Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever had my vans in the driveway at the same time. I think the difference in the size of them was interesting. The one on the left is a Syncro Westy, so it is a bit taller than a 2wd one. The right is a Quigley Transit that has the normal Quigley 2" lift and also has 33" tires. The noses of both vans are in the same spot. The Westy is significantly shorter in length and height fits through the 8' tall garage door. The Westy is a lot more fun to drive off road, but not nearly as comfortable and fast on road of course.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting comparison. Looks like about a 40% increase in volume. I drove the twin to your Syncro for about 7 years. Did the Subie transplant, RMW bumpers, other mods. Loved it, but finally decided I didn't want to drive a 29-year-old vehicle across the continent any more. Currently driving a Tacoma with FourWheel Camper, but have decided to go back to a van, so planning a Transit build.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I know what you mean EnviroProf. I love my Westy for recreational trips - even very long ones. I've done multiple trips from CO to Wa and BC and all over the Southwest with it. But...I had the luxury of dealing with its mechanical quirks in my spare time. When I started a job several years ago that was 180 miles away, I decided to live in a van. There is no way I would take a Westy on a weekly 360 mile round trip where I actually had to show up at a particular time. There are issues too often, even with a Subie swap. I started that long commute with a Sportsmobile E350 that I converted to 4x4. That was a blunt instrument. Decent off road and looked cool as ****, but sucked gas and was a dog on the highway. Also, it always bothered me that the interior build quality from Sportsmobile (a la 2006) was inferior to that of the 1990 VW Westy. Enter the Transit. Way more comfortable, better MPG, handles better and just as good off-road for 90% of the stuff I would do in an 7000 pound vehicle. And three bikes inside too!

Tacomas are sweet! I have, well had a 2006. Just passed 1/2 of it to my son - he has to pay for the other half. I entertained the tacoma with a 4-wheel camper for my situation, but had the need to stealth camp during the winter. Also...I should be EnviroEconProf instead of Ranchero!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts