Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have 1st hand experience with Vandoit?

https://www.vandoit.com/

They have an interesting model, and seemingly good prices. They source a slightly used (about 15,000 miles) van that comes with a factory warranty (not sure of the terms of this) and they have an "a la carte" menu of features and upgrades that you can add and subtract from the build.

They use 80/20 extensively, which I like, and they build with modularity in mind. My wife and I are very interested in getting a new van within the next year since we just sold our old '04 Sprinter.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
WHAT?! And miss out on the fun of assembling your own campervan? :D

If you don't want to make your own, I highly suggest looking at low mile used class C RVs and commercial campervans. I've come across GREAT small RVs with less than 20k miles for $10-30k.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Any thoughts on their "space shuttle insulation". Friends worked on the shuttle as interns, but I don't remember that stuff? :)
(1982-1983 timeframe). Vandoit comments about leaving a 4" air gap, which I suspect is 2" on the top and bottom. Maybe adding up a 1" space on all four sides, but 4" airspace doesn't seem reasonable so I am missing something there.

Other things like "tractor switches" are reasonable. Heavy duty $8 switches compared to $1 items (that fail after a year). Marine grade wiring (each strand of copper wire is tinned to prevent corrosion) makes a ton of sense. Most builders just say "meh" and use the cheaper copper automotive stuff. Adds a little cost, but worth it.

Sourcing one-year-old vans at 15,000 miles mean factory three years / 36000 mile is still in force. Major depression is in the first year so drive off the lot with a $50,000 15 passenger van resell a year later is $30,000. That is reasonable.

I like most of the details, and majority pass common sense with how I'd build. So seems to be a reasonable option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I talked with VanDoit early this year, decided against it.
Once you get further into specifications you may find their system works for you or it may not. They are strongly oriented toward building a toyhauler. If that's you, it might work.
As an example, they are building the electrical options around their entertainment "box". Even if you really don't want a bigscreen tv with a dvd, you may still have to specify that "box" just to have their electrical controls panel. They were talking about modifying that dependence months ago, but the website doesn't show it.
Their quotes are based on the most common used 3.7L Passenger wagon. Any desire for a different base van will drive the price up quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm dying to "miss out on the fun" of building our own campervan. I'm minimally skilled with high standards, not a good combo.

Given our minimal needs in a van- Maxxfan, led lights, fridge, bed, inside mtb storage, b2b charger, maybe a heater, I think this could be a good option.

I do have some questions about the insulation. Sounds weird. I do think some of their stuff is pretty gimmicky, like the rear facing speakers intended for a wake boat, and the tv, and the colored lighting. I do like their approach though, however sparsely documented on their website. They're attempting to do something that no other builder that I've seen is doing.

The new "DO" model is also intriguing since it would allow me to build some cabinets out of 80/20 that could easily be attached to the van and then later taken out.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Skills are easily attainable. Just choose to do it. Or not, no judgment, but one would be remiss to give up the incredible feeling of accomplishment, whether it meets your story of standards or not. Anyhoo, when you're ready for solar and b2b wiring work I'd be happy to be in slc and help you out! I travel with a full set of tools

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love/actually hate when people say just do it, you can do anything! Not everyone can build a cool campervan that actually looks nice and is safe. Ask me how I know. I'm not skilled in that arena and I recognize that and am ok with that. I can do certain things better than others and others can do certain things better than me. Period. I tried building a camper van a few years ago and failed pretty hard. It wasted money and time and didn't feel good in the end. I'm way happier paying someone to do something that I value and I know I can't do. Period. Major props to all of you who are skilled craftspeople with the proper tools, equipment, training, patience, money and time to build a rad camper van. I'm not one of those people. I do think that I can build a simple cabinet or two out of 80/20 and bolt it in to existing 80/20. That is about the extent of the build that I'm willing to take on.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I love/actually hate when people say just do it, you can do anything! Not everyone can build a cool campervan that actually looks nice and is safe. Ask me how I know. I'm not skilled in that arena and I recognize that and am ok with that. I can do certain things better than others and others can do certain things better than me. Period. I tried building a camper van a few years ago and failed pretty hard. It wasted money and time and didn't feel good in the end. I'm way happier paying someone to do something that I value and I know I can't do. Period. Major props to all of you who are skilled craftspeople with the proper tools, equipment, training, patience, money and time to build a rad camper van. I'm not one of those people. I do think that I can build a simple cabinet or two out of 80/20 and bolt it in to existing 80/20. That is about the extent of the build that I'm willing to take on.
Fair enough! So be your choice.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I talked with VanDoit early this year, decided against it.
Once you get further into specifications you may find their system works for you or it may not. They are strongly oriented toward building a toyhauler. If that's you, it might work.
As an example, they are building the electrical options around their entertainment "box". Even if you really don't want a bigscreen tv with a dvd, you may still have to specify that "box" just to have their electrical controls panel. They were talking about modifying that dependence months ago, but the website doesn't show it.
Their quotes are based on the most common used 3.7L Passenger wagon. Any desire for a different base van will drive the price up quickly.
I didn't know this and I must say if they are firm on this it's a pretty bad business model. It is not hard at all to make every van custom and as the customer wants/needs. I can't see it even being any fun to try and standardize something like a campervan. Everyone wants something different!

@PDX, no shame in wanting a turn key van or something close to it. People like myself love building them and lots of guys here are hardcore DIYers. It can be an intimidating environment.
Not everyone has the time, skills, space or tools just as you said. Honestly, I've almost had to quit after building 6 or 8 for myself and others over the last few years. There's thing thing called making a living that gets in the way of these hobbies. I love building vans but have absolutely no interest in doing it for a living. I don't mix business and pleasure I guess. :D Also, lots of guys here are retired. I can see doing it full time after I retire but work and family come first.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It should be mentioned that SOME people on this forum (scotty) are selling their already built campervans, for what should be a much better price than VanDoIt, Sportsmobile and others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi! thanks for your questions about us :) We would love to answer any questions about our company or vans that you may have or direct you to customer reviews to get a better feel for us. Contrary to what some users in this forum have posted, we are not just a toy hauler can company. While our vans can haul your toys, we build the VanDOit customizable to fit the customers needs and desires and work our modular system to fit that. If you have any questions please reach out on our website, instagram or Facebook and a VanGuru would be more that happy to assist!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I talked to the guys for a good while at Overland Expo West this year. If you like the build, perfect! If you try to duplicate it would take you a year!! coming from someone who built a van with 80/20 this takes years of figuring out. They did this design with 80/20 engineers and had the material laser cut. Not to mention the cost of the 80/20 fittings are crazy expensive at our retail price.

Strongest build guaranteed! but these unit i saw were low roof passenger vans (passenger vans have head liners that take up a ton of space.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I talked to the guys for a good while at Overland Expo West this year. If you like the build, perfect! If you try to duplicate it would take you a year!! coming from someone who built a van with 80/20 this takes years of figuring out. They did this design with 80/20 engineers and had the material laser cut. Not to mention the cost of the 80/20 fittings are crazy expensive at our retail price.

Strongest build guaranteed! but these unit i saw were low roof passenger vans (passenger vans have head liners that take up a ton of space.
As a reference the cost of the 80/20 in my build was about $1800.00. The build has a full floor frame, upper cabinets, wheel well boxes, a sink cabinet, a refrigerator cabinet and a shower cabinet as well as a table made with 80/20.

Believe the use of 80/20 reduces build time. All the 80/20 is connected together to make on large structure inside the van. Nothing was laser cut for the 90/20. Made my own connectors to save time and reduce cost. Fasteners bought from a industrial supply company.

https://www.ortontransit.info/using-80-20-1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Skills aside ,knowledge and experience are better in the long run. I know everything is a compromise at some point but look at what the RV industry is doing when you plan your build. You are working on a vehicle that has a 10 year life span at best. why worry about the best insulation, heat , etc. It is not a home just a means to an end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you selling the various subsystems or just conversions? Reviewing your website I assumed it was the former but figured it was better to ask.
When I reached out it was just full conversions. I really just need a skeleton "kit" for the rear, since the van is still going to be a daily driver, but they have such a backlog right now it doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I planned on having my camper professionally built from the get-go. Yes, much more expensive, but I really don't have the knowhow, tools, or time to have done it myself. I will say that it took several years of building models in my garage, pondering every minor detail, imagining how I would use the camper, figuring out what I truly needed, and figuring out how to fit things that I wanted but didn't seem to fit. I then had the van built to my exact specifications. I know the feeling is different relative to DIYers, but almost 3 years later I can say that I am proud of my design and that I take great satisfaction in it. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't change anything regarding the design. Prior to this I never owned a van or a camper. I stumbled upon this website early on during the planning stage, and listening to all the DIYers on here I can say two things for sure: I am very impressed and I have learned a lot. I am now designing my retirement house to be built in a few years, and I will tell you straight-up, I am going to hire professionals to build it to my specifications. If I can find a website like this for DIY house building, I would be all over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts