Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took one year to complete, was more stressful than I thought it would be, was more spendy than anticipated. But, learnt some new skills and honed some old ones. Now going to go out and use the crap out of it:D Much thanks to all that responded to questions asked.

Cheers, Mr M.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Very cool, I like the layout of the dinette/bed.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You should be proud of that work. Very nice finishing job.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Beautiful.
I hope your trips are as nice as the van!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Do you have flares installed?

Beautiful! Well done, Mr. M!
It looks like a regular cargo with panels put into the indents where the windows WOULD be. A lazy...uh, less labor intensive, short-cut "build" would have flat panels covering the entire wall instead of utilizing the contours, thus losing that space. Or for argument's sake, a floor to ceiling flat wall would allow insulation that space. Yeah, that's the ticket.

The fabric on the foam B-pillar tops, was that installed with a vacuum table?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice! Can I ask the source of your porta potty slider?
-B
Barryvan, just a homemade one. Wanted something that slid easily on carpet. The slider is guided by the runners in the cabinet itself so it doesn't bang up the sides when sliding it in, and stays in place once it's in there. Strap comes off a cargo tie down. In the event of a crash i wouldn't want my wife copping the crapper in the back of her head>:D

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have flares installed?

Beautiful! Well done, Mr. M!
Nah, no flares, just curved inset panels in 1/4"ply with 1/2" curved ribs and 1" polyiso glued to the backs. Finished with Hull liner. (The curve mimics the van panels). Insetting the panels give me an extra 3" on the width of the bed cushions (27"wide) so thought it was worth the extra work.
The panels aren't glued or attached (in fact barely touch the van sheet metal) to the metal skin in the field and are attached on the perimeter only with color matched self tappers so they can be removed if needed. Thought they may squeak, but no!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like a regular cargo with panels put into the indents where the windows WOULD be. A lazy...uh, less labor intensive, short-cut "build" would have flat panels covering the entire wall instead of utilizing the contours, thus losing that space. Or for argument's sake, a floor to ceiling flat wall would allow insulation that space. Yeah, that's the ticket.

The fabric on the foam B-pillar tops, was that installed with a vacuum table?
surly Bill, no vac table, It's amazing how much you can work a single piece of Hull liner. Cut, glued & trimmed the bolt inset first, then covered the rest in one go. Re trimmed the crap out of the Black blobs though before covering them so they would not be trapped by my front ceiling panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great idea for the wall inserts. Great job. I've noticed how much wasted space was there was when I removed the stock black panels. Think this would allow me to move the bed 3-4" over to one side and get more previous wall storage space on the other side.

I assume your Hull liner material is the same as something like EZ-flex carpet, trunk carpet, etc. It's so forgiving to work with. Somebody asked for a source. I got mine from upholstery_fabrics_and_more off eBay.
Nah, no flares, just curved inset panels in 1/4"ply with 1/2" curved ribs and 1" polyiso glued to the backs. Finished with Hull liner. (The curve mimics the van panels). Insetting the panels give me an extra 3" on the width of the bed cushions (27"wide) so thought it was worth the extra work.
The panels aren't glued or attached (in fact barely touch the van sheet metal) to the metal skin in the field and are attached on the perimeter only with color matched self tappers so they can be removed if needed. Thought they may squeak, but no!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts