Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've posted this at another thread under "RECALL" but didn't get the attention and responses I was expecting. So I decided to ask here again.

My Transit was purchased used at 54,000 miles and since the purchase I am having this weird vibrations.
I don't know how to describe other than as following in a written form but let me try;

While under power (foot on the gas) driving 60-75 mph range and sometimes slower vehicle goes for 100 yards or so, like it was floating on clouds. Smooth as it should be and then next 100 yards or so it feels like passing over cobblestone road (or just imagine as if the road has some sort of horizontal texture) then same routine goes on perfectly equal intervals if my speed is steady.

Imagine driving steady at 70mph on a straight away freeway, this vibration thing goes for 100 yards on, 100 yards off, 100 yards on, 100 yards off and so on...

Then road becomes a little downhill slope and I pull my foot of the gas pedal and darn van goes down the hill next 2-3 miles smooth as butter again. Downhill slope ends hit the gas and again 100 yds on, 100 yds off.

It gets really bad between 1750 and 2000 rpm.

During recall I was told that the faulty coupling or whatever the heck it is called may cause some vibrations. I thought replacing it will solve this problem.

Not a chance, after the recall service problem still remains. No worse or not better. Just same as it was before.

I am not a car guy or have any mechanical aptitude!!! What the heck this could be??? Any ideas, similar experience? Solutions?

I've felt a little steering shake too and I'll take it to tire balance etc. too, But I don't think it is the core issue causing the vibration problem. Because if it was tire balance issue, then no matter uphill or downhill or straight away I should be feeling the same vibration. Feeling the vibration only under accelerated (under load) conditions telling me it is something other than the simple tire balance issue.

Am I right to think that?

Please help, it is getting really annoying!!!

Reactions: TransNat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds precisely like what was happening with my transit. I had the dealership look at it and it ended up being the torque converter which failed and caused problems with the transmission. I was at 59,700 miles and Ford foot the bill for a new transmission. I have the tech notes if you are interested, just PM me.

2015 T-350 XLT 12 Passenger, 3.7 Liter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also had this issue on my 2015 Transit Wagon. I bought it used at 96,000 miles and pretty much a day after swapping cash I started to notice the rumbling.

At first I thought it was the flex disc issue, but that part had recently been changed. After reading these posts and many others I figured I probably have the torque converter issue because my RPM indicator was fluctuating when the vibrations were occuring and it was happening mostly on uphills and only at certain gears.

I called a bunch of transmission shops and was just trying to get the best deal on a replacement. One fellow recommended I do a transmission fluid change however, just for the heck of it because he said Fords are notorious for that problem and sometimes that helps. I figured I don't have much to lose so I took it to a quick-lube type of place (I know you're not supposed to do that but I was in whatever mode) they did a tranny fluid change and said the old fluid was very dark (I didn't actually see it though so can't say if it had any metal shards in it). Anyways, after the "flush", miraculously there was no more vibration and also no slipping in the transmission ( I thought for sure if the fluid was that dark I would have at least slipping in the gears). I waited to post this until some time passed and now I am at 5,000 miles later and it's still running smooth. Maybe it was just dumb luck but a $100 tranny fluid exchange vs a x thousand dollar torque converter seems possibly worth trying.

Also as a side note, at one point I took the van into a dealer because I was not sure the last owner replaced the flex disc. They looked it up in their database and indeed it had been replaced recently. They kindly offered to do an inspection of my transmission for $300 to locate the source of the vibration using "specialized acoustic techniques" 😂 I swear that's what they said. Anyway, I obviously refused but I am SURE that they would have told me I need a major repair on my transmission...I think the lesson is obvious.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I've posted this at another thread under "RECALL" but didn't get the attention and responses I was expecting. So I decided to ask here again.

My Transit was purchased used at 54,000 miles and since the purchase I am having this weird vibrations.
I don't know how to describe other than as following in a written form but let me try;

Capt Jim,

Why would you start another Thread on the same topic ? Most likely you didn't get the responses you expected because other members didn't know. Since all the posts appear on the same page, possibly just updating (refreshing ) your original post would have done the same.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1 Posts

While under power (foot on the gas) driving 60-75 mph range and sometimes slower vehicle goes for 100 yards or so, like it was floating on clouds. Smooth as it should be and then next 100 yards or so it feels like passing over cobblestone road (or just imagine as if the road has some sort of horizontal texture) then same routine goes on perfectly equal intervals if my speed is steady.

Imagine driving steady at 70mph on a straight away freeway, this vibration thing goes for 100 yards on, 100 yards off, 100 yards on, 100 yards off and so on...

Then road becomes a little downhill slope and I pull my foot of the gas pedal and darn van goes down the hill next 2-3 miles smooth as butter again. Downhill slope ends hit the gas and again 100 yds on, 100 yds off.

During recall I was told that the faulty coupling or whatever the heck it is called may cause some vibrations. I thought replacing it will solve this problem.

Not a chance, after the recall service problem still remains. No worse or not better. Just same as it was before.

I am not a car guy or have any mechanical aptitude!!! What the heck this could be??? Any ideas, similar experience? Solutions?

I've felt a little steering shake too and I'll take it to tire balance etc. too, But I don't think it is the core issue causing the vibration problem. Because if it was tire balance issue, then no matter uphill or downhill or straight away I should be feeling the same vibration. Feeling the vibration only under accelerated (under load) conditions telling me it is something other than the simple tire balance issue.

Did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the exact same issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have a 2015 cargo 150 and have the quibo coupler replaced at 40.000. Miles and now at 80.000. Replaced with a u joint permanent fix. I got that long expected part replaced by the dealer but now, it started to vibrate between 1.500 to 1.800 rpms.
I’m not sure if the dealer will balance my existing shaft or just sell me a new one.
I had no problems or vibration before with the quibo connector, just the recall paper to worry about . Now I’m worried for a lot

·
Registered
2019 MR RWB T150
140 Posts
I have a 2015 cargo 150 and have the quibo coupler replaced at 40.000. Miles and now at 80.000. Replaced with a u joint permanent fix. I got that long expected part replaced by the dealer but now, it started to vibrate between 1.500 to 1.800 rpms.
I’m not sure if the dealer will balance my existing shaft or just sell me a new one.
I had no problems or vibration before with the quibo connector, just the recall paper to worry about . Now I’m worried for a lot
Just for me I'd ignore the dealer and take it to a shop that specializes in drive lines. Those folks are usually way more experienced in that type of thing than a dealer and would be much more help. They can check to make sure your drive shaft is balanced. Fixing it would not be expensive. An off balance shaft would result in the symptoms you're experiencing. Not clear from your post if you just got the u joint but if so it could have introduced a balance problem to the shaft that the dealer didn't bother to check for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just for me I'd ignore the dealer and take it to a shop that specializes in drive lines. Those folks are usually way more experienced in that type of thing than a dealer and would be much more help. They can check to make sure your drive shaft is balanced. Fixing it would not be expensive. An off balance shaft would result in the symptoms you're experiencing. Not clear from your post if you just got the u joint but if so it could have introduced a balance problem to the shaft that the dealer didn't bother to check for.
Hello and a late thank you,
I’m the lucky owner of a 2015 cargo van made in 2015 purchased new in 2016.
At my second appointment at 80.000 miles I had to replace the first quibo they put in at 40.000 miles, but my luck I asked about the permanent fix the ujoint and they installed that in replacing a section of the drive shaft,
I never had any vibration or issues with the quibo until they installed the permanent fix,
The van vibrates like I’m about to take of in a helicopter, I took it back in and after 3 day’s they said it’s fixed ready to go,
It’s actually worse as vibration, they told me they removed a spacer out that was the problem.
I called again this morning and they said that the recall part was replaced, there’s nothing else to fix and I’m looking for free repairs.
“ A bit of vibration it’s not going to damage anything, you’ll get used to it, it’s an old work van anyhow “ you should get a new one.
My last ever Ford product !
I already got an appointment to a transmission shop where they could balance my drive shaft on my expense of course.
Drive safe everyone, don’t get crazy with a bit of vibration,

·
Registered
2019 MR RWB T150
140 Posts
I called again this morning and they said that the recall part was replaced, there’s nothing else to fix and I’m looking for free repairs.
“ A bit of vibration it’s not going to damage anything, you’ll get used to it, it’s an old work van anyhow “ you should get a new one.
That's pretty outrageous. If it was me I'd be checking in with my local "consumer protection" people. Behavior like this should not go unpunished 🤬🤬🤬!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello and a late thank you,
I’m the lucky owner of a 2015 cargo van made in 2015 purchased new in 2016.
At my second appointment at 80.000 miles I had to replace the first quibo they put in at 40.000 miles, but my luck I asked about the permanent fix the ujoint and they installed that in replacing a section of the drive shaft,
I never had any vibration or issues with the quibo until they installed the permanent fix,
The van vibrates like I’m about to take of in a helicopter, I took it back in and after 3 day’s they said it’s fixed ready to go,
It’s actually worse as vibration, they told me they removed a spacer out that was the problem.
My last ever Ford product !
I already got an appointment to a transmission shop where they could balance my drive shaft on my expense of course.
Drive safe everyone, don’t get crazy with a bit of vibration,

Precisely what is happening with my 2015 250. Had the coupling (recall) replaced at 21k and got the letter that the permanent fix parts were in. Never a vibration with either coupling. Here I am at 41k, it is my work van mind you, and they took it in and replaced the driveshaft and installed the U joint. The result? It vibrates like a pad sander starting just under 50 and gets more pronounced as speed increases, it even was consistent off the gas in neutral at speed. Back it went.....for a week......they consulted Ford and installed dampers. The van still vibrates, a little less pronounced but at the same speed. Back to the dealer it goes, 5 days ago.
They had me start a claim with Ford via an 800 number, not a pleasant experience- I have yet to talk to the same advisor twice. Furthermore they mentioned they are setting up some sort of a conference call for next Tuesday. I keep imploring that my livelihood is on those four wheels but no one seems to care, I’m getting a bit less patient.......I’m driving a loaner vehicle stuffed with tools. 😡

·
Registered
27 Posts
Precisely what is happening with my 2015 250. Had the coupling (recall) replaced at 21k and got the letter that the permanent fix parts were in. Never a vibration with either coupling. Here I am at 41k, it is my work van mind you, and they took it in and replaced the driveshaft and installed the U joint. The result? It vibrates like a pad sander starting just under 50 and gets more pronounced as speed increases, it even was consistent off the gas in neutral at speed. Back it went.....for a week......they consulted Ford and installed dampers. The van still vibrates, a little less pronounced but at the same speed. Back to the dealer it goes, 5 days ago.
They had me start a claim with Ford via an 800 number, not a pleasant experience- I have yet to talk to the same advisor twice. Furthermore they mentioned they are setting up some sort of a conference call for next Tuesday. I keep imploring that my livelihood is on those four wheels but no one seems to care, I’m getting a bit less patient.......I’m driving a loaner vehicle stuffed with tools. 😡

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep it was the torque converter!
Changed under warranty a while ago. I thought I posted here but I guess I didn't. Getting old sucks! I am keep forgetting things... Aaaanyways, since it has been changed the Van is one smooth sailing pleasure to ride. Too bad I have to sell it. Due to wife's constant nagging(!) (I hope she's not looking) regarding the toilet issues when we camp I had to spend a lot of $$$$$$$ to purchase a small 2021 motorhome.
So, currently she is soooo happy and I am soooo broke which is the reason I am selling my lovely Van.
:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds precisely like what was happening with my transit. I had the dealership look at it and it ended up being the torque converter which failed and caused problems with the transmission. I was at 59,700 miles and Ford foot the bill for a new transmission. I have the tech notes if you are interested, just PM me.

HELLO MURPH
I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY VAN... I'LL APPRECIATE IF YOU SHARE ME THOSE NOTES TO TRY TO MAKE A DIAGNOSTIC.

·
Registered
2 Posts

HELLO MURPH
I THINK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY VAN... I'LL APPRECIATE IF YOU SHARE ME THOSE NOTES TO TRY TO MAKE A DIAGNOSTIC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 and having the vibration like several people have posted. I had the rear u joints replaced and no change. I assumed it was the shaft balance because the driveline shop said they couldn’t balance just the rear shaft but had to have the front as well. After reading so posts here I think it could be the torque converter. Is it better to use a trans shop for this repair or use the dealer. Plus I want to have the shaft balanced as a complete unit as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 and having the vibration like several people have posted. I had the rear u joints replaced and no change. I assumed it was the shaft balance because the driveline shop said they couldn’t balance just the rear shaft but had to have the front as well. After reading so posts here I think it could be the torque converter. Is it better to use a trans shop for this repair or use the dealer. Plus I want to have the shaft balanced as a complete unit as well.
This all started after the new front shaft was replaced with the ujoint type

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also had this issue on my 2015 Transit Wagon. I bought it used at 96,000 miles and pretty much a day after swapping cash I started to notice the rumbling.

At first I thought it was the flex disc issue, but that part had recently been changed. After reading these posts and many others I figured I probably have the torque converter issue because my RPM indicator was fluctuating when the vibrations were occuring and it was happening mostly on uphills and only at certain gears.

I called a bunch of transmission shops and was just trying to get the best deal on a replacement. One fellow recommended I do a transmission fluid change however, just for the heck of it because he said Fords are notorious for that problem and sometimes that helps. I figured I don't have much to lose so I took it to a quick-lube type of place (I know you're not supposed to do that but I was in whatever mode) they did a tranny fluid change and said the old fluid was very dark (I didn't actually see it though so can't say if it had any metal shards in it). Anyways, after the "flush", miraculously there was no more vibration and also no slipping in the transmission ( I thought for sure if the fluid was that dark I would have at least slipping in the gears). I waited to post this until some time passed and now I am at 5,000 miles later and it's still running smooth. Maybe it was just dumb luck but a $100 tranny fluid exchange vs a x thousand dollar torque converter seems possibly worth trying.

Also as a side note, at one point I took the van into a dealer because I was not sure the last owner replaced the flex disc. They looked it up in their database and indeed it had been replaced recently. They kindly offered to do an inspection of my transmission for $300 to locate the source of the vibration using "specialized acoustic techniques" 😂 I swear that's what they said. Anyway, I obviously refused but I am SURE that they would have told me I need a major repair on my transmission...I think the lesson is obvious.
Are our transmissions sealed? Was the quick lube place able to do a fluid change without dropping the pan?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2016 transit and I have the same problem. It’s aggravating. It’s one reason why I am not sure I will be buying another transit for my next vehicle. This is what I think the problem is: Their crappy drive shaft coupling design. Sure you get a new one every 30,000 miles. But it’s still the shitty driveshaft coupling that they designed in the first place. I think there is a fatal flaw in the design and in order to fix it they would have to revamp the whole chassis/engine/transmission. So the only thing they can do is put a Band-Aid on it. This is the first Ford I have ever liked, but now that I’m aware of this issue it just makes me roll my eyes. I won’t be getting another transit until this problem is fixed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts