Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, thought I'd be popping back up with the tour video I shot last weekend but my van was stolen last night in LA.

If you live in the area and see any parts come up - solar panels, goal zero, music equipment, or even a whole ass van with NH plates please call the LAPD. License plate is 492 5192.

It's a white high roof with six solar panels and a maxxair fan.

Funny enough, someone tried breaking in two weeks ago and between the Ford dealer and some forum posts I got the impression that they'd only ever take what's inside cause the whole thing would not be worth the trouble. Guessing they just moved it somewhere to ransack in peace? Idk but thanks for keeping your eyes out

DRIF

·
Registered
111 Posts
So sorry this happened to you. I hope the van gets found.
After having my non-Transit van broken into (smashed the driver side window and took a bag under front console with gear, but fortunately, not my wallet or money), I started sticking Apple AirTags in all my bags (backpack, camera bag, etc). If I had one of those hidden in my gear bag, I would have been able to find it (even if the thief had ditched it in a trash dumpster).

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hey ya'll, thought I'd be popping back up with the tour video I shot last weekend but my van was stolen last night in LA.

If you live in the area and see any parts come up - solar panels, goal zero, music equipment, or even a whole ass van with NH plates please call the LAPD. License plate is 492 5192.

Funny enough, someone tried breaking in two weeks ago and between the Ford dealer and some forum posts I got the impression that they'd only ever take what's inside cause the whole thing would not be worth the trouble. Guessing they just moved it somewhere to ransack in peace? Idk but thanks for keeping your eyes out

DRIF
Dang yo! What part of LA? Time of day? Was it at night while you slept in a house or apartment? You might want to post the full plate number so people can keep an eye out, but it's probably in a garage somewhere being stripped.

How do you think they stole it? Did you have a spare key inside, or do you think they towed it away. I'd imagine traffic cams could to pickup a tow truck's plate, but maybe not.

When I go I pay my brother to let me park in his spot in the gated area at his apartment. But I was starting to think that was unnecessary. Guess not. It might be time for that always-uploading security camera system, or to install my e-stopp with key. At least then they'd have to tow it with the p-brake dragging, smoking, and burning up.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,382 Posts
After having my non-Transit van broken into (smashed the driver side window and took a bag under front console with gear, but fortunately, not my wallet or money), I started sticking Apple AirTags in all my bags (backpack, camera bag, etc). If I had one of those hidden in my gear bag, I would have been able to find it (even if the thief had ditched it in a trash dumpster).
Good idea, might be worth putting an air tag on the van itself too.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The oldest Order Guide I have handy is the 2021. It already shows PATS as standard. This excerpt is from the Standard Features section and the balls represent all the van styles having it. It does not have the Star symbol indicating new features so it must have become standard prior to 2021

Brown Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think it became standard in 2020

There are multiple ways discussed on the forum to make the van much harder to steal. Good time for people to look them up and do them.

Really sorry you got your van stolen OP :(

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know about this tech. I like the recovery features more than I dislike the downsides (worth reading about them here). I got a Tile for my elderly mom last year, but Apple has turned their tags into something potentially far more useful.

Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts

DRIF
So terrible this happened to you. As short staffed as PD's are now, finding your van may not be a priority to them. Maybe you can do some investigative leg work and go knock on all the doors of homes, apts, businesses, and ask if they have any security cameras that may have recorded the theft or caught any video of the thief around the area?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
They stole my pickup truck and the city impound lot found it the same day minus the engine, I called the cops every day for two weeks before they knew where it was.
No radiator, No engine and no transmission I told the impound lot to keep it. It was a old chevy truck that had a new GM Targetmaster engine.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit 250 MR Cargo ECO
1,382 Posts
Might make it harder to steal with a custom wrap or paint job too.

In a big city, lots of big white vans so not much for police to work with.

In the teeny burg I am in there might be three other people with medium roof white Transits, so not a good choice to steal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's horrible news. Vans may be becoming a hot ticket item and my bet is the thieves know about all the expensive goodies inside a van conversion. I've said it before in this forum and it's worth repeating. Install a Revelco anti theft device in your recovered or replaced van. It will never be stolen again. I also like the Air Tag comment as this will work good for the interior stuff.

Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy **** some guy found it! It was blocking him in or something. He put it in neutral and towed/pushed to a parking lot. Got my phone number off a receipt he found! Said that's how the guy who found his stolen van contacted him last month!

I've been on hold with LAPD for 20min trying to call it in so I can go get it. One mile away. And then I guess triple aaa to a mechanic? Still haven't heard from geico so not sure the best move.

My main takeaway is that the Ford dealer was full of $#! %. I was gonna put a ravelco and some other things in and he assured me stealing would require a laptop and more time than a thief would spend. Turns out they just hotwired it the old fashioned way. I didn't have pats or anything. I was out here living reckless, but the van is back, my woodwork is still in place and panels are on the roof!! Let's gooooooo

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Holy **** some guy found it! It was blocking him in or something. He put it in neutral and towed/pushed to a parking lot. Got my phone number off a receipt he found!
WOW!!! So happy for you!

I don't know what the official procedure should be, but I would go to wherever it is and just keep it in sight of my eyeballs until the next step in the process.

Kudos to the person who dug for your receipt and contacted you, instead of just being all "not my problem" and ignoring it. 🥇

PS: Now you can post your tour video at some point without it being all horribly bittersweet (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Holy **** some guy found it! It was blocking him in or something. He put it in neutral and towed/pushed to a parking lot. Got my phone number off a receipt he found! Said that's how the guy who found his stolen van contacted him last month!

I've been on hold with LAPD for 20min trying to call it in so I can go get it. One mile away. And then I guess triple aaa to a mechanic? Still haven't heard from geico so not sure the best move.

My main takeaway is that the Ford dealer was full of $#! %. I was gonna put a ravelco and some other things in and he assured me stealing would require a laptop and more time than a thief would spend. Turns out they just hotwired it the old fashioned way. I didn't have pats or anything. I was out here living reckless, but the van is back, my woodwork is still in place and panels are on the roof!! Let's gooooooo
Tell us more about when and where it was stolen, please. That's good info.

Glad to hear you got it back, and that 2020 and onward with pats wouldn't have worked for these thieves.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts