Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have two vent fans installed in the roof and various connections installed in the rear bumper cover. I also have outside lights installed on all four sides. The only comment that I got from the service manager was about wanting to build his own custom Transit van.

·
Premium Member
Waiting on a W3U, Ord 6/18/22...
188 Posts
My understanding is you (or companies that perform a service for you) are still compliant with the warranty if you follow the guidance listed in the BEMM for your model year.

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act - the dealer or Ford would have to show that a specific vehicle modification caused a specific failure related to your warranty claim in order to deny it. If you cut a hole in your roof, Ford can't say that caused an issue with your drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi!

Can cutting holes into the van for fan, ac, shore power void the warranty? Are there authorized dealers that will install and therefore protect the warranty?
It boils down to two things: the particular service department you're asking to perform a hypothetical warranty repair, and whether the damaged/failing component is in an area that your modification could have likely caused/exacerbated.

If it's just a hole, there's not a lot of of potential for the vehicle to fail unless it's some kind of outrageously large or poorly located hole. Sure, the risk still exists, especially in an accident, but that's more of an insurance concern, which is another topic entirely. Typically insurance companies don't like "permanent" modifications to vehicles, although you can still do this, it just depends on the particular agent/company/policy, etc. And that insurance coverage is only as good as the claims department's willingness to actually pay out if you do get in a wreck. They may decide at that point that you're coverage was violated by modifications, even though they were happy to take your money all along.

As for other modifications to electrical or mechanical systems, that's where the real warranty concern exists, and things get a bit murkier. To help ensure you get warranty repair work, try to build a good relationship with your local service department, and use them for all or most service visits. A random first-visit out-of-state service department may be less willing to help than a local one you visit frequently for oil changes, tire rotate, etc. Get to know the service manager names. Be thankful and appreciative, compliment them, make small talk. It really helps.

For instance, I have a lift kit, large tries, and cut/ground into the wheel well area. I had a full power steering failure at year 1.5, which in hindsight was probably connected to the wheel shake issue many other non-lifted owners had (totally gone now), and my local service department did the full rack and pinion repair under warranty. They did however stress that it was unlikely another location would have done that, and even cautioned me I should probably bring the van back with regular tires if I had another similar issue. However, after many months of building up a good relationship with them, after replacing the front passenger half shaft recently (busted CV boot), the service manager I usually work with told me he'd warranty it for two years even if I busted another CV boot while off-roading in some gnarly desert setting (I do that a lot), and even with the lift kit and large tires. I was really happy to hear that, but I doubt I'd get that same answer from some other random service department.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2022 U8U
597 Posts
@dhagberg is correct. MM makes it illegal to "void" a warranty based on aftermarket parts or other modifications. If your modification actually causes a problem, that problem is excluded from warranty coverage, but it was always excluded--nothing is "voided".

Nor does it matter whether "your modification could have likely caused/exacerbated" the problem. "Likely" isn't good enough--the OEM has to PROVE that your modification actually caused the issue. MM also allows for the collection of attorney's fees if you win a lawsuit, so there are plenty of spec lawyers who will help you enforce your rights for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts