Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Van Compass winch mount / front receiver bumper is complete. Images of our prototype unit shown. The bumper is attached very well to the van. There are two channels that tie the bumper into the engine cross member and a factory hole on the frame rail to prevent leverage from pulling or the receiver hitch from damaging the frame. An optional skid plate is in the works that attaches to the bumper to protect the intercooler.

Cost should be under $1000.
Production units will be powder coated matte black.

Tow hooks are optional, the 2" receiver is a great place for pulling the van from if needed.

Attachments

Registered
I know designers and fabricators must get tired of people who say: "I love what you have done, but could you just change this, and raise that up a bit, and ........"
However, I love what you have done on this thing, BUT, is it possible to put some strategically placed lightening holes in the design without weakening it appreciably?
Also, it looks like that winch tray will hold a lot of water, leading to corrosion. I don't see any drainage holes, just holes to bolt the winch down.
Your unit would make an excellent foundation for a home-made bull bar. If we are going to do a bunch of welding and grinding on that beauty, seems a shame to go to the trouble of powder coating it first. Could it be ordered without powder coating?
I know I am being a pain in the butt, but that is how we DIYers are sometimes! 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I know designers and fabricators must get tired of people who say: "I love what you have done, but could you just change this, and raise that up a bit, and ........"
However, I love what you have done on this thing, BUT, is it possible to put some strategically placed lightening holes in the design without weakening it appreciably?
Also, it looks like that winch tray will hold a lot of water, leading to corrosion. I don't see any drainage holes, just holes to bolt the winch down.
Your unit would make an excellent foundation for a home-made bull bar. If we are going to do a bunch of welding and grinding on that beauty, seems a shame to go to the trouble of powder coating it first. Could it be ordered without powder coating?
I know I am being a pain in the butt, but that is how we DIYers are sometimes! 馃槃
Thanks for the input.

A few drainage holes can be added and should be. There are a few extra holes that with winch will not cover to allow for draining, but adding a few more won't hurt. We could probably only lose a few ounces by putting in more lightening holes. The cost of the parts go up every time the laser cutter have to pierce the part and spend more time cutting.

We could do them non-powder coated, that is not an issue. The part is a really good mount to fabricate from.

Registered
Thanks for giving me a use for my Apple pen! I blackened out the blue parts.

Those lights are finally growing on me, and maybe a receiver style license place holder would be the solution to keep road grime off the winch?

Attachments

Registered
This is exactly what I've been looking for. It's much cleaner than the Aluminess Bumper. Where would the front license plate mount? When do you think it'll be available on the market?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I've been looking for. It's much cleaner than the Aluminess Bumper. Where would the front license plate mount? When do you think it'll be available on the market?
You could mount the license plate to a 2" receiver plate mount. or a mount like this.
https://www.4wd.com/p/warrior-hawse-license-plate-mount-2360/_/R-BKTR-2360

We are making one more complete winch mount this week to build our welding fixture. Once complete, we will order up a run winch mounts from our laser cutter and get the production run pricing finalized. Hoping to have the parts available to ship early June.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice!! Do you happen to make a front hitch receiver mount only? I have no need for a winch but would love to be able to mount our bike rack to the front.
Not at this point. It will cost just about the same to make just a front hitch. We will see how well this product moves and determine if the additional cost of designing and stocking just a front hitch is worth it.

Registered
Not at this point. It will cost just about the same to make just a front hitch. We will see how well this product moves and determine if the additional cost of designing and stocking just a front hitch is worth it.

I am very interested (just signed up on your mailing list). Have you determined a price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
It will be close to $1,000. I will be sending off the final drawing to our laser cutter next week for a production quote. We got one more made to display at overland expo west and dialed in our welding fixture.

Our optional skid plate just came in from powder coating. I'm digging the blue on our demo van.

Attachments

Registered
It will be close to $1,000. I will be sending off the final drawing to our laser cutter next week for a production quote. We got one more made to display at overland expo west and dialed in our welding fixture.

Our optional skid plate just came in from powder coating. I'm digging the blue on our demo van.

Cool, thanks! That skid plate looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Finally!

Am I allowed to politely say, "Hurry up!?" :D Need to mount my winch, and despise the aluminess bumper design. I was actually getting ready to build my own mount based on a design I saw in Europe. The European mount does a better job of making it "hidden," but it doesn't have the skid plate option or a receiver. Good job! You wouldn't happen to have a weight on that beast, would you?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
We did a final test fitment on another van last week. Our part and welding fixture are dialed in. I will be getting all the materials priced out over the next week to get the final retail price for production run qtys. A true shipping date is now end of September.

Our intercooler skids are just about finished. I will be taking the first run of parts over to powdercoating tomorrow and will be shipping pre-orders early next week. We have 1 unit available that has not been pre-ordered and another batch will be done in 2-3 weeks.

https://vancompass.com/collections/transit-2015/products/van-compass-ford-transit-intercooler-skid-plate-2013

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts