Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tongue weight capacity is 300 lbs as per my Transit based motorhome chassis manual. But if I install a bike carrier on the hitch, it sticks out past where a ball hitch would be. How do I calculate the reduced carrying capacity caused by the distance between the receiver and where the load is being carried? The carrier is 150 lbs and the bikes are 84 lbs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Short answer: You're fine.

Tongue weight is for a trailer that will dynamically increase weight on the hitch when braking. This scenario does not occur with a bike rack and as such you can carry substantially more load than the "tongue weight capacity" for towing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info

Short answer: You're fine.

Tongue weight is for a trailer that will dynamically increase weight on the hitch when braking. This scenario does not occur with a bike rack and as such you can carry substantially more load than the "tongue weight capacity" for towing.

So the tongue weight max is actually a guideline for a towing scenario? For example, if you are towing 2000 lbs, there should be 200 lbs of that load on the tongue. In the case of this chassis and motorhome, the max is 3000 lbs towing and therefore max tongue weight of 300 lbs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
So the tongue weight max is actually a guideline for a towing scenario? For example, if you are towing 2000 lbs, there should be 200 lbs of that load on the tongue. In the case of this chassis and motorhome, the max is 3000 lbs towing and therefore max tongue weight of 300 lbs.
Yes, It's more about the balance of the trailer than the actual downward force the hitch can bear. If the big trailer was pitched forward (resulting in a large tongue weight) it can cause the front wheels to lift and thats the big problem

I cant think of what you would have to do to detach the hitch/receiver - a LOT of load.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the carrier I bought

Yes, It's more about the balance of the trailer than the actual downward force the hitch can bear. If the big trailer was pitched forward (resulting in a large tongue weight) it can cause the front wheels to lift and thats the big problem

I cant think of what you would have to do to detach the hitch/receiver - a LOT of load.

http://komocreation.com/en/coffre/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts