Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The market is showing that small business owners, once too nervous about the economy to make big purchases, are ready to invest in thier companies once again. According to DetroitNews, the spending is coming for two reasons. First, aging vans are wearing out. Second, confidence is growing as is evidenced by a January survey for Wells Fargo that found that optimism among small-business owners hit the highest level in five years.

Commercial van sales last year were up 40 percent since 2010. And this is good news because van sales are seen as a bellweather for the broader economic recovery since small businesses are reluctant to spend after a recession. Indeed, in 2009 Ford sold 8,800 Transit Connects compared to 40,000 last year.

Are you a small business owner? Do you feel confident enough to buy a commercial van now?

Old vans are dying, so small businesses are buying | The Detroit News

·
Registered
166 Posts
I started a similar thread last week http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-connect-general-discussion/1233-van-sales-driven-small-business.html

I'll reiterate pretty much what I said there. My prime worry is that small business' do not behave like consumers, a small business owner will not turnover their fleet every 2-3 years because status or whatever motivates a consumer to behave that way.

Small biz will fleet up now and sustain their fleet well past pay backs. It is quickly becoming quite the crowded segment and I just worry about how long these new commercial van sales will be able to keep up the pace...

Eventually you know its going to flat line unless these automakers are able to completely decimate the desirability of these 2013/2014 models with whatever bows in 2016 and beyond. I'm talking there needs to be SERIOUS mileage increases for a small business owner to even consider a full fleet turnover...

but what do I know, I'm just a fisherman who don't know nothing ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
There's not a better time than now to buy a cargo van. Interest rates are low, companies are more willing to spread out payments over a longer term and overall it's lower in cost to own and run it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not about small business owners replacing their fleet every 2 years though. Many of the people buying vans in 2016 will be replacing vans that were bought before this year. Its just a matter of people being willing to replace their fleet, not as much a matter of how long they have had their current fleet.

The other part of the scenario is that some vans may be bought not to replace a current fleet, but to expand the business. That is a sure sign that the economy is improving and confidence is coming back.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Its not about small business owners replacing their fleet every 2 years though. Many of the people buying vans in 2016 will be replacing vans that were bought before this year. Its just a matter of people being willing to replace their fleet, not as much a matter of how long they have had their current fleet.

The other part of the scenario is that some vans may be bought not to replace a current fleet, but to expand the business. That is a sure sign that the economy is improving and confidence is coming back.
That is true, I guess on a manufacture level they can offer better more affordable cargo vans to make people want to buy them. not sure how that will work though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts