Ford Transit USA Forum banner

USB port not working

33K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  carbonized 
#1 ·
Is there a way to fix or replace the USB port that's connected to the stereo?

#17 ·
Try soft reset first, before taking it to the dealership where they don’t know jack. Push the scroll up button and the power button at the same time and hold it until the screen goes black release both buttons and wait for the screen to come back up again and then plug your phone back in and it should work.

#3 ·
Atlas,

I have a 2020 Transit and the USB port has gone out three times! The dealer replaced it twice and I now need to take it in again. What's even crazier is the port above the steering wheel on the dash was smoking the first time we took it in. They still don't know why. It would get really hot when the stereo port was in use. They keep trying to tell me it is the cord I am using but I've tried several cords (Apples cord, Anker, etc.) its still happening. Im concerned.

#10 · (Edited)
Only 100 miles on my 2021 AWD and neither USB port seems to be working after trying a couple different cords that we know work fine. How hard can this be in the 21st century?
I should clarify that it doesn’t charge my iPhone, makes the lightning bolt flash a couple times and then starts to drain the iPhone battery, exactly opposite of what I need. I don’t really know if communication or what ever else USB ports and cords do functions. I just need charging feature.

#11 ·
Only 100 miles on my 2021 AWD and neither USB port seems to be working after trying a couple different cords that we know work fine. How hard can this be in the 21st century?
I should clarify that it doesn’t charge my iPhone, makes the lightning bolt flash a couple times and then starts to drain the iPhone battery, exactly opposite of what I need. I don’t really know if communication or what ever else USB ports and cords do functions. I just need charging feature.
My ‘15 long tall extended tranny has always done the same thing… charges the van battery from the iPhone battery.

I bought a cigarette port charging thingamajigger at the Apple store that has two usb receptacles in it. It works fine when plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
I've had a single cable issue with my 2020 in the 16mo we've owned it.

I started the van and then plugged the cable into the USB port behind the cup holders. I immediately noticed the phone didn't jump the SYNC 3 into CarPlay and the little green LED on the cable (aftermarket with magnetic coupling) wasn't lit as usual. I wiggled the connectors a little bit and got nothing so moved the cable to the USB port on the top dash cubby and it worked fine. I assumed the dangling end of the cable was magnetically stuck to my seat base just right that it shorted when I plugged it in.

Next van start on return home I tried the cup holder USB port and it lit up and worked fine.

I do keep a stubby USB adapter that plugs into the 12V lighter plug behind the cup holder as well, though that's for passengers / if I want to charge my phone without CarPlay kicking on.

#16 ·
The 30-minute timer can be adjusted in Forscan.

One of the reasons I advocate for the aftermarket adapters is that every new phone has a different "fast charge" ability and only a new adapter will take advantage of the. Meanwhile, new devices often charge slower on the old chargers as they change the charge-rate versus battery-longevity balance.

#18 ·
Try soft reset first, before taking it to the dealership where they don’t know jack. Push the scroll up button and the power button at the same time and hold it until the screen goes black release both buttons and wait for the screen to come back up again and then plug your phone back in and it should work.

#19 ·
Just to add to the list of people with issues. My USB/Sync3 port is intermittent causing Android Auto to crash. I even switched to using a wireless android auto adapter and a cigarette lighter charger, but it still has the same problem. I tried to have Ford look at it back in March but they told me it wasn't the car and that I needed to contact my Samsung or Google. Well I've done that for months and we've determined that the connector/cable is bad as it is worse on bumpy roads, and basically not usable on the washboards in the desert.

#20 ·
If anyone knows the part number for the port / cable (between the head-unit and the dash), I'd love to make sure that Ford has one in-stock before the service appointment on Thursday. I don't want them telling me that I'll have to come back to have it installed as I won't be back in this area for a month.

#23 ·
Not sure but my USB ports stopped working. Took it to Ford. They said the cable that runs from the ports to media hub was corroded and needed to be replaced and estimator parts + labor $280. Ouch. But I’m thinking it was just a loose cable because it’s been working fine since so I cancelled the order.

#25 ·
Modern apple chargers pull pretty hard for a normal or even faster auto USB plug to be useful.

Many of the ones on amazon burn out. (as mentioned in the reviews)

My current suggestion to customers charging apple products is to use the 120 vac from their inverter and the original 120 vac charger that comes from apple to charge.

#26 ·
My current suggestion to customers charging apple products is to use the 120 vac from their inverter and the original 120 vac charger that comes from apple to charge.
Even some USB/USB-C chargers produce really dirty power. Some engineer at Google used to keep a list of tested chargers/cables that met USB spec, which had more that failed than passed iirc.

#30 ·
I have the issue where my USB ports and the 12v sockets only slow charge now, to the point that my phone doesn't actually charge at all when plugged in to any of them. I have tried different cords and phones so I know the issue is the van. I changed fuses # 23 and 24 on the drivers side but it didn't help. Think I might have to pull the van apart to check the wiring behind.

#31 ·
I have the same issue with my USB port, Kaput! And my phone is not recognized by SYNC anymore it will connect for a few seconds and drops out. Is there a fuse for the USB port ? I cannot see one in the book. Anyone knows what version of SYNC is in a 2016?

#33 ·
For that kind of money you should have a life time replacement membership. Take it back to the stealership. There are gremlins in our center consoles. Mine hasn't worked for month and Sync has been on strike as well for a long time, then, 2 weeks ago my wife calls me and the van picked it up???? Next call.... nothing. My rear view camera also started acting up, one time out of three or four "reverse" I get the message "rear camera unavailable" . These intermittent gremlins are really hard to trace for an electrical engineer never mind your regular dealership technician. I think somewhere there is a small circuit board or chip slowly giving up the ghost.