Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent some time this afternoon taking a closer look at the sources for water leaks above the air filter box, electrical connections and engine components of the 2017 Transit Van. I have included several photos and a brief description of what I found.

Leaks Above Air Filter Box and Electrical Connections

Water from the windshield flows around the end of the cowl panel grille and over the cowl panel grille as indicated by the blue downward arrows. The water flowing around the end of the cowl panel grille and through the cowl panel grille drain hole enters the water diverter. (Photo 1)

Water "should" exit the underhood water diverter via the outboard end of the diverter into the sheet metal tab behind the hood hinge as indicated by the blue arrow. (Photo 2a)

If the outboard end of the water diverter is obstructed, if water enters the water diverter faster than water can exit via the outboard end or if the van is sloped in any direction the water can overflow the water diverter on to the air filter box at the yellow arrows. (Photo 2a)

Water can overflow on to the electrical connections on the opposite side in the same manner. (Photo 2b)

Leaks Above Engine Components

Most water runs down the windshield over the cowl panel grille and into the basin of the cowl panel grille as indicated by the blue arrows. However, water can seep behind the cowl panel grille as indicated by the yellow arrows. (Photo 3)

The water that seeps behind the cowl panel grille can drip down on the engine components at various locations as indicated by the yellow downward arrow. (Photo 4 and Photo 5)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
ya i have the drips on the center of engine. very very annoying. can't be good for water to seep around the valleys of the head/block

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ford... where quality is job one!

(Their laughable advertising slogan from a few decades ago.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sad to see this. I'm considering a move from Promaster to Transit - this being one of the reasons. You get water all over the engine in any kind of rain. Been a problem for years that RAM won't or can't fix. Oh well...

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Don't let the water issue be a deal breaker. It's easy to prevent any water damage. and Ford "fixed" the airbox issue with a redesigned airbox for 2019.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
418 Posts
I feel the dripping on the engine is a greater concern for Transits that aren't driven regularly. I use a plastic "engine poncho" and rubber bolt well plugs during idle peroids. Obviously I place them after the engine has cooled and is dry. Removing them is simple. When I raise the hood to disconnect the battery tender I pull the plastic and the plugs.

When we are traveling and driving regularly I don't bother with them. They're just cheap and easy precautions for peace of mind during idle periods. The plastic dishpan on the air filter box seen in the photo stays in place at all times.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
It's TRUE, parked vans in the rain will get a lot more water under the hood.
Because driving blows most of the water back over the top instead of letting it run down the windshield.

Reactions: mikeehlert

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's TRUE, parked vans in the rain will get a lot more water under the hood.
Because driving blows most of the water back over the top instead of letting it run down the windshield.
During certain seasons I get a lot of tree debris compounded by sudden heavy rainfall from thunderstroms. Keeping the small cross sections of the cowl windshield drains unobstructed during idle periods can be a daily challenge. Cutting a couple of drain mats from heavy duty 3M finishing pads keeps an open drain network preventing obstruction of the underhood diverter drain channel and overflow. These cut to fit pads are not attached so they can be cleaned with a couple of slaps against the palm and are just lifted out and stowed prior to driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
That cowl gutter just to lower the wipers is really a dumb design. I have a '17 3500 based RV that is in storage much of the time. I just brought it home to wash and wax. After washing, the gutter was full of water not draining. It took me a bit to discover that the drains were plugged up with dirt. Once I cleared them with a wire, the water seemed to drain through OK. I'm going to watch for other drain issues from now on based on this thread. But, really dumb design.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That cowl gutter just to lower the wipers is really a dumb design. I have a '17 3500 based RV that is in storage much of the time. I just brought it home to wash and wax. After washing, the gutter was full of water not draining. It took me a bit to discover that the drains were plugged up with dirt. Once I cleared them with a wire, the water seemed to drain through OK. I'm going to watch for other drain issues from now on based on this thread. But, really dumb design.
Also, because of that design water can get in under the hood and lay on top of the engine filling those bolt holes that you can see when you look down on it. Usually not a problem on a daily driver because air moving through there dries things out. But I too have an RV based on the Transit 350HD chassis and it is parked quite a bit. I have heard from other Transit RV owners some bad stories about that. Such as two different guys who had to have intake manifolds removed. A couple of the bolts snapped off because of water laying in that little reservoir and the resulting corrosion. Now a big repair bill ! Many RV owners (including me) now cover the top of the engine with a piece of plastic while parked to keep those spots dry. ... :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got my 2020 Transit. I found the water leaking issue is still not resolved by Ford. After rain I checked the parts under hood and found water all over the wire hub connector at driver side, and the some water on the intake air hood cover. Obviously Ford does not want to resolve the problem if this issue has been reported to Ford.

I am wondering how you guys resolve the problem by yourself. Since I am new here, and I searched the forum and didn't find anyone post a detailed resolution.

I carefully checked the water leaking issue, and found most water went under the hood from the hole of rain wiper base, and the windshield glass. It is hard to completely block rain water without a factor redesign.

I am in Louisiana and there are a lot of rains here. I now regret buying this crap. Ford totally sucks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Its also worth checking for a rubber grommet on the shaft of the wiper assembly (driver's side) which goes into the cowl panel. I have a late 2019 and the factory didn't even install the rubber grommet which helps keep water out of the engine bay. Believe there was a bulletin on this as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Its also worth checking for a rubber grommet on the shaft of the wiper assembly (driver's side) which goes into the cowl panel. I have a late 2019 and the factory didn't even install the rubber grommet which helps keep water out of the engine bay. Believe there was a bulletin on this as well.
I checked mine carefully and found mine also missed the rubber grommet on the driver side. I watched several Youtube videos and found they all have the rubber grommet installed. How Ford employee did his/her job?! and Ford has no a final step inspection?!

Think about if Ford employee forgot to put a small part in the engine or the transmission you are not surprised that some owners has premature engine or transmission failures. And Ford has no a final step inspection before its vehicles be delivered to dealers. I really regret buying this van now!

Did you contact Ford to get the missed rubber grommet? Or where to buy it? I bought it brand new, and it never leave my parking lot yet since I drove it home from dealer. I am waiting for the arrival of my shelving/racks.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,089 Posts
There was a technical service bulletin. I took 13 seconds of my life and searched for it on Google and found it. It states that only the low roof has the grommet and the TSB applies only to vehicles built before 24-jul-2018. I then checked the parts fiche for the 2019 and 2020 Transit and was unable to find the grommet as a part on the mid roof or high roof models. I'm not convinced there should be one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There was a technical service bulletin. I took 13 seconds of my life and searched for it on Google and found it. It states that only the low roof has the grommet and the TSB applies only to vehicles built before 24-jul-2018. I then checked the parts fiche for the 2019 and 2020 Transit and was unable to find the grommet as a part on the mid roof or high roof models. I'm not convinced there should be one.
Thank you for your time. How some versions have and some do not have the rubber grommets since all the designs almost are identical. Mine is 2020 Transit 250, low roof, 130 wb. It should has the rubber grommets. I also searched online but didn't find any part number for it. What a crappy company!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reactions: ranxerox
1 - 20 of 34 Posts