Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd take a gamble on the *only* available real service manual I'm aware of for this vehicle. I was excited to receive it, make an image of the CD for use on my laptop with no CD-ROM (don't get ahead of me!), and have at-my-fingertips access to troubleshooting flows, component locations, wiring diagrams, and more.

What did I get? Well, the CD is copy protected for starters. Alcohol 120% (a CD/DVD copying/imaging application) analysis showed that it uses SecuROM 7 "or newer". It claims to be able to circumvent this, but I have been unable to create an image FOR MY OWN GODDDAMN USE because of this crippling and limiting DRM (Digital Rights Management). I was considering purchasing an external optical drive (an additional CAD$50 or so, plus another electronic widget taking up valuable space in my laptop bag. Not desirable in the least bit.

AND THEN... I hadn't actually installed it from the CD yet because I was using someone else's computer with an optical drive in my two evenings worth of attempts to make a disc image. I finally did install it to see what I was missing. I was rewarded with software that looks like it stepped right out of 1995 - er, ok maybe 1998. That's fine, I can live with that if it has the information I want/need. After a few glitches in loading this or that, plus figuring out the idiotic panes and unlabeled arrows/buttons I was able to browse through some troubleshooting flows and follow links from them to other flows... ok, looking good... but when I selected the Wiring Diagrams section I got nothing more than A F***ING BLANK SCREEN. I tried scrolling around using the archaic navigation arrows around the perimeter and received the error shown in the screen shot attached.

Am I impressed? Duh. I'm now wondering if anyone else has gone through anything similar. I'm the sort of person most other people turn to when they have computer problems. When I have computer problems, it's rarely ME. This is on Windows 10, plus I tried using various compatibility settings to no avail.

I'm considering cutting my losses by returning and taking the 25% restocking fee up the .... [ http://www.helminc.com/helm/about_returns.asp?Style=helm ] After, of course, complaining VERY loudly and perhaps even pointing them to this post. I'll bet they won't even cover the return postage.

My original gamble was USD$186. The outlook is bleak.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Add insult to injury: I checked my credit card, and I was billed CAD$286.47 for this transaction. That converts to USD$217.68 as of right now, which means I was charged about USD$30 for them to ship a CD in an envelope.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
There are all kinds of program for opening "locked" software. The internet is a wonderful place.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are all kinds of program for opening "locked" software. The internet is a wonderful place.
...And the winner of most helpful comment goes to... someone else

I am better at this sort of thing than most. I have searched. I have already wasted hours researching this. I may waste more yet, justifying the wasted time "on principle". If I do succeed, I can't recoup anything because to do so would be illegal.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old news, all of this has been discussed before on the forum.
^^^ Runner up for "most helpful comment"

Come on, up your game a little. Show me how intelligent I know you are.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Rules are meant to be followed!

I wonder if it will work on a machine with actual Windows 7se? Emulators aren't always that emulatable.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Copy the alphabetical index to a word or or other searchable file. There is no search function in the manual. Just another hidden gem. I could go on, but as rancidrox pointed out, there are 1,000 posts on this.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Search is your friend

They used very old software to write the manual.
Sumatra PDF viewer
SVG Viewer

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB01626

Life could be worse. You could have bought the FORD CD and left it in your old computer that was recycled (Hard Drives were removed and destroyed to protect personal data, computer donated. Doh!)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Search is your friend

They used very old software to write the manual.
Sumatra PDF viewer
SVG Viewer

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB01626

Life could be worse. You could have bought the FORD CD and left it in your old computer that was recycled (Hard Drives were removed and destroyed to protect personal data, computer donated. Doh!)

"Search is your friend" is what you tell people who are lazy and clueless. This is hardly the case.

You say that they used "old software" to write the manual, but then you reference two pieces of software that are VIEWERS. Viewers are not used to write anything, they're used to VIEW it.

You also reference a link, but don't give any indication how this link relates to the Helm Inc Service CD.

Still looking for more, people. I understand this is a recurring theme but I wouldn't be asking if I was satisfied with the existing material.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I got a copy of the 2015 Ford service manual on DVD. Same thing as Helm, I think. I succeeded in making a working copy on Windows, running off the hard drive. Who knows if their DVD setup has been changed since 2015. I'll quote myself, below. Original reply is here: https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-service/19074-service-manual-2.html#post733905

Once again, this site's search absolutely blows. I knew I had made the post, but, had to use Google site search to find it.

Me:

You are right! Ancient support modules, AND you have to set your PC's date back to before whatever year the disc was produced. AND, you typically have to have the disc in the drive in order to access the info.

Well, I did overcome that last item, installing on my older Win7 laptop: prior to install, I manually changed the drive letter of my DVD drive to Z. Did the install, and verified it worked. Renamed the DVD drive back original default letter. Copied all DVD content over to a folder on the hard disk. Mapped that folder as drive Z. And... it works! Much faster at data access! But, drive needs to be mapped after each reboot. I wrote a 1-line batch file to auto-run at startup, to take care of that.

AND, related to the ancient support modules, I could never get the wiring diagrams to display, even though they are a listed item on the disc. I think it's due to a missing module.

AND, as Alarmist (the first one on here to have the service DVD) has noted -- the disc is pretty light on a whole lot of information you might like to have... for the 2015 model year, at least.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, thanks for that. My brief look at it was encouraging. I was planning to do more thorough diving in and archiving. 2017 isn't perfect for me but will likely be the same in most areas.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Also , I was told you can go to your local library and get a library card then get on there computer and go to the Library home page and search there E collection (search there database)for Mitchell Pro Demand , I was told this normally is very expensive but you can use it for free at the Library.
You must log in to the Mitchell web site at the Library and type in a pin code that the Library gives you.
Mind blowing info and you could take pictures of the screen if needed , I don't know if you can down load to a thumb drive or email your self info pictures , if not you can always take pictures with your phone

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have access to the Ford manual online and here is what it says about viewing issues with wiring diagrams:

If you are having trouble viewing Wiring Diagrams
Please try re-installing your SVG Viewer

Click Here to install
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/downloads/svgview.exe

Instructions:
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/help/IE9_Wiring_Concern.pdf

Problem: After installing IE9, user opens a Wiring
Diagram and no diagram is displayed. The status
displays "Loading…"
Solution: User must delete Adobe SVG View 3.0 and reinstall. The following
steps show how to delete Adobe SVG Viewer and reinstall.
In order to view Wiring Diagrams with IE9 follow these steps:
(1) After IE9 is installed click on the Start button in the lower left hand corner
of the screen and then go to Control Panel -->
(2) Next choose "Programs and Features" -->
(3) Select Adobe SVG View 3.0.
(4) Select Uninstall/Change --> Yes
(5) Close current Wiring Window.
(6) On the next visit to the Wiring page the user will be prompted to install the
SVG Viewer. Install the Adobe SVG Viewer.
Item to Note here: You will be installing the Win 98/XP version even though
your operating system is Vista/Win7. Choose "Click Here" to install:
(7)On the Adobe page – scroll to the bottom and choose English Win 98-XP
(8) When the Pop-Up window appears – Choose "Run"
English
Win 98-XP
(9) Once the Adobe SVG Viewer has been re-installed, the Wiring Diagrams
should display properly.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have access to the Ford manual online and here is what it says about viewing issues with wiring diagrams:

If you are having trouble viewing Wiring Diagrams
Please try re-installing your SVG Viewer

Click Here to install
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/downloads/svgview.exe

Instructions:
http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/help/IE9_Wiring_Concern.pdf

Problem: After installing IE9, user opens a Wiring
Diagram and no diagram is displayed. The status
displays "Loading…"
Solution: User must delete Adobe SVG View 3.0 and reinstall. The following
steps show how to delete Adobe SVG Viewer and reinstall.
In order to view Wiring Diagrams with IE9 follow these steps:
(1) After IE9 is installed click on the Start button in the lower left hand corner
of the screen and then go to Control Panel -->
(2) Next choose "Programs and Features" -->
(3) Select Adobe SVG View 3.0.
(4) Select Uninstall/Change --> Yes
(5) Close current Wiring Window.
(6) On the next visit to the Wiring page the user will be prompted to install the
SVG Viewer. Install the Adobe SVG Viewer.
Item to Note here: You will be installing the Win 98/XP version even though
your operating system is Vista/Win7. Choose "Click Here" to install:
(7)On the Adobe page – scroll to the bottom and choose English Win 98-XP
(8) When the Pop-Up window appears – Choose "Run"
English
Win 98-XP
(9) Once the Adobe SVG Viewer has been re-installed, the Wiring Diagrams
should display properly.
Good info, there. Glad it's not just me. I maybe-probably can not pull this off, since my Win 7 install is an offline computer, only... and, I don't think any Adobe stuff can actually be downloaded for separate install, these days.

EDIT -- Check that. I see that's a Ford link to the .exe file. That should be do-able.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks promising. I'm working with Win10, but the back end isn't changed a lot from Win7 so I suspect it would still work. I may spend a few hours more trying to recoup some of my losses.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 43 Posts