Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: sleboa and DennisV

· Registered
160 Posts
The data are expected to show whether rail cars loaded with autos are sitting idle while rail cars loaded with oil, coal or other profitable commodities are moving toward their destinations.
Now, if they meant to say "other more profitable commodities", then... DUH, no **** surprise there. Last I checked, railroads are a business, and want to make money, and thus will go for customers that will pay more.

Fortunately the railroads aren't run by the government, yet. But I'm sure there's some rules in there somewhere that says they have to play nice and accept everyone, even if they can't pay (as much).

· Registered
93 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, if it is let me know and I will move it. I was racing this weekend (24 hours of Lemons) and a Russian team mate of mine is a car hauler in his real life. He has a Big pick up and a a wedge trailer. I commented to him that there might be a great market opportunity for him and he should contact Ford. He should be able to get 2 vans on his trailer we figure. (he had 7 fiat 500 on last week lol) He said he actually tried that approach with Ford, but they wont pay enough to even cover his costs, let along make a living. He also commented that a Run from KC to the chicago area would be profitable at 2k so I wonder what fomco is actually willing to pay. lol

· Registered
129 Posts
It's not just the auto industry that's not getting rail service. My brother-in-law is a farmer in Minnesota and told me they have same problem getting their harvest moved. The problem really stems from the government dragging their feet on approving the new oil pipeline to move all this new oil. So now it has to go by rail at premium prices.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

· Registered
2,928 Posts
If you go back to one of the first articles about the NEW rail car that was made to carry the medium and high roof Transits, it is basically a 2 level rail car that can be changed to haul these Transits on the lower level and small cars like the Focus on the upper level. These were in short supply and when sent out from the Kansas City plant may take them up to a month to get back to the plant to reload. When they saw that a lot of orders were going to be the 2 highest roof lines, they went to the 500 mile truck delivery system.

My friend in Florida is changing his delivery on his Transit to the Midway Truck Center in Kansas City, MO so he can get it faster. Figures it will take at least a month or longer to get his Transit once it is built.

· Registered
2,491 Posts
The railroads have started filing reports, although wading through them brings up the old adage, "be careful what you wish for, or you may surely get it!"

A cascade of data waiting to be summarized and analyzed IMO.

The Union Pacific report from Wed. 10/22 has at least one "we are checking on this" note for an automotive line item.

Surface Transportation Board Filing

Open the PDF and see the line item for 4. . . . Dwell Time Automotive in the middle of p. 3/6: "Under Development."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.