Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a ford transit van with a shady past. It was used as a contractor's vehicle for fedex and the story is that it didn't work out for him and he had to surrender the vehicle to the bank.

It has relatively low mileage for the vehicle of it's age and usage for what seems like a great price. Is there a way to guarantee the mileage on the vehicle is the actual mileage advertised? e.g. verifying with the computer on the vehicle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would get the van inspected by a good local independent mechanic. Tell the mechanic your concerns and tell the mechanic to look for any potential deal breakers. Good independent mechanics are about $120/hr shop labor rate and they will find any major issues to stop the sale within one hour. They will also absolutely know if the mileage doesn't make sense just by looking at the mechanicals. Well worth the $120 cost.

If the seller is uncomfortable with you or both of you taking the van to an independent mechanic, then that is a big red flag to not buy the van without spending a dime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to bring it to a mechanic but I don't know which one to bring it to. How do you go about finding a trust worthy, experienced mechanic?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am going to bring it to a mechanic but I don't know which one to bring it to. How do you go about finding a trust worthy, experienced mechanic?

Technically, you can't bring it to the mechanic. You can take it to the mechanic or he can ask you to bring it in. Unfortunately, most people don't know the difference between take and bring or then and than. The wife says, "let it go, Phil, the English language is changing. Some day the word take won't be used any more." I said, "I know, but I just can't bring it any longer!":eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts