Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have looked pretty hard at the flares option.

For my use, they don't really solve anything as the area that is expanded is not as useful as it could be.

The flares themselves are not super expensive, but by the time you get them installed, paint, do any insulation, etc, it is a lot of work and a lot of money for modest gain.

If they bumped out an area 4x that size, that would help, but the existing size to me isn't enough to be worth the effort.

The real issue is that (all brands) of these vans are too narrow vs they could have been the width of a full size pick up.

The same money could go a long way into an extended version van.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have looked pretty hard at the flares option.

For my use, they don't really solve anything as the area that is expanded is not as useful as it could be.

The flares themselves are not super expensive, but by the time you get them installed, paint, do any insulation, etc, it is a lot of work and a lot of money for modest gain.

If they bumped out an area 4x that size, that would help, but the existing size to me isn't enough to be worth the effort.

The real issue is that (all brands) of these vans are too narrow vs they could have been the width of a full size pick up.

The same money could go a long way into an extended version van.
it's true. I don't quite understand why they don't go wider on the flares (especially the drivers side, as there's no restriction from the sliding door) Feels like you could bump it out at least as far as the mirror for basically the same cost / complexity.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would only consider the CCV poptop if I needed to sleep 4. It's an expensive way to garner headroom that is included with a high roof.
I ended up with a short, MR, CCV poptop. Exterior height with stock tires and no lift is about 9' 1". For us, it was the best way to have a spacious downstairs lounge area and bike/cargo storage, but not have to get the extended for the floorspace. By going short (bumper to bumper), it fits in our garage. FWIW, if garage parking wasn't an option, I'd just go extended high roof with no pop top--maybe slightly more awkward to drive/park, and looks more like an RV, but cheaper and easier build.

When not camping, I have the bed panels stored in our basement. In that config, it has as much or more headroom than a high roof--very spacious. With the bed panels in, there is about 5'11" headroom under the bed in the MR to my finished floor.

I like the short wb, non-extended while driving and maneuvering...it is like a slightly taller subaru. And, I like having a couch (and secondary bed) downstairs along with the very nice loft bed. When camping in cold weather, we'll use the downstairs bed and keep the top down to help keep it warmer inside.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For N-S bed orientation, fold down is a good option. I opted for no overhead storage on the bed side and it folds right up to the ceiling. It's mounted on a cabinet, about counter height and when deployed rests on my almost full length countertop on the other side.

My setup is for one, but you could have a fold down on both sides that meets in the middle. That way there's no question who's hogging the bed!

I think Dave (Orton) may have done this if memory serves.

·
Registered
2018 T250 EWB HR
3 Posts
Parking in a 2018 T250 EWB, HR: I drive 250-300 miles every day (over 5000/monthly) throughout Los Angeles and surrounding counties making many stops each day in a mix of commercial and residential areas. I almost never have any issue with parking anywhere. In large stores, supermarkets or Wal-Marts , Home Depot etc with nose in I just pull in about 1 foot extra and fit no problem. In many cases in those locations I can take a double space but it really is not needed. As noted by others though, almost all underground parking and drive-thru access is not feasible being the only trade off but I just park in the regular spaces instead. I would suggest that the extra space with the length and height is more than worth any possible trade off for an occasional minor parking inconvenience. Personally I would never go shorter ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would suggest that the extra space with the length and height is more than worth any possible trade off for an occasional minor parking inconvenience. Personally I would never go shorter ....
Can you fit in the car section at rest stops? Or do you need to park with trucks and RVs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Parking in a 2018 T250 EWB, HR: I drive 250-300 miles every day (over 5000/monthly) throughout Los Angeles and surrounding counties making many stops each day in a mix of commercial and residential areas. I almost never have any issue with parking anywhere. In large stores, supermarkets or Wal-Marts , Home Depot etc with nose in I just pull in about 1 foot extra and fit no problem. In many cases in those locations I can take a double space but it really is not needed. As noted by others though, almost all underground parking and drive-thru access is not feasible being the only trade off but I just park in the regular spaces instead. I would suggest that the extra space with the length and height is more than worth any possible trade off for an occasional minor parking inconvenience. Personally I would never go shorter ....
I assume you mean Extended Length (EL)? If so, this is what I hope to experience.
Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sprinter 170 for four years now; a foot longer than the EL Transit. Many miles of travel; not a daily driver. Bit tough to parallel park; but it's do-able with a few extra feet. Definitely no under-ground parking. Haven't encountered bridge issues - but we're western US. Only once had a camp host classify us as an RV; but that worked out fine. Usually not in camp-grounds, so don't much care. Not a single problem driving it into over a dozen national parks. Bed is front-back orientation (head at back). Pretty RV-ish build inside but with a porta-potti. Garage (under bed) used for bikes, boards, crash-pads, and other gear; that's critical space.

So... after all that... Extended High-Roof Transit should be delivered in a month or less? Wouldn't go smaller. Lots of living space for two; tight but do-able with four if we get cozy. Considered the flares; but doing an electric raise/lower bed for the garage space, so wouldn't work as well with flares.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts