Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Transit Ecoboost AWD 148" Medium Roof
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Connecting to 2020 Transits upfitter switches is completely different than previous years. Disregard any videos/tutorials that are not 2020 specific. NONE of it applies to 2020 Ford Transits. The process for hooking up the powered wires via the switches is much more streamlined than previous years (i.e no battery access needed, the aux fuse panel is already supplied power so no need to hook up wires to the CCP etc)

All this info was gleaned from the incredible work of 'unkie' ( unkie ) and others on a previous thread about 2020 upfitter switches. I thought a 'quick how-to' for hooking into the wiring harnesses and which color wires are which switches would be useful. Again, through the incredible work of Unkie and others wading through the (incorrect!) BEMM, reaching out to Ford directly, getting updated SVE's from Ford because their original info was wrong, etc etc we're able to have direct easy info for hooking into the switches!

I'm a super visual person so I just took photos and made descriptions. Technical writing in the BEMM and other info in the forums turn my brain into molasses! Hope the pics can be a quick reference point for others here.

Quick note.. the 2 ground wires in the 6 pin harness (C33-H) are the only grounds to tie into. The grounds on the 43 pin connector do not work

Upfitter Photos--1.JPEG Upfitter Photos--2.JPG Upfitter Photos--2a.JPG Upfitter Photos--3.JPG Upfitter Photos--4.JPG Upfitter Photos--5.JPG Upfitter Photos--7.JPG Upfitter Photos--8.JPG Upfitter Photos--8a.JPEG Upfitter Photos 9.JPG

·
Registered
2020 HR LWB, 3.5 ECO, 3.73. Conversion complete?
48 Posts
Great write-up with pics. Very helpful. So, what is your application for the for up fitter switches? How are you using them outside of your house switches?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is amazing, thank you!
Totally welcome! I've gained SO much knowledge from sites like these and youtube etc, I'm thrilled to maybe finally be able to give back in a small way hehe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write-up with pics. Very helpful. So, what is your application for the for up fitter switches? How are you using them outside of your house switches?
Thanks! Most likely for lights off the back of the van for working when it's dark, LED lights inside (controllable separately from the demon-posessed interior LED lights Ford installed), maybe an inverter, etc. But honestly I don't know (yet) haha. I'm a carpenter and bought the van for my remodeling biz. The van came with the Upfitter package already (I didn't order it). Getting the switches fired up was appealing because they're there and available (irresistible challenge to someone like me). Kind of like they say about Mt Everest.. why do you want to climb it? Because it's there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great job, and thank you VERY much! I've ordered a van, which I should get in mid December. I'm planning on installing a light bar in the front, a smaller bar in the rear, and some 4in spots on the sides. The upfitter switches will work perfectly!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Connecting to 2020 Transits upfitter switches is completely different than previous years. Disregard any videos/tutorials that are not 2020 specific. NONE of it applies to 2020 Ford Transits. The process for hooking up the powered wires via the switches is much more streamlined than previous years (i.e no battery access needed, the aux fuse panel is already supplied power so no need to hook up wires to the CCP etc)

All this info was gleaned from the incredible work of 'unkie' ( unkie ) and others on a previous thread about 2020 upfitter switches. I thought a 'quick how-to' for hooking into the wiring harnesses and which color wires are which switches would be useful. Again, through the incredible work of Unkie and others wading through the (incorrect!) BEMM, reaching out to Ford directly, getting updated SVE's from Ford because their original info was wrong, etc etc we're able to have direct easy info for hooking into the switches!

I'm a super visual person so I just took photos and made descriptions. Technical writing in the BEMM and other info in the forums turn my brain into molasses! Hope the pics can be a quick reference point for others here.

Quick note.. the 2 ground wires in the 6 pin harness (C33-H) are the only grounds to tie into. The grounds on the 43 pin connector do not work

View attachment 143054 View attachment 143055 View attachment 143056 View attachment 143057 View attachment 143058 View attachment 143059 View attachment 143060 View attachment 143061 View attachment 143062 View attachment 143095

This is a great resource! Thanks for putting this together! It is much appreciated. One quick question - Since the grounds on the 43 pin connector do not work, how did you go about grounding those two upfitter switches?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Totally welcome!

From what I understand the two grounds on the C33-H (6 pin connector) are the grounds to be used (for everything)?. There’s also obv multiple ground points to tie into throughout the van

This is a great resource! Thanks for putting this together! It is much appreciated. One quick question - Since the grounds on the 43 pin connector do not work, how did you go about grounding those two upfitter switches?

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is awesome!!! I would be interested to see how you connected your LED house lights... as I am doing the same and am a bit of a novice at it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey all I am finally getting around to attempting to install some accessories. I'm trying to use the 40 watt for a small in cabin heater for when the ignition is running. So I was going to use auxiliary three which should be 40 amp, the yellow with orange wire. I was set and excited to do it after reading all of these comments and understanding the system, however my orange with yellow wire is hot always. By always I mean it has nothing to do with the switches or the ignition. It just always has full power.
What's the deal with that?!

The 20a switch works in the 43p connector. Also note the black and yellows that were in the 6 pin connector with the thick 40 amp wires were not grounded.

Third note, I ordered my van with the upfitter switches however they did not install them at the factory, it was an error. They were then installed at the dealer a few weeks later. I'm certain they could have screwed that up somehow

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 143054 View attachment 143055 View attachment 143056 View attachment 143057 View attachment 143058 View attachment 143059 View attachment 143060 View attachment 143061 View attachment 143062 View attachment 143095
DO you know what switch on the 2020 is hot only on engine run? The BEMM says aux4, but the BEMM has been wrong about a lot of stuff with these. I will pin out when I get in there, but that is the one I'm looking for, and if you happen to know it would help. Cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
DO you know what switch on the 2020 is hot only on engine run? The BEMM says aux4, but the BEMM has been wrong about a lot of stuff with these. I will pin out when I get in there, but that is the one I'm looking for, and if you happen to know it would help. Cheers.
So I originally wanted to hook up my heater to the engine run only switch. But in testing, both of the 40 amp sized wires were active whenever the ignition was turned on regardless of whether or not the engine was running. So it's a mystery to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I originally wanted to hook up my heater to the engine run only switch. But in testing, both of the 40 amp sized wires were active whenever the ignition was turned on regardless of whether or not the engine was running. So it's a mystery to me.
Yup, I just went and tested this. I can confirm that on my 2020 all 4 switches were powered on ignition. I did not have any engine run only switches?!?!? I cannot believe how wrong the BEMM has been about almost everything to do with these switches. Anyone else having issues with this? Or figure out how to fix it?

·
Registered
2020 350 AWD 148 HR CREW
73 Posts
Thanks! Most likely for lights off the back of the van for working when it's dark, LED lights inside (controllable separately from the demon-posessed interior LED lights Ford installed), maybe an inverter, etc. But honestly I don't know (yet) haha. I'm a carpenter and bought the van for my remodeling biz. The van came with the Upfitter package already (I didn't order it). Getting the switches fired up was appealing because they're there and available (irresistible challenge to someone like me). Kind of like they say about Mt Everest.. why do you want to climb it? Because it's there!
Dave. Thanks for the well illustrated write up on the upfitter switches! Got a question for You. I’m planning to install an inverter to charge my all-in -one house power system while driving. I’m using the Bluetti 200P. I’m assuming that I will want to utilize the AUX 4 switch since it’s a run only switch correct? If so, where do I wire the invert to? I’m a newbie to all this. So any assistance would be greatly appreciate!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dave. Thanks for the well illustrated write up on the upfitter switches! Got a question for You. I’m planning to install an inverter to charge my all-in -one house power system while driving. I’m using the Bluetti 200P. I’m assuming that I will want to utilize the AUX 4 switch since it’s a run only switch correct? If so, where do I wire the invert to? I’m a newbie to all this. So any assistance would be greatly appreciate!
Sounds like the run only feature is not real. The number of us have confirmed that for all of us it's ignition switch on only. No switches are run only.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Been watching and learning. Thank you very much for putting this together. I am planning to hook up my webasto heater to one of the aux switches until I get my secondary electrical system in. I have the dual battery setup. Will probably put it on 4.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts