Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Victon Orion-Tr Smart DC/DC charger yet? I’m assuming it’s pretty new because I definitely didn’t seen it in previous dives on their web site. I had already settled on a mostly Victon system and it would be nice to have the reporting all in the same app/display. I also like the fact that you can run them in parallel but I’m pretty sure you could do that with most of the DC/DC chargers out there (correct me if I’m wrong).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning did you ever figure out how to hook up your converter I have a dc-to-dc converter and I need a ignition power source 2015 Transit help

·
Registered
659 Posts
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Victon Orion-Tr Smart DC/DC charger yet? I’m assuming it’s pretty new because I definitely didn’t seen it in previous dives on their web site. I had already settled on a mostly Victon system and it would be nice to have the reporting all in the same app/display. I also like the fact that you can run them in parallel but I’m pretty sure you could do that with most of the DC/DC chargers out there (correct me if I’m wrong).
I just saw the new Orion-TR online, and it said available for “pre-order,” but not available until Spring 2020....so 1st-hand experience might be hard to come by at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I heard of a dealer that switched over from Sterling to Orion 121230 and runs them in parallel.
He said the Orion is way better and much easier to set up.
After listening to him talk about the difference I would definitely go with Orion.
The guy really liked it , I mean really really liked it , thumbs up.

Can you parallel 2 of them if you only have the 150 amp alternator???
Anybody know ???
I'm thinking it would be a little too much.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You HEARD of a dealer??? Who? WHAT were the advantages? Tell us more.

I respect Victron, plus some others, but this info is kind of a “tease.”

I have an older CTEK DS250s. While I have no experience with alternatives (other than a solar-only Morningstar...which I still use), it seems to me (emphasis on “seems”) the more interesting offerings today are from Kisae and Renogy...and possibly even CTEK (a non-US version that includes Lithium). I don’t know, maybe even Redarc, and if Sterling now has a Solar/Alternator DC-DC maybe them too. I think Victron “dropped the ball” not offering a combo unit (Solar/Alternator), or do they? Or maybe I don’t know how they “integrate” this unit with their solar. I guess they can parallel??? But integrated sounds better.

At least for people who do some boondocking, I think this is what is needed:

1) both solar & alternator DC-DC capability, integrated
2) Lithium support. Better yet, user-customizable SMART charge profiles which include Lithium (but, are all Lithium batteries the same?)
3) ability to charge starter battery from solar after house battery charged (this MAY be a CTEK exclusive...please correct me if wrong),
4) delayed start, which allows starter battery to get the initial charge from the alternator before diverting current to the house battery (CTEK does this, but maybe could favor the start battery a bit more)
5) higher output than the original base CTEK...higher voltage limit too...as bigger panels come to market
6) reliable / durable, yet affordable
7) voltage - charge/load amperage display
8) low voltage disconnect
7) what have I left out?

Sooo, is this Victron the new godsend cure-all, or is it only for people who already have invested heavily in an all-Victron system?

Are there shortcomings to the Kisae? Price? Quality?

·
Registered
397 Posts
3) ability to charge starter battery from solar after house battery charged (this MAY be a CTEK exclusive...please correct me if wrong),
My Renogy DCC50S does this as well as the delay upon startup (not needed with the transit load shedding in the charging system).

·
Registered
1 Posts
You HEARD of a dealer??? Who? WHAT were the advantages? Tell us more.

I respect Victron, plus some others, but this info is kind of a “tease.”

I have an older CTEK DS250s. While I have no experience with alternatives (other than a solar-only Morningstar...which I still use), it seems to me (emphasis on “seems”) the more interesting offerings today are from Kisae and Renogy...and possibly even CTEK (a non-US version that includes Lithium). I don’t know, maybe even Redarc, and if Sterling now has a Solar/Alternator DC-DC maybe them too. I think Victron “dropped the ball” not offering a combo unit (Solar/Alternator), or do they? Or maybe I don’t know how they “integrate” this unit with their solar. I guess they can parallel??? But integrated sounds better.

At least for people who do some boondocking, I think this is what is needed:

1) both solar & alternator DC-DC capability, integrated
2) Lithium support. Better yet, user-customizable SMART charge profiles which include Lithium (but, are all Lithium batteries the same?)
4) delayed start, which allows starter battery to get the initial charge from the alternator before diverting current to the house battery (CTEK does this, but maybe could favor the start battery a bit more)
5) higher output than the original base CTEK...higher voltage limit too...as bigger panels come to market
6) reliable / durable, yet affordable
7) voltage - charge/load amperage display
8) low voltage disconnect
7) what have I left out?

Sooo, is this Victron the new godsend cure-all, or is it only for people who already have invested heavily in an all-Victron system?

Are there shortcomings to the Kisae? Price? Quality?
Redarc bd series is close to your list but not perfect. I have the 1240 and no complaints. Check them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Renogy DCC50S does this as well as the delay upon startup (not needed with the transit load shedding in the charging system).
Did you hook up the ignition signal wire on your DCC50S? I'm having trouble finding info on whether the Transit has a "smart" alternator

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did end up purchasing a Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 and I have been happy with it so far. Set up was a breeze through the Victron Connect app and I get about 35 amps of charge out of it on bulk charge. So far the auto start and stop detection has worked as expected but I have also wired in a switch so that I don't try and charge a full LiFePO4 every time I drive but its nice to know if I leave it on (its just continuity) the charger will protect my starter battery (this could also be done by connecting it to the ignition hot under the seat).

I had already installed the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and am planning on a Victron MultiPlus inverter so for me the Orion-Tr Smart was an obvious choice so that it is part of the native controls ecosystem. That said other than the app controls the Orion-Tr smart does not currently support the VE.Smart Networking to share its data with other devices like the BMV-712 to provide better charge controlling but it is set up to be upgradable to that via firmware update in the future.

·
Registered
2019 MR RWB T150
26 Posts
I just got an email from Bay Marine in San Diego and they got their shipment of the 12/12 30 today. I got mine....(y)(y)

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
4 Posts
I ordered (and recieved) a 30Amp version from PKYS about 3 weeks ago. Works great! I did get the non-Smart version without bluetooth though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered (and recieved) a 30Amp version from PKYS about 3 weeks ago. Works great! I did get the non-Smart version without bluetooth though.
Without Bluetooth how do you adjust the charger parameters? I wasn’t even aware that they had a non-Bluetooth version available.

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
4 Posts
The non-bluetooth version doesn't have much for settings. There's only an adjustment screw to set the charge voltage to match the float voltage of your battery bank. It's a fair bit cheaper than the Smart version with bluetooth. I decided the extra features weren't worth the cost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The non-bluetooth version doesn't have much for settings. There's only an adjustment screw to set the charge voltage to match the float voltage of your battery bank. It's a fair bit cheaper than the Smart version with bluetooth. I decided the extra features weren't worth the cost.
Just to clarify and not confuse future readers, are you talking about the DC-DC converter? There is actually a lot of difference between the converter and the charger, no staged charging and no smart alternator sensing being the biggest two. If you have LiFePO4 the staged charging isn’t as important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does the TR DC - DC require an ignition hot?
Seems you could just leave this turned on like a solar charge controller.
Not in the mood to find and run an ignition feed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts