21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
289 Posts
Good to hear you got your van back and not much damage done do it,
just how effective is the Pats system? I do have it but I think I will make the
investment on the Ravelco install, no installers close to me so I think I will
have it done on road trip south later this year.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders - SOLD
2,536 Posts
Every single time somebody tries to bring politics into a thread, the entire thread goes down hill. For now I have deleted the irrelevant posts. Going forward I'll issue 7 day bans to the offenders.

And name calling? What is this, a schoolyard? Come on folks, grow up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good to hear you got your van back and not much damage done do it,
just how effective is the Pats system? I do have it but I think I will make the
investment on the Ravelco install, no installers close to me so I think I will
have it done on road trip south later this year.
Your van does have PATS. it became standard in 2020ish. The OP's van was an earlier model. With out the rfid chip in the "key" the engine immobilizer will stop the engine within 3 seconds of a signal to the starter relay. The Ravelco system would prevent a starter signal to the relay . So you could consider it a second line of defense. High end criminals have cloning capability for PATS key chips. I think with the fuel pump disable strategy some have mentioned, You would be opening a Pandora's box of problems on a Direct Injected motor. You see on those engines the low pressure fuel pump circuit is energized with the act of opening the door. If there is not a correct fuel pressure signal at the high pressure fuel pump it will set fault codes and a no start condition or post start stall will occur. OF course any thing can be accomplished , with enough effort and technology. Then again thieves will be thieves.

Reactions: Rolf

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Then there's always the depressing thought of thieves towing your vehicle away. And I think even most people's well-intentioned neighbors could be fobbed off with something like "I know, can you believe it, practically a brand new van and it wouldn't start. We're here to tow it to the dealer for him. Thank goodness for warranties!"

Granted, that's no reason not to try to foil the lesser thieves who would want to drive it off.

Bah, thieves.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
re: PATS - I have now had two separate Ford Dealers tell me my van (2019) had PATS. The first said it would make it too difficult, the second said its actually not that hard to work around. Just need a tablet/laptop/or get your hands on one of the dealer devices. I found a smashed up Acura keyfob in the car, maybe they can create a dummy signal. I'm not sure.

Tell us more about when and where it was stolen, please. That's good info.

Glad to hear you got it back, and that 2020 and onward with pats wouldn't have worked for these thieves.

Cheers.
Corner of Alvarado & Reservoir. Cops said to expect it to continue to be broken into unless I put it in a secure lot, pretty much. AAA & my tow driver had the same sentiments. It's tough out here for folks and there's not really consequences for theft until sentencing, so you can just keep racking up charges. If that's how you eat, I get it. Just gotta realize I'm food & make this meal a little less tasty than whoever I'm parked by.

The Ravelco system would prevent a starter signal to the relay . So you could consider it a second line of defense. High end criminals have cloning capability for PATS key chips. I think with the fuel pump disable strategy some have mentioned, You would be opening a Pandora's box of problems on a Direct Injected motor. You see on those engines the low pressure fuel pump circuit is energized with the act of opening the door. If there is not a correct fuel pressure signal at the high pressure fuel pump it will set fault codes and a no start condition or post start stall will occur. OF course any thing can be accomplished , with enough effort and technology. Then again thieves will be thieves.
I'm thinking ravelco + alarm/gps. If I had gotten a notification I could've gotten to it quicker. ALTHOUGH the guy next to me at the police station reporting his stolen car did have the gps tracking and it took him close to 40 minutes to convince them to send a car. Had to contact the other area's watch commander which apparently was a tall order. Cops suggested fuel pump thing, I mentioned to mechanic and he said it would be a royal pain in the ass unless you were also a mechanic and even then it's still a 10 min job that you're just not gonna want to do every time you park.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
* I already don't keep anything irreplicable/too sentimental in the van, so they basically just messed up my wiring (senselessly at times) and took my yeti 5000x (ouch) and a bunch of sm58 microphones, cables, and random music accessories. plus my stuffed pheasant/mascot. it honestly looked worse at certain times in the construction process (or so I'm telling myself for the moment).

I already figured smash and grab was guaranteed at some point. It was the whole van disappearing that rattled me lol

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
* I already don't keep anything irreplicable/too sentimental in the van, so they basically just messed up my wiring (senselessly at times) and took my yeti 5000x (ouch) and a bunch of sm58 microphones, cables, and random music accessories. plus my stuffed pheasant/mascot. it honestly looked worse at certain times in the construction process (or so I'm telling myself for the moment).

I already figured smash and grab was guaranteed at some point. It was the whole van disappearing that rattled me lol
Okay, thank you Drif. Happy you got it back, but this is good info. Can you let us know when it was broken into? Was it overnight and you weren't in the van, or during the day parked on the street?

Here are some comments:

PATS (keyfob chip security) is defeatable, but the average thief doesn't have the tech, so the odds of them overcoming it go down. If there's a way to do it with another brand's keyfob's chip, like that smashed up one you found, that's news to me. But I believe it. They're constantly trying to find new ways.

The old-school fuel pump trick is to create a cutoff switch you can hide in the cab somewhere. You're just cutting off power to it. I believe someone was working on this idea or mentioned it in another thread. I think we were trying to find the fuse for the fuel pump, which then makes it easy to wire in a cutoff, ideally without being obvious about it and making it easy for thieves to just pull your cutoff wiring. But even that would slow them down, they'd need to know where the fuse box was, figure out which wire it was, etc. Creating hassle is a big part of stopping theft.

Alvarado and Reservoir is getting pretty close to downtown. I avoid that area these days because I used to live down there, and at least in the 2000's the crime was very high. Even the cops in Rampart district ran their own brothel and sold cocaine. Here's a map for other readers: ignore my hearts, stars, and want-to-go's, although you can tell I spend most of my time in NoHo and Santa Monica:

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2021 Crew Van AWD, EcoBoost, 148, HR, Adventure Package
72 Posts
That's horrible news. Vans may be becoming a hot ticket item and my bet is the thieves know about all the expensive goodies inside a van conversion. I've said it before in this forum and it's worth repeating. Install a Revelco anti theft device in your recovered or replaced van. It will never be stolen again. I also like the Air Tag comment as this will work good for the interior stuff.

Good luck
Thanks for the reminder Moraflex. Did a little research on the Ravelco. Looks bullet proof! Seriously! Anyone have any cons to this system or know of anything better? Check out this video from their website on some of the tech available to thieves. https://www.ravelco.com/Consumer Al... Vehicles Using Remote Car Keys-http-3404.mp4
For the Transits, they would need the key to start the van as it's not push button start, but they would at least be inside! Then once inside, use other techniques to start the van.
Interested in everyone's thoughts on this system.

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
201 Posts
Because van theft is an epidemic, I installed a Ravelco device on our 2019 Transit. It took the insaller ~ 2 hours to install it. He came to the house to do the installation. I also ordered a third fob at the time of the installation from the manufacturer. In addition to the Ravelco device, I installed a gps tracker (Home - GPS Tracking) to track the van in case someone decides to haul it away. The only down side is that I occasionally forget to replace the fob before trying to start the van …. embarrassing :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The theft happened overnight. I finally signed a lease, so I've been indoors for a few months and she's been down the street. I walk by and check every day / use from time to time, but I'm thinking they noticed it was in the neighborhood now & that I didn't live in it, so that was the green light.

I talked to an alarm company that installs a system called Skytrack. Anyone familiar?

I brought up the ravelco and he said they can just add a feature that disables the starter when the alarm is activated. That would be in addition to GPS tracking & alerts to my phone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Ravelco is a simple but effective deterrent, I have installed one on my son’s jeep. He lives’ in downtown Portland OR, it has been on the vehicle for a year with no issues. It had been stolen, which is what prompted us to go with Ravelco. The unit is a 16-pin connector, with five wires coming from it. One of the wires is shorter and should be connected to ground. The other four wires are paired.

If you order from Ravelco for a DIY install they will provide you details on the vehicle, and what circuits that you are interrupting, they also provide wire colors, and I will say for the Jeep, I installed it on they were spot on.

The wires coming out of the connector are all black, they are protected by armor for a short distance. This will probably get you to the fire wall. Two of the longer wires have white tabs on them (1 pair)) the other two makes up the second pair, the shorter wire is to be connected to ground.

You must pick two circuits to be disabled. The general practice is interrupting the control wires for relays. Suggestions such as fuel injection control (as long as it is not the CPU power), fuel control from the fuel pump, ignition control (hot lead to distributor), and starter. In most cases you are interrupting a relay, so you should a hot side of the coil and a ground side. The control wire could ether be power or ground. For the most effective protection we generally choose the hot side of the coil, even if it is being controlled by the low side.

Part of the reasoning here is if someone tried figure out the decode of the 5 wires, they would have a good chance of tying the ground wire to a positive voltage. This will then blow the fuse rendering the circuit broken. For that reason, the hot wire you’re interrupting needs to be fused. After interrupting a circuit with the Ravelco pairs, the circuits will only be able to work when the Ravelco coded cap is installed.

You will probably spend half of the time doing the install fitting the Ravelco wires into the existing harness. This will make it more difficult to trace the wires. I would certainly try to disable the circuits in someway such as pulling fuse or relay and making sure that the vehicle won’t start and won’t throw a code if interrupted. It doesn’t have to be a relay control either, many traditional relays are now in the BCM.

We had some one post that a blown fuse on the BCM to power fort the DTC or communication module prevent the vehicle from starting. This makes sense because the communication module handles CAN data across the different busses (there are at least four)

-greg

·
Premium Member
2021 Crew Van AWD, EcoBoost, 148, HR, Adventure Package
72 Posts
The Ravelco is a simple but effective deterrent, I have installed one on my son’s jeep. He lives’ in downtown Portland OR, it has been on the vehicle for a year with no issues. It had been stolen, which is what prompted us to go with Ravelco. The unit is a 16-pin connector, with five wires coming from it. One of the wires is shorter and should be connected to ground. The other four wires are paired.

If you order from Ravelco for a DIY install they will provide you details on the vehicle, and what circuits that you are interrupting, they also provide wire colors, and I will say for the Jeep, I installed it on they were spot on.

The wires coming out of the connector are all black, they are protected by armor for a short distance. This will probably get you to the fire wall. Two of the longer wires have white tabs on them (1 pair)) the other two makes up the second pair, the shorter wire is to be connected to ground.

You must pick two circuits to be disabled. The general practice is interrupting the control wires for relays. Suggestions such as fuel injection control (as long as it is not the CPU power), fuel control from the fuel pump, ignition control (hot lead to distributor), and starter. In most cases you are interrupting a relay, so you should a hot side of the coil and a ground side. The control wire could ether be power or ground. For the most effective protection we generally choose the hot side of the coil, even if it is being controlled by the low side.

Part of the reasoning here is if someone tried figure out the decode of the 5 wires, they would have a good chance of tying the ground wire to a positive voltage. This will then blow the fuse rendering the circuit broken. For that reason, the hot wire you’re interrupting needs to be fused. After interrupting a circuit with the Ravelco pairs, the circuits will only be able to work when the Ravelco coded cap is installed.

You will probably spend half of the time doing the install fitting the Ravelco wires into the existing harness. This will make it more difficult to trace the wires. I would certainly try to disable the circuits in someway such as pulling fuse or relay and making sure that the vehicle won’t start and won’t throw a code if interrupted. It doesn’t have to be a relay control either, many traditional relays are now in the BCM.

We had some one post that a blown fuse on the BCM to power fort the DTC or communication module prevent the vehicle from starting. This makes sense because the communication module handles CAN data across the different busses (there are at least four)

-greg
Thanks for the write up Greg. You provide some very good considerations. I also didn't realize they allowed DIY.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts