Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I have the right forum for this query...regarding the vent hose(s) required for using a portable air conditioner.

I have purchased a set of window vents from Eurocampers, and would post a link except my post count is not high enough yet. So, sorry about that, but...
has anyone considered using this window vent and attaching the AC hoses to it somehow? It would seem to allow the portable unit to be set up behind the driver's seat, most of the units come with 4' to 5' of hose length, only question seems to be how difficult it would be to attach the vent hoses to the metal window panel insert.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
go to a hardware store and look at a dryer vent (washer and dryer) to see how they are made and maybe it will give you some ideas, or buy a dryer vent, they are cheap, and adapt it to suit your needs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You need a dual hose portable a/c. Single hose a/c sucks cold air out of the van to cool the hot condenser coil and outside air gets sucked into the van, you will be disappointed with the results.

·
Registered
760 Posts
This will be my interim fix until I make other decisions (about whether van living is for me or not etc).

I am planning upon purchasing a portable (rolling) ac/heat pump unit and vent it out the side flip window.

Even at 14' x 6' x 6.5' empty, the smallest portable unit will more than do double what I will need. (If running the front heat for 10 minutes lasted 3 hours in 30 degree temps, I think the portable unit will do fine.)

I almost just decided to sit a window ac on the kitchen "counter" and vent it the same way... said unit I already have in my hurricane supplies... but nah... gotta have heat too anyway.

I know it's important not to bend it too severely, and not to kink the vent hose, but I doubt making it oblong rather than round will matter as long as the surface area is the same?:nerd:

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have used a single (4") hose portable in an RV. Worked like a charm. I plan on installing that very unit in my Transit. If it dies another one will fit in the same space..... and I am going through the floor. (Saving the piece, can always weld it back in.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know it's important not to bend it too severely, and not to kink the vent hose, but I doubt making it oblong rather than round will matter as long as the surface area is the same?:nerd:
You say "it", as Phil said it's very important to get a TWO hose unit if you want it to really work well.

I have a single-hose unit (bought many years ago but still working well) that is unfortunately almost useless. Nowadays I just use it in the garage where it can blow directly on me while I work on hot summer days. Last summer I tried it in the van just for kicks - I knew it wouldn't work well, but hey...

The temp in the van actually *rose* because it was drawing so much outside air in to replace the air it used to cool itself! The only "cool" spot was directly in the flow of cold air in front of the unit. Stand either side and it was a sauna thanks to the warm humid air being drawn in every crack and crevice!

As for oblong hoses, I'm not sure how wide of a gap the flip-opens have - I thought from others' comments they didn't open very far. Yes, as long as the open area is roughly the same you should be fine but these things (at least all the ones I've been around) move a tremendous amount of air through the hoses. If you restrict the flow much it won't perform very well and may trip on high/low pressure limits (summer/winter).

It would also be best to be able to direct the exhaust air away from the intake port, don't want to be drawing the hot (or cold in winter) exhaust air right back into the unit!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just a portable inside rolling unit with a single exhaust hose. I don't have to be cold, but the humidity has to be low to be comfortable... cool is nice though. AC/heat pump

Something like this.

The flip open window gives nearly a 2" opening, maybe IDK haven't measured (I will now...) 18"? I think a good plastic rain shield would be in order too....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Do you know what the size of the unit is? (BTUs) I thought about that afterward, a smaller unit might actually work better in this specific setup because it wouldn't move as much air through the hose. Mine is a 9000 BTU unit, which would normally be enough to refrigerate a small bedroom but for the fact it uses the room air to cool itself... (I have a 9000 BTU mini-split in the back bedroom/office that can bring that room down to arctic conditions on the hottest summer day. The portable AC unit couldn't get just the walk-in closet of that room that cool!)

You may check around for other units, most brands you can get a two-hose version as well now.

From my experience with my single-hose unit in my van, I'd say you might be able to get by with a single-hose but you'll have to sit right in front of the air vent letting it blow on you. You'll be sucking the warm and humid air from outside into the van to make up whatever it blows out the hose to cool itself, so getting the overall humidity in the van down isn't likely to happen.

But - of course - YMMV. Oscarvan says a single-hose works just fine in his van. It may be down to the amount of air they move across the condenser coil and blow outside. Mine may just use a LOT more air than others do...

·
Registered
760 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36932197?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227025044388&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40876196312&wl4=pla-78767217512&wl5=1015117&wl6=&wl7=1015116&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=36932197&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

You won't be sucking the hot outside air in---it isn't a window unit. It's a room unit, if it's the same idea I'm going for. It sucks the room air in and spits out cooler, less humid air and vents the other out the window. A good one has a decent sized water pan or catch that doesn't need emptying often, if at all (depends on the humidity) and lets you know if it needs it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
DrJean

A portable a/c is mechanically the same as a window unit. The window unit puts the condenser coil outside so it can use outside air to cool the condenser coil. The single hose portable a/c uses the air that you are cooling to cool the condenser coil, so you get a negative air pressure inside the van, outside air is sucked into van to equalize the pressure difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36932197?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227025044388&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40876196312&wl4=pla-78767217512&wl5=1015117&wl6=&wl7=1015116&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=36932197&wl13=&veh=sem#about-item

You won't be sucking the hot outside air in---it isn't a window unit. It's a room unit, if it's the same idea I'm going for. It sucks the room air in and spits out cooler, less humid air and vents the other out the window. A good one has a decent sized water pan or catch that doesn't need emptying often, if at all (depends on the humidity) and lets you know if it needs it.
That is a single hose unit. Dual hose units are much more efficient.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
a one hose portable air conditioner is like having a fireplace in your house, all of the heat goes up the chimney! get a 2 hose AC, the air for cooling the unit itself is drawn in from the outside and it is exhausted outside, all of the cold air stays inside the van!

·
Registered
760 Posts
a one hose portable air conditioner is like having a fireplace in your house, all of the heat goes up the chimney! get a 2 hose AC, the air for cooling the unit itself is drawn in from the outside and it is exhausted outside, all of the cold air stays inside the van!
Obviously we are not on the same page :eek:

Why do I want, say in the scenario of needing ac, to have it pull the hot air from the outside to cool it. I don't even do that in the car, nor with Mulligan's ac...I recycle the inside air. It needs to vent (perhaps it has psychological needs IDK) so I put the vent in the window, but it draws the van air in to cool and recool it...

To have one window for the vent and one window, across the van for intake is not something that works. I had thought about a mini split but not doable... don't think that has 2 hoses for air? Doesn't matter. See above ;)

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
not to cool you, to cool the unit itself! and yes the car AC works the same way: air is drawn in through the AC condenser then through the radiator and then to the engine itself. with a one hose AC the air that is used to cool the condenser is the cold air that already is in the house, you are wasting cold air to cool the condenser! use a 2 hose AC and the outside air to cool the condenser.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let's see if a diagram can help...

Attached is a schematic of the refrigerant cycle. Note there are TWO fans on it, one for the evaporator (the indoor part that makes you cold) and one for the condenser (normally the outdoor part that gets rid of the heat).

On a standard house unit the entire condenser - fan and all - sits outside in a box beside the house. With a window unit it's all at the back end of the unit, where it still draws in outdoor air to cool itself then exhausts that air back outside.

With a portable AC unit, there is still a condenser fan (though there may be only one motor that does both fans) and the air it uses to cool the condenser coil comes from *somewhere*.

If you have a two-hose unit, it draws outdoor air in, blows it across the condenser, then exhausts it back out.

If you have a single-hose unit, it draws air *from the room*, blows it across the condenser, then exhausts it outside. That air it pulled from the room has to be replaced somehow - nature abhors a vacuum - and that's done by outside (unconditioned) air leaking in at every crack it can find. Loose door seals, windows that are cracked open, corner pillars, you name it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts