Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Virtual Rearview Mirror and Camera on Low Roof

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  barryg8020 
#1 ·
I am wondering if I can buy the official ford parts for the virtual rearview mirror and install them myself on a low roof van.

This is not a factory option on the low roof, but I am wondering if the 3rd brake light assembly between the low and mid/high roof is physically the same size so that I can make it work.

I know there are aftermarket solutions for this but I like to keep with OEM whenever possible.

Has anyone ever tried this?

#3 ·
I looked into that and found it to be an effort in futility- that - and not to mention the image in the mirror is really way too small to be of any use / subject to glare from the mirror / etc. Not sure how your van is set up but I have LTE / WiFi so it was very easy to set up a wireless camera and a small tablet as my rear view monitor - works better than ANY OEM solution, is very clear, works at night AND its big enough to actually see unlike those tiny little rear view mirror monitors. I opted for a larger tablet but an old phone would work just as well.

My rear cam is a PoE cam connected direct into the router, the monitor is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, the mount I custom make - it holds both the monitor and a radar detector and snaps into the OEM windshield mount. Total cost was under $500 which is what the mirror assy alone costs from Ford.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

#5 ·
I looked into that and found it to be an effort in futility- that - and not to mention the image in the mirror is really way too small to be of any use / subject to glare from the mirror / etc. Not sure how your van is set up but I have LTE / WiFi so it was very easy to set up a wireless camera and a small tablet as my rear view monitor - works better than ANY OEM solution, is very clear, works at night AND its big enough to actually see unlike those tiny little rear view mirror monitors. I opted for a larger tablet but an old phone would work just as well.

My rear cam is a PoE cam connected direct into the router, the monitor is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7, the mount I custom make - it holds both the monitor and a radar detector and snaps into the OEM windshield mount. Total cost was under $500 which is what the mirror assy alone costs from Ford.

View attachment 183048
Do you have a more detailed write up? Parts used? I am curious which the LTE/Wifi you went with and how the camera is mounted? I also have a low roof unit and have been waiting for a good solution for rearview mirror.

#4 ·
I have an aftermarket one now in my NV and it works pretty good during the day, and ok at night. But the included camera is not very good in the summer, as the image gets blurry when it gets hot. Probably not the highest quality optics that move/warp slightly in high heat.

As you can see here I am so excited to get my transit that when one shows up in my mirror I have to get a picture of it :)

Mirror Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive side-view mirror

#7 ·
It is one of the 4 current 'HOLD' options that would keep your Transit from getting scheduled. Right now the 4 are.....
3.5L EcoBoost engine
ANY SYNC4 audio package
Heavy Duty Flooring
Virtual Rear View Mirror

'Late Availability' option is the Power Sliding Side Door and it as well is not being scheduled for production.

The top 4 will be getting added to scheduled Transits as the parts arrive at the assembly plant. You can look at the other forum thread to give you a idea of what body styles that Ford is pulling currently and everything is based on your order have ALL of the parts available to build it.

#9 ·
This is one feature that I really wish I had. It is beyond my skill set to rig it up, I guess. But, I would PAY someone to give me a clean and trouble free install. I have a rear view mirror since I ordered glass in the back doors. But with the bed in place I can only see out of the top 1/2 of the windows using the rear view mirror. An always-on while driving camera would be great. I'm a long way from understanding how I would get it done, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.