Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Has anyone bought a van (likely a new 2019 or 2020 Ford Transit) and eventually imported it into Canada?

I have read various web sites and Canadian government websites and they all pretty much relate just to cars. For example under FORD only cars are listed on the Canadian government website.

and I know I can call a Canadian government office.... but may be very tough to actually get a human on the phone, and they may not know...

thanks for any thoughts.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,869 Posts
I've done this both ways, I imported a motorcycle into Canada many years ago then imported a car into the US several years later.

I would have to wonder why you want to do that. Transits are significantly cheaper in Canada.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles maintains a list of what vehicles can be imported. The Transit is on that list with a few restrictions. Make sure you get the Electronic Ignition Immobilizer (Securilock) and the Daytime Running Lights.

The regular Transit passenger van with 10 or less seats is in section 5.4 . More than 10 seats makes it a Bus (Non School Use) and that is section 6. Cargo vans with a GVWR of less than 9980 pounds are in Section 12. Cargo vans with GVWR over 9980 are not on the list. The 10,000 pound GVWR is a limit for many things, like commercial versus passenger registration, weight ratings for parkways and skyway, etc. When I ordered my T350HD I paid the extra option to have the GVWR below 10,000 (9950) .

But again, if you know you are going to go to Canada I'd just buy it there since it is so much cheaper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the awesome info!!

Living in USA now. Want the van now.

May move to Canada someday. Maybe.

?

Good to know about . Make sure you get the Electronic Ignition Immobilizer (Securilock) and the Daytime Running Lights.

I've done this both ways, I imported a motorcycle into Canada many years ago then imported a car into the US several years later.

I would have to wonder why you want to do that. Transits are significantly cheaper in Canada.

The Registrar of Imported Vehicles maintains a list of what vehicles can be imported. The Transit is on that list with a few restrictions. Make sure you get the Electronic Ignition Immobilizer (Securilock) and the Daytime Running Lights.

The regular Transit passenger van with 10 or less seats is in section 5.4 . More than 10 seats makes it a Bus (Non School Use) and that is section 6. Cargo vans with a GVWR of less than 9980 pounds are in Section 12. Cargo vans with GVWR over 9980 are not on the list. The 10,000 pound GVWR is a limit for many things, like commercial versus passenger registration, weight ratings for parkways and skyway, etc. When I ordered my T350HD I paid the extra option to have the GVWR below 10,000 (9950) .

But again, if you know you are going to go to Canada I'd just buy it there since it is so much cheaper.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I second what GapRunr is saying. Transits do seem to be significantly cheaper here in Canada. You definitely need the daytime running lights as your vehicle will be inspected before you can insure / register it and that is one of the things they will check. I’m pretty sure your speedo has to show Kms as well. In the past I know you could get away with putting km stickers on the speedo. Not sure if that is still the case.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
To get the Daytime Running Lamps in a USA Transit, it has to be ordered as a FLEET vehicle. You can get it changed later by replacing the switch and some wiring changes but you can't get it straight from the dealer.

The rental fleets can get them and usually do that as they may end up in Canada. For them, they feel it is a safety feature and that is another reason they order it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Most of my MIganders who moved to Canada just installed a pair of fog lamps hard wired, they passed inspection for DLR.

Why are transits cheaper in Canada? exchange rate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Daytime running lights will save you 10% on your insurance in some states. Can't imagine why it wouldn't be standard.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of my MIganders who moved to Canada just installed a pair of fog lamps hard wired, they passed inspection for DLR.

Why are transits cheaper in Canada? exchange rate?
Cool info... I'll check on it of course.

and curious as to why Transits are cheaper in Canada. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts