Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just sold my 1999 E250, which I bought new and used as a carpenter. It only had 122,000 miles, ran great, but was rusting away. I now have a 2017 15 passenger transit van that I want to use for travel and work. Hopefully in that order, but you can’t have the first without the second... my first question is what is under the factory vinyl floor other than the the seat attaching hardware? Are the heat ducts there as well or are they under the steel floor? Also, would I be better off removing the headliner and wall paneling and starting from the vehicle frame? I think I’ll have a lot more questions coming, so thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
As part of the passenger van raised floor, you have the floor mounting brackets mounted to the metal floor and there are air ducts within the floor that carry the heat through the flooring under each seat. When you remove the flooring, you will end up with the heat coming out from under the passenger seat just like ordering a cargo van with the Rear A/C option.

Is the 15 passenger van you purchased a LR, MR, or HR model? Removing the roof panel will cause you to lose the directive air flow within the van. The LR directs the air from the center part of the van but the MR & HR models direct the air from each side of the van for better air movement from side to side.

Removing the factory flooring will give you about 2" of extra height and about the same area removing the roof panel. If you remove the upper side panels, that would cause you to lose the support for the roof panels. So what you decide to do with the side trim panels may determine what happens with the roof panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts