Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I was not sure the best place for this question but this group seams to know everything and answer quickly.
We drove to Oregon this weekend to pick up some stuff at DIYVan. It rained almost the whole way. When we got to camp we were setting up for the night and I found water on the left side of the van right in front of the wheel well up against the body. It was all contained in the little pocket on the side. We dried it up and watched for more. On the way home we hit a little rain but not as much and it did not really get wet.
After getting home I looked at it and I can now see light coming thru where the wheel well meets the body. Just a small spot but enough to let water in.

My question is what should I use to seal that hole up that will last as long as I have the van?
Also where else should I look for leaks and maybe add sealing compound before I close everything up with a camper build and not see any leaks?
I'm glad we found this leak now and not after we had mold and or rust.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would recommend using Dicor lap sealant. At least that's what I used on the top of my van on the rack mount holes when I found water leaking in.

In my experience there are a few spots where these vans will leak:
1. The rack mount holes on the van roof. The holes are capped with a plastic disk that is taped on.
2. The body panel mount holes for the plastic trim.
3. The windshield wiper well where the water drains off of the windshield and is supposed to exit through the engine bay. Sometimes the drain holes get plugged and the water leaks down to the drivers' side foot well.

-Mike

·
Registered
2017 Ford Transit 350 Passenger Wagon
105 Posts
Like Stone, we used lap sealent on the roof but we used butyl tape on the plastic trim holes. We also left some of the latter open to drain. You just have to make a habit of clearing the drains at the base of the windshield (although ice can be problematic).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Stone, we used lap sealent on the roof but we used butyl tape on the plastic trim holes. We also left some of the latter open to drain. You just have to make a habit of clearing the drains at the base of the windshield (although ice can be problematic).
So how do I get the side trim off if I have too?
I will search on the topic and see what I can find

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
210 Posts
Geocell Proflex for vertical surfaces, Dicor for horizontal. Proflex is a pretty amazing product- it can be reapplied on top of itself- unlike silicone which most RV owners know to NEVER use.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it be safe to use Sikaflex on the body joint between the wheel well on side body to plug that leak? I ask because I have plenty on hand and it seams very strong.
I would not use it for the plastic molding as you might never get it off.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the other great thing about Proflex- you can use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up then scrape it. Then acetone will clean up the rest.
The leak I have is between body parts and will never be taken apart so I want something permanent that will never come off.
The proflex or butyl tape will be fine for the other places.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did not even think of that but yes that would work. I even think I have some on hand.
Going to have my wife hit it with a hose from the outside to make sure I have the right places that leak and then seal them from inside and outside after drying them out for a couple days.

Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why one would choose lap sealant for an area inside the van that doesn't need to "flow out" to look good (not that I think lap sealant looks good, but don't get me started 😆 ). Or maybe I'm misunderstanding where this is?

So just to get a little more info before recommending something (IMO):

--Are the two surfaces both painted metal?
--Is this something where the two surfaces need to expand and contract? Are there different materials that might do so at different rates?
--Will the sealant be cosmetically visible?
--Will the sealant be exposed to UV light (sun)?
-- Will it be exposed to excessive heat, fuel or anything else remarkable?

·
Registered
2021 AWD Ecoboost High Roof
201 Posts
This is a common issue. Our van had this happen in front of the right rear wheel well. The dealer should fix this under warranty using body seam sealer of some variety. You can get seam sealer at any auto parts store too if you don't want to deal with the dealer (pun intended).

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off I was not sure the best place for this question but this group seams to know everything and answer quickly.
We drove to Oregon this weekend to pick up some stuff at DIYVan. It rained almost the whole way. When we got to camp we were setting up for the night and I found water on the left side of the van right in front of the wheel well up against the body. It was all contained in the little pocket on the side. We dried it up and watched for more. On the way home we hit a little rain but not as much and it did not really get wet.
After getting home I looked at it and I can now see light coming thru where the wheel well meets the body. Just a small spot but enough to let water in.

My question is what should I use to seal that hole up that will last as long as I have the van?
Also where else should I look for leaks and maybe add sealing compound before I close everything up with a camper build and not see any leaks?
I'm glad we found this leak now and not after we had mold and or rust.
Brandon, I have a 2022Transit Cargo 350HD Ext HR and before I started on my build, I was hoping for a really heavy rain storm. Well we got one and so I drove around and looked for some large puddles of water. Afterwards, I checked and the only few drops of water I found were also along both Dually wheel wells. Just a few drops. So I'm of the mindset that you should always try and stop leaks at the source. So I picked up some 3M Bondo Rubberized Undercoating in a spray can. Removed the 4 wheels on the back and sprayed a couple of coats along the wheel well seams where they met with the body and floor panels. The stuff was pretty thick coming from the can so I'm hoping it will help. Hoping a heavy storm comes soon or I'll need to hunt down a hose somewhere. Living in an apartment so a hose is not available : / The material from the can has similar consistency of all typical under coatings from the factory.
Anyway, sharing your pain.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brandon, I have a 2022Transit Cargo 350HD Ext HR and before I started on my build, I was hoping for a really heavy rain storm. Well we got one and so I drove around and looked for some large puddles of water. Afterwards, I checked and the only few drops of water I found were also along both Dually wheel wells. Just a few drops. So I'm of the mindset that you should always try and stop leaks at the source. So I picked up some 3M Bondo Rubberized Undercoating in a spray can. Removed the 4 wheels on the back and sprayed a couple of coats along the wheel well seams where they met with the body and floor panels. The stuff was pretty thick coming from the can so I'm hoping it will help. Hoping a heavy storm comes soon or I'll need to hunt down a hose somewhere. Living in an apartment so a hose is not available : / The material from the can has similar consistency of all typical under coatings from the factory.
Anyway, sharing your pain.
I think I will do the same and do some stuff on the inside also

1 - 20 of 30 Posts