Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 T250 AWD Crew LWB HR (hopefully I'll get it by the end of Sept)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Okay, I'm starting to freak myself out after reading rocland's post, see below. I am not picking up my van in person, instead I will be using a transportation company. Sorry if this is a naive/stupid question; does this mean I get what I get for not picking it up in person and checking off all the boxes?

TIA

rocland
Registered

Joined Jun 29, 2018
75 Posts
#6 14 d ago
Bringing this thread back up since it seems to be the most recent and complete of the several New Vehicle Inspection threads.

My van has been "In Production" now for 35 days (35 since the Build Day) and as of the last report from my dealer, it is in a HOLD status (not released for shipping) for some unknown reason. Initially, I was told the delay was the Remote Start option which was done offsite by a 3rd party. However, several vans with the same option built after mine (one by 2 weeks) going to the same dealer have already been delivered so that theory doesn't work. At this point, I have to believe that something is wrong with the van - either it failed the quality control check or was damaged/in an accident.

I doubt I'll get the full story from Ford. However, if and when it ever shows up to dealer, I think this requires a FULL inspection prior to acceptance. I combined the several threads, installed options and owner's manual info to come up with this inspection checklist. If anyone has anything to add, no matter how small, please add it. After waiting over 9 months since the order date for this vehicle, it would be disappointing to reject this van and start all over but the last thing I want is a lemon or compromised vehicle that I was planning to keep 10+ years. Thanks all.

Van Pre-Delivery Checklist
  • Check Window Sticker against Order Form
  • Check Window Sticker against Installed Options
Ensure it includes extras (usually in glove box):
  • Fuel Funnel
  • Jack, lug wrench, rods (Located under and on the side of passenger seat)
  • Owner’s Manual
  • Keyless pad code card - If you order the keyless entry on your Transit, there is a rectangular box either in the driver's door or in the glove box that has the instructions for adding a code to the keyless entry as well as a plastic CARD with the Ford selected code. Be sure to keep the box or at least the instructions and the CARD that has the code installed at the factory. Losing this plastic CARD may cause you not to have use of the keyless entry and sometimes Ford dealers will charge you to get this code. They have to plug into the vehicle system to retrieve this code so that is why they may charge for this service. You may think it is a empty box as it is very light in weight but the instructions and the plastic CARD do not weigh very much!
  • Keys (2 + 2 Additional)
Exterior Inspection
  • Certification and Tire Placards
  • Check the entire paint job (chipped, missing sections, drips, runs, scratches)
  • Look for dents
  • Rust, particularly underneath
  • Take a ladder and check the roof for damage to the body and paint job, attachment points well sealed
  • Check sliding door for functioning / alignment and for paint chips and undue wear, showing misalignment
  • Same for all doors
  • All exterior door handles and locks work
  • Rear door full open release
  • Fuel Filler door and pipe
  • Check the fit of all body panels, make sure alignment and gaps are even
  • Check for chipped or cracked glass
  • Look under the vehicle for damage from loading/unloading
  • Look under the van for oil and fluid leaks/residue
  • Extended fuel tank installed
  • Check air pressure in tires (Based upon door sticker)
  • Tires all the same
  • Check that spare tire is actually there, Lower/Raise tire
  • Pop the hood and check the “plumbing,” ensuring hoses, etc. are attached and solid.
    • Engine block heater
    • Aux Heater prep package
    • Dual alternators
  • All keys work with all buttons
  • All keypads work
  • Trailer hitch & connections
  • Wheel wheel liners (front only)
  • Front License plate bracket
  • Privacy glass
Interior Inspection
  • Cargo Area
    • All Cargo rings present
    • look for cracks in the adhesive that holds rear wall braces and ceiling braces
    • look for water in lower portions of walls
  • Assist handles (A & B pillar)
  • Large center console
  • Aux fuse panel installed
  • Glove box lock
  • Windows - all switches
  • Doors - all interior handles and locks
  • Anti-Theft Alarm
    • Perimeter Alarm - Open door or hood without key nearby
    • Interior Alarm - Move inside armed van without key nearby
  • Seats - 10 way power run to full stops in both seats, arm rests, head restraints
    • Heaters
    • All fabric/leather in good condition without wrinkles, Seams tight
    • Dual batteries
  • CCPs both work
  • Seat Belt latches / retractors
  • Parking brake - push down system works
  • Airbag passenger switch
  • Steering Wheel
    • Tilt/Telescope adjustments
    • All buttons work
    • Horn
  • Power mirrors
    • Adjustments
    • Fold/Unfold
  • Instrument Cluster
    • All lights work, bright/dim
  • Vehicle Maintenance Monitor
  • Wipers
    • Single, Intermittent (different speeds), Normal, High Speed, Wash
  • Lights
    • Exterior - Headlamps (low/high/flash), fog, parking, brake,, Autolamp (headlights ON within 10 seconds of wipers on, Off 60 seconds after wipers off)
      • Turn signal (including on mirrors), On and Flash (3 times)
    • Interior - Courtesy Lamps, Cargo lights
  • Climate control
    • All vents move and shutoff air
    • Recirc - On/Off
    • AC - On/Off/Max
    • Defrost - On/Off/Max
      • Rear window & mirrors on at same time
    • Fan - All speeds
    • Air Direction - Windshield, Panel, Footwell
    • Temperature Range
  • Remote Start
  • Aux Power Points
    • 12V (console, top of instrument panel)
    • USB (console, top of instrument panel)
  • Trailer Brake Controller
  • Hazard Flasher
  • Radio
    • All speakers working (4 front, 2 rear)
  • Sync 3
    • CarPlay
    • USB
    • Phone connection
    • AM, FM
Road Test
  • Manual Select Shift - All positions on steering wheel
  • Progressive Range Selection
  • Auto Stop/Start
  • Alignment
  • Vibration or drone
  • Power steering pump noise
  • Drive Modes
    • Normal
    • Eco
    • Slippery
    • Tow/Haul mode (Delay upshifts & engine braking downhill)
    • Mud/Ruts
  • Traction Control Off/On
  • Parking Aids Front/Rear (<=3 MPH)
    • Button On/Off
    • Calibration / Tone
      • Front - Up to 27 in / High pitch tone front speakers
      • Rear - Up to 71 in / Low pitch tone rear speakers
      • Continuous tone if < 12 inch
      • Indicator blocks on information display
  • Rear Camera
    • All guidelines
    • Zoom feature
  • Front Camera
    • Toggle views - Normal, Expanded, Zoom
  • Parking Aids - Side Sensing
    • Coverage - up to 24 inches on sides
    • Audible tone / Indicator Display
  • Active Park Assist
    • Perpendicular (2 presses & turn signal)
      • Driver / Passenger parking
    • Parallel (1 press)
      • Press button once to leave & turn signal, shift to R
    • Tone sounds when parking complete
  • Cross Traffic Alert (traffic 4-37 mph)
    • Tone, Warning light in exterior mirror, arrows in info display
  • Cruise Control (>12 mph)
    • Set/Increase/Decrease/Cancel/Resume
    • Adaptive Cruise Control
      • Change gap distance - 4 settings
      • Override speed
  • Lane Keeping System (>37 mph)
    • On/Off (button on turn indicator)
    • Change Intensity Levels
    • Change Sensitivity Levels
    • Aid and Alert Modes
  • BLIS
    • Detection Area
      • From mirrors to 13 ft beyond rear bumpers
      • >30 mph - Extends to 59 feet beyond rear bumpers
    • Indicates in mirror, flashes if turn signal is on
  • Car wash
    • Check for leaks
    • Check auto wipers
  • Night Driving
    • Headlights aligned
    • Auto High Beam (speed > 32 mph)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, mine is an unusual situation. It's now been 48 days since Build Day and Ford still won't confess what is wrong with the vehicle. And, so far, whatever it is, Ford has been unable to fix it. I can't put it any other way but that the Ford Production & Customer Service teams have been a**holes. I don't trust them. Hence, my checklist.

Normally, I would say you shouldn't have a major issue unless you get trapped with a van that fails Final Check like mine did. Your dealer also a delivery checklist to run before transport. However, if something pops up after delivery, I believe your recourse is going to be a warranty repair. I know mine already failed and so it is starting out as "damaged" goods. If I find a crappy repair during checkout, it will save me the headache of the warranty/lemon law return. With this coverup going on, 50-50 right now whether I accept the vehicle.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I can understand being nervous when you purchase a new vehicle far enough away that hiring a transporter is an option. I picked up my new Transit at Matt Ford in K.C. about a month ago. I would have been OK hiring a transporter once I talked to my salesman and had him send me a few photos of it on the lot. It ended up being pretty expensive to ship it and I had the time off so I rented a car one way.

After waiting six months for it to be built (because of the plant shutting down) I remember thinking that I was putting a lot of trust in a salesman that I had never met face to face. What if they didn't get the order right? What happens if the van is blue instead of gray? What if it doesn't drive as well as it should? With the vans so hard to find on lots, and the wait so long to order one the way you want, I finally decided that there weren't any other options, so it was pointless to worry about it. I didn't use any checklists when I picked it up. I had two days of driving to figure out if everything worked the way it should, and if not I'd take it to my local Ford dealer to have it fixed under warranty. These new vehicles are so complex that it might take weeks of ownership to really determine if everything is working, whether you order one and have it delivered or drive one off a local lot. You hope for the best and have Ford fix any issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems a bit overboard to expect a POS lemon from a brand new vehicle. Most people don't even inspect a USED vehicle like this. If it's broken, you have the warranty. Easy enough.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Seems a bit overboard to expect a POS lemon from a brand new vehicle. Most people don't even inspect a USED vehicle like this. If it's broken, you have the warranty. Easy enough.
For me, I’ve never had a car buying situation even close to this. Ford is giving Matt Ford/Ed the runaround on info. It will be 50 days tomorrow and Ford still can’t fix it (whatever “it” is). In my state, 30 days out of service qualifies as a lemon. Ford seems to be meeting that standard even before delivery.

Prepare for the worst...

·
Registered
23 Posts
For me, I’ve never had a car buying situation even close to this. Ford is giving Matt Ford/Ed the runaround on info. It will be 50 days tomorrow and Ford still can’t fix it (whatever “it” is). In my state, 30 days out of service qualifies as a lemon. Ford seems to be meeting that standard even before delivery.

Prepare for the worst...
Your situation is a bit different. Isn’t it a good thing it failed inspection and didn’t make it through unnoticed though? You don’t have to answer. It sucks you don’t know what IT was. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread if your issue is being discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
2020 T250 AWD Crew LWB HR (hopefully I'll get it by the end of Sept)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for easing my anxiety. It's the first major vehicle purchase for me, so lots of not knowing what to expect with the whole process.

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan on order..........
109 Posts
I've never special ordered a vehicle before either. My Transit was completed July 23, 2020 and sent to the rail yard July 27. It's still sitting there according to the tracking but Ford Canada says it was returned to factory for some sort of QC. I think that is BS. So it's still probably sitting on Ramp 6P waiting to go on a rail car as of Sept 16.

All I can do is think about other things and be happy that I've only got a small refundable down payment tied up in this and the possibility that I'll end up with a vehicle that is exactly what I want. 😎

1 - 8 of 8 Posts