Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
ON ITS WAY: 2022 W2X 350 HR LWB AWD
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Washingtonians, anyone have good experiences with getting Insurance you’d like to share?

I’m especially interested in before vs. after your buildout experiences. Were you able to insure the full build?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Washingtonians, anyone have good experiences with getting Insurance you’d like to share?

I’m especially interested in before vs. after your buildout experiences. Were you able to insure the full build?

Thanks!

I think insurance is great, but once you run into them not paying you off it’s very disappointing.
I’m up in Bellingham. I don’t have any insurance on it,i only have broad form. I figured just drive safe and I’ll be good I know I’m $120k into it.
id rather take the chances and not deal with insurance. It’s the same on all my other exotics and daily drivers.

·
Registered
2021 AWD MR Crew 148
64 Posts
I live in Bellingham and have State Farm. They were fine with insuring the van and after 6 months I got a drive safe discount because they could see how I drive it and how much (via bluetooth beacon).

They sent me a Customization Report that you can use to add coverage for the build. I have not done it yet so cannot comment on my experience there. But I just printed it out and will do that on the weekend. If you are not in a hurry I can report back. My guess is they may put a limit on it but don't have any data to back that up yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I was researching insurance State Farm was consistently the one people mentioned. Right now mine is insured as a daily driver, but when I re-title as an RV they'll switch to RV insurance and it ought to go down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live on Orcas Island, have had Liberty Mutual insurance on everything
for many years.
I registered my 2021 Transit as a personal vehicle and was given two quotes
from my LM agent (for $1K deduct, 250/500 bodily injury, 250/500/100 UM) -
$1450/yr as a motorhome and $960/yr as a personal vehicle.
I care very much about liability, collision and comprehensive in that order
but not much about insuring my $12K modifications (commodity gear,
mostly my labor which is not insurable) so chose to insure the vehicle
as a personal vehicle.

Reactions: Captadv

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
183 Posts
When I was researching insurance State Farm was consistently the one people mentioned. Right now mine is insured as a daily driver, but when I re-title as an RV they'll switch to RV insurance and it ought to go down.
"Right now mine is insured as a daily driver, but when I re-title as an RV they'll switch to RV insurance and it ought to go down. "
Any verifiable reason to make this statement? My experience in WA state is cargo van rates changed to RV or post-build rates are 40 to 50% higher. But State Farm may be different because as most of us know that like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So apparently GEICO will not insure a cargo van as a personal vehicle. They will insure it ONLY as a motorhome - but for that they apparently need a kitchen, bathroom and plumbed water - which I am not planning to have. so will have to find another company... probably state farm or liberty mutual...

·
Registered
Ordered - 2022 350 HR AWD EB in Blue Jean Metallic
145 Posts
I just got a quote from Nationwide and they had no problem covering it and no questions about adding $40k to cover the build out.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
4 Posts
I use nationwide as well. I purchased an estimate value from an RV appraiser which put my build $20k over my actual cost which nationwide insured.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PEMCO definitely covers Cargo Vans, my VIN is for a 350 as well.

They also said once my build was done, I should call back with the value of my build. I would need to add-up my receipts and possibly provide some pictures of my completed build.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sooo it turns out the PEMCO agent was a liar.
Immediately after collecting my multi-car and home policy payment they asked me for pictures of the van and then said, well when your build be done? We won't insure a cargo van.

I went with State Farm which was also cheaper.

State Farm is a tad more bare bones, they don't cover windshields with no deductible for example.

State Farm also said, when I was done my build I could up my coverage if I wanted with receipts and pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We get insurance through an independent agent and currently have Pemco for home and auto. However we were told that Pemco would likely not renew our policy on a cargo van when the policy is up for renewal.
The agent found a reasonably priced policy through Progressive. The agent will research all our options again when we finally have a van in production.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts