Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Two Extra Keys From Factory a Steal!

61K views 128 replies 32 participants last post by  EddieOckenden 
#1 ·
I got them, it was like $75 for a total of four all with PATS chip and FOB.
I wanted a key only w/o chip or fob to carry as a thin light spare since I plan on deliberately locking the key in the van for certain events and rely instead on the keyless entry system working properly. I'd carry or hide the simple one just in case the keypad fails or is vandalized.
Dealer has the laser key cutter but can only do completes....$245 each!
Locksmith with laser cutter can do it.....for $100 door opening key only. But for $30 he'll throw one in if a real one is made by him for $250!
He said his laser cutter cost $10,000, I think he got screwed. The dealer said they paid $8000 for theirs.
I'll just trust that my keypad never fails me. It does pry right off with a razor though, it's just stuck on with adhesive.

#2 ·
Yeah, that was an option that the dealer checked while I was sitting there without even asking me. He said "trust me, these are really a good deal". Looks like he was right.
Here's an idea. Could you put a second keyless entry pad on the van keyed to the same code? Then you'd have a backup way to get in and those keyless pads aren't very expensive.

Reactions: Longboard
#3 ·
Here's an idea. Could you put a second keyless entry pad on the van keyed to the same code? Then you'd have a backup way to get in and those keyless pads aren't very expensive.
Great idea! I could even make it hidden for back up use only. Way cheaper than the $100 non- chipped key.

#7 ·
Remember when Palm Pilots had the IR capability and could easily open cars using it rather than RF?

#10 · (Edited)
I like that multiple key pad idea. But having a hidden real key outside the vehicle may be important still.....what if the battery goes dead for some reason! How you gonna open the hood to jump the thing?
I'll probably hide one inside in case I lose the key and the exterior hidden one is gone.

#11 ·
I like that multiple key pad idea. But having a hidden real key outside the vehicle may be important still....what if the battery goes dead for some reason! How you gonna open the hood to jump the thing?
I'll probably hide one inside in case I lose the key and the exterior hidden one is gone.
Take a look at the top front of the driver's door. A place for an egg.

#17 ·
Great forum here, and some great info.

after seeing this thread, I seriously pondered adding this option to my order.

its a good deal, but I think we will be fine with the standard 2 keys and fobs.

#18 ·
Until you lose one or drop it down a grate! $250 to replace vs $40 each for the third and fourth at time of purchase.

#19 ·
We own a fleet of vans, I've been driving my current van for 13 years. Never lost or needed to use the spare key. Not sure why I need another 2 extra for a total of 3 spares.

Guess I will take my chances.....

Reactions: Longboard
#20 · (Edited)
"Check Owners guide "Locks and Security" for maximum remote entry transmitters allowed, and proper key positions"

Since I already have five including the keypad I better figure this one out before purchasing one for the slider and rear.

#21 ·
I still think the four keys and a pad were a good idea, and if the system can handle two more pads I'll be delighted, but I just came to the realization that I wasted some $ on PATS and perimeter alarm because if I plan on keeping a chipped key hidden inside both systems are defeated. Oh well.

#28 ·
I just realized that having a key cut w/o FOB to hide if vehicle battery was dead would be useless. The lock is still not mechanical, you twist the key and it electrically unlocks the doors.

#34 ·
Rear has no keyhole.

#33 ·
The owner's manual seems to imply that only coded keys can be used to open a door (not just a mechanical key) IMO, but is silent on what happens with a dead battery:

"If your keys are lost or stolen and you do not have a spare correctly coded key, you will need to have your vehicle towed to an authorized dealer. You need to erase the coded keys from your vehicle and program new coded keys."

In the middle of the right column here:

Passive Anti-theft System - Ford TRANSIT 2015 Owner's Manual [Page 62]

The sections on jump starting and the battery are not much help:

Jump Starting The Vehicle - Ford TRANSIT 2015 Owner's Manual [Page 181]

Changing The 12v Battery - Ford TRANSIT 2015 Owner's Manual [Page 216]

#36 ·
"If your keys are lost or stolen and you do not have a spare correctly coded key, you will need to have your vehicle towed to an authorized dealer. You need to erase the coded keys from your vehicle and program new coded keys."

In the middle of the right column here:

Passive Anti-theft System - Ford TRANSIT 2015 Owner's Manual [Page 62]
Yes, but PATS is an option, as is perimeter security. I have both. I wonder if having PATS is what makes door key operations electronic rather than mechanical?

#37 ·
I successfully programmed my two extra keyless entry pads today, all 7 transmitters work.

Reactions: NetDoc
#42 ·
The locks on my front doors are mechanical. I can watch the knob go up slowly if I turn the key slowly. I had my local locksmith make a key for $30 in case I lock myself out. He can add a chip to the key & program it to start the engine for $50 more, but I just wanted a key to unlock the doors. I don't have the security system.

Are the keypads you got basically just key fobs that mount on the door & you enter a code to get in?

#43 ·
Yes, self adhesive pad w/ non- replaceable battery. When it dies you peel it off and replace for $85.
$30 for a laser cut key is great! Cheapest I found so far for the key only no chip is $100. Not sure it would work with my two optional systems though.

Reactions: cphvac
#46 ·
Yes, but the locksmith needs a $10,000 laser cutting machine, that's why my guy wants $100 to help pay for his machine. Still don't think it would work on at least my locks.

Reactions: PeterR
#51 ·
Great idea!
And yes, the alarm would sound, but I'd get to the hidden real key after a few horn honks . I would only use the key in emergency, I have three keyless pads.

#56 ·
Ok I have the answer. The passenger door is electric only, but the drivers door lock has a mechanical linkage.

Reactions: locman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.