Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my research through this forum and elsewhere, it seems that if I wire into Ford's wiring and my conversion caused an electrical issue, then it won't be covered. Definitely makes sense.

But that doesn't void the entire warranty, right? Say I wire to the alternator and there's an electrical issue that's not covered, but the transmission also goes unrelated... that is still covered, right?

Anybody here have actual experience with warranty-ing post-conversion?

Also- in anybody's research, are there things you specifically avoided doing that you may have wanted to because you wanted to maintain the warranty?

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dealers can stretch that 'Seven degrees of separation' any way they care to, it will always come down to that and your ability to negotiate/escalate

·
Super Moderator
2,828 Posts
I've not read of anyone having a warranty claim denied because of their modification, there are probably some rare cases of that.
Trucks and vans are designed with upfitting in mind. Enjoy your van as you desire!

For a warranty claim to be denied they would have to prove that what you did caused a failure.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,863 Posts
They can try to deny you warranty, but the magnuson-moss Warranty Act makes that difficult for them. I've had a dealer try to refuse a broken clutch because I had no record of oil changes at their dealership. I asked the service guy to draw me a diagram showing me how oil changes and clutches were related mechanically. They covered it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealers can stretch that 'Seven degrees of separation' any way they care to, it will always come down to that and your ability to negotiate/escalate
They can try to deny you warranty, but the magnuson-moss Warranty Act makes that difficult for them. I've had a dealer try to refuse a broken clutch because I had no record of oil changes at their dealership. I asked the service guy to draw me a diagram showing me how oil changes and clutches were related mechanically. They covered it
Yeah, I'm sure they initially try anything to say no. I'll read into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, thanks for that.

Trucks and vans are designed with upfitting in mind. Enjoy your van as you desire!
Very true, good call.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I would say wire only into the ccp customer connection points, That is what it is there for. Make no other attempts to wire into other Ford electrical systems, There are plugs you can use to do this but unless you fully understand how to do this you can mess something up. At best blown fuses, At worst a blown BCM.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you follow the BEMM, you have a strong case. I had a warranty issue (no start) and the dealer didn't want to touch it because I had wired a battery/battery charger to the CCP to charge house batteries. I explained the BEMM to the service manager and offered to walk the tech through the process. They fixed it with no further questions.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I may piggy back on this question - I just bought a Ford Transit 2018 with remaining bumper to bumper warranty, and finally successfully removed the flooring and some interior trim. I have not done any other modification.
When I tried to open the interior sliding door yesterday, there was some resistance, and then some mechanism inside the handle broke. Will I be fine to make a dealership appointment with most trim and floor missing, or even after I install custom flooring? Or would I risk getting my bumper to bumper warranty denied in this scenario, and should re-assemble everything the way it was, first?

Thank you!

·
Registered
246 Posts
My dealer expressly told me I wouldnt affect the vehicle warranty by upfitting the vehicle as long as I followed the restrictions on the BEMM. dealers all vary and you should make sure you know your stuff if they challenge you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks both of you! And BTW, if one dealer rejects me for something, can I simply go to another? Or do they put some notes into some common system that basically shows the rejection reason to all other dealerships?

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,863 Posts
Thanks both of you! And BTW, if one dealer rejects me for something, can I simply go to another? Or do they put some notes into some common system that basically shows the rejection reason to all other dealerships?
that would imply that they have some way of communicating in an organized fashion with other dealers. My experience with dealers has been that they can't communicate between the sales, service, and parts department of the same dealership. They don't talk amongst themselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts