vehicles are the stuff of their night terrors. I recently commented on a car and driver face book post and no less than three sad boys went on rants about sitting in front of the california governors mansion and smoking not only their emission deleted smog machines but destroying their tires in hours long burnouts.......apparently there's some desperate hope this goofy act will somehow get them laid, finally.

·
Registered
131 Posts
this thing is ugly as sin but .......https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/tesla-cybertruck-and-ford-f-150-play-tug-of-war-looks-like-an-uneven-match/

21 - 40 of 78 Posts