Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
The guibo is probably REDUCING a lot of vibration, as is it's purpose in life. It makes up for some imbalance in the driveshaft. With the U-Joint, they have to balance and fine tune everything to avoid vibration.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
A little research may have been in order, This has been a complaint since the first model year Transit.
This was my first brand new vehicle purchase, I said I can learn to live with it. The Transit was better then anything else out there at that time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ford should have mandated transmission fluid change intervals at 50,000 miles for anyone doing regular towing. Their "lifetime" fluid claim is crap. There are enough failed/failing torque converters scattered across the U.S. to prove it. My torque converter is failing at almost 100,000 miles. To be fair, we towed a 4,000lb travel trailer around the southwest for 2+ years. We pulled that same trailer from Vegas to Virginia during our move. I recently towed 4,000lbs of trailer and tractor from Pennsylvania to Virginia. Had I not bought into Ford's lifetime fluid BS, I would have had my fluid changed at least once a year when I was heavy towing. It's cheap insurance at $250--what the dealer charges for a fluid exchange. I'm adding a transmission cooler when I get my torque converter replaced either this fall or next year. After a transmission fluid exchange, the torque converter "shudder" is dramatically (75%) better but I know the TC will fail eventually if left alone.

Hindsight being what it is, I should have done my due diligence. I assumed the "shudder" was just the driveline (guibo) or old tires until I put on Michelins and the shudder was the same, almost ever-present.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2015 that I spent over $2000 having the reared rebuilt. I did the driveshaft recall twice. It vibrates at about 40mph and if I take it out of gear and coast in neutral it still vibrates. Its around the 40mph that it starts. The van just turned 70k. I am beside myself with it

·
Registered
234 Posts
So I have a 2015 that I spent over $2000 having the reared rebuilt. I did the driveshaft recall twice. It vibrates at about 40mph and if I take it out of gear and coast in neutral it still vibrates. Its around the 40mph that it starts. The van just turned 70k. I am beside myself with it
Did they test if the shaft was balanced? What else did they troubleshoot?

·
Registered
178 Posts
A follow up to my previous responses: I told the dealer that I did not want to purchase a rebuilt transmission or a new torque converter. I did ask them to perform a transmission fluid exchange, which they balked at. They tried to talk me out of it, told me it might help a little but wouldn’t cure anything.

When I first picked up our van it was maybe 50% better but still had symptoms of a failing torque converter. I was patient and with each drive the vibration got better. More than 500 miles later and all symptoms of the torque vibration are gone — I mean 100%, driving like when it was new. I’m sure at some point I may need to replace the torque converter. If I do, I’ll report back here.

If you have the torque converter shudder, get a fluid exchange done, either by a Ford dealer or a transmission shop. You might end up saving a few thousand dollars.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts