Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some wax on my Transit to help slow down the sun damage. Being a medium roof it is rather tall so I'm wondering how you guys wax it. Im going to use a tall ladder but even still I may not be able to reach the middle of the roof. Can you carefully climb on top of the Transit or will it dent in and/or cause seam leaks?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
No you cannot step on the roof. Search for some workarounds people have done but I don't remember anything easy. Easiest might be long mop to reach the middle. Two step ladders on each side with a scaffold board? Be a pain waxing below where you're sitting.

I haven't even washed my HR after a year. The thought of waxing it makes my knees weak and willpower evaporate. Along the idea of a drone, how about one of those Roomba floor washers with wax instead of soap? Not sure how to keep it on the roof.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
SOMEONE on the forum said that you can walk on the roof if you've insulated the underneath of it. But they were probably playing a practical joke on a newby. Also, the microscopic rocks and grit in the soles of your shoes would ruin the paint if you walked on it.

I get up on a 6' stepladder and can reach the middle of the roof. An 8' ladder would be better. Parking next to a tall loading dock, deck or fence you can stand on works, too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
SOMEONE on the forum said that you can walk on the roof if you've insulated the underneath of it. But they were probably playing a practical joke on a newby. Also, the microscopic rocks and grit in the soles of your shoes would ruin the paint if you walked on it.

I get up on a 6' stepladder and can reach the middle of the roof. An 8' ladder would be better. Parking next to a tall loading dock, deck or fence you can stand on works, too.

I'm only 5'5" and can just reach middle of the roof on a 6' ladder. Have waxed mine several times.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'll probably give it a scrub and a rinse before installing the solar panels. After that I may rinse it whenever I clean the panels. Waxing? Probably not in the van roof's future.

For those afflicted with a strong desire for shine, you might have one of the new coatings that nothing can stick to professionally applied up there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since it is such a difficult task, you could consider having it ceramic coated. Lasts a lot longer than wax. A lot of high end cars are getting ceramic coating from the dealers when new.

·
Super Moderator
1,650 Posts
I'm going to wash mine really well, then cover it in white vinyl wrap to reflect the heat. The vinyl wrap will protect the paint.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been planning on using a friends loading dock. I wash the top of the transit with a ladder. but want to stand on more solid footing when waxing it. the idea is to pull along side the elevated loading dock and work one one side at a time

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I find it quite dangerous to wash the top of my MR up close (when I've let it go too far between long-handle brush washing). Sure, use a 6 or 8 ft ladder. But, everything's wet and soapy. You're leaning against the top edge of the van... stabilize yourself with one hand on the edge, and reach far out there with the other. If your one hand slips, you're going down! If your foot slips on the ladder, you're going down! If you do something clumsy, you may cause the ladder to hit the van.

I've got my single rail on the slider side, for my tarp awning. Having something solid to hang onto has helped a lot.

I recently got an estimate from a detailer, to clay bar and wax the top of the van. $150. They said they'd use a ladder as I've described. I had expected they might have a scaffold. I'd like to let go of the the $150 to have it done, but, frankly, I don't trust the detail shop guys to do the job safely, and completely, and without causing damage of their own -- while working from a ladder.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
For about that amount you can buy one of the folding/extension ladders that is designed to be disassembled to work as a scaffold.

This is what I used when installing the roof rail kit. I also used motorcycle tie-downs to secure each ladder portion to the vehicle and an 8' 2X10 as a walking surface. It was very stable.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My airline used mops. Worked. I never liked walking on top of cargo compartments unless the aircraft came with a hatch for access.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hate to wax our van but do wax the after some trips to remove "desert pinstripes"
as we live in the desert never park out side when parked at home have always had a rv garage
just for this reason, paint stays shiny and rubber/plastic maintains appearance.

Plus its easy to load and unload!

Les,lqhikers

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
People concerned about rust and corrosion might consider having vinyl film applied to the top. It's really durable.

People concerned about keeping their van looking showroom-condition have weird priorities.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just did mine today, paste wax at that. I'm 6'4" and have a 3' reach so a ladder works fine for me. Helps that I have a large, flat paved area, am young enough to still have coordination and wear nitrile gloves (you simply don't slip). Took me 4~5 hours to do the whole van, but I dressed the engine compartment, and all the exterior plastics too.

It's a PITA, but a $25 can of wax that'll last me a decade between 2 vehicles is something I can afford vs. that newfangled ceramic coating that's not exactly DIY friendly. And the paste wax simply does a better job of keeping the top from becoming a living roof when compared to spray waxes I've tried.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've decided to use trained monkeys. :D

I waxed the cab (just the cab!) of our Isuzu NPR once because it was showing signs of oxidation. It helped, for a while, but it was not a job I repeated. I also washed the top of the box... again just once. Both jobs were not fun - that ladder thing y'all were talking about.

Not to scare everybody, but considering most Transits are white, our experience with white vehicles over 30-some years has not been good relative to paint longevity. Our Explorer needed to be waxed every three years or so just to keep the paint from oxidizing away. It was almost sandpaper each time. I never used a clay bar on it, mostly out of fear it would remove so much "bad" paint there would be nothing left in the long run. Maybe Ford's utilitarian white has improved in the 20 years since our Explorer, but maybe not.

Our experience with metallic paints has been much, much better. I've never waxed our 10-year-old Element other than the spray-on snake oil at the local robo wash, and just two days ago was complemented that "it looked like new!" from a knowledgeable car guy.

Anyway, our game plan is covered storage, and maybe spritz the front every once in a while to deal with the bug guts. In the three months we've had it, it's been wand-washed once, and then only 'cause of the layer of dust accumulated from many miles on unpaved roads. The recent rainstorms have been a boon, saving me from a bunch of work I really don't feel like doing. I will be surprised if I ever feel the need to wax it, and, if so, I will for sure shop it out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I installed my solar panel, I climbed up and turned the roof into the surface of the moon. This was with two roof rails, and I'm super light. The only way it gets waxed is the spray on wax at the self car wash, which gets sprayed off a minute later.

This being my first Ford, I'm amazed at how things the paint is. Whenever I stare too long in one spot, the paint wears through to bare metal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My old van I washed once a year where it needed it or not, never even considered waxing it. It was a Sprinter van and I waxed the sides, and the top was quite honestly the only area I didn't have an issue with rust. It sat outside for 14 years but it never really got salt from the roads up that high and no stone chips. Don't really feel I hurt anything by not waxing it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts