Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for low mileage Transit high top can be older or have body damage. I wish to make this into a van build.
So technically it's not true I am a Van Virgin but this was almost half a century ago, and they were just stripped out low roof Econoline vans with two seats. Most expensive Econoline I purchased was $350. This was in December of 1970... after I rolled my current Econoline 6 times in a blizzard in Colorado on Hwy 80. I was 17 yrs old, newly married & driving with my husband from Cleveland to Nor Cal... long story. But the blizzard hit & in a matter of 15 minutes every vehicle on the road was somehow disabled, including semi's. I obtained a free tow to a roadside motel/store/restaurant/diner a one stop rinky dink town. We had little money so we stayed in the super crunchy totaled van with just our sleeping bags. The main worker in the place felt sorry for us sold he sold us his garbage vehicle, another Econoline fully loaded with stinky restaurant trash. He told us where to dump the trash and I scrubbed the interior for hours.
This was the second of three Econolines with super high mileage. On the first one my BF, before we were married, showed me how with a floor jack he could disconnect the bell housing,U joints and drive shaft & drop the tranny onto his chest. So me being the super macho feminist teen female insisted on changing out the clutches & throw out bearings myselfon the next two Econlines, which all possessed a three speed shift on the column. Older Econolines were prone to rear main seal leaks, hence the oil soaked clutches that needed replacing around 150K+ miles.
Searching for low mileage Transit high top can be older or have body damage. Yes I understnd this is asking for A LOT!!! Maybe you have started the build and given up... or have a wheel chair lift in one you no longer use. The reason I desire the Ford is the 73" width, low price point & ease of getting mechanical assistance. Plus I used to own several Ford pickups. A 1951 & later a 1953. So any assistance would be appreciated as I do understand I am asking for a lot. Many Blessings for 2021, an end to the pandemic and everyones' best year yet! Please allow us to play by the Golden Rule and prosper not merely thrive. Love & light Dee

1 - 1 of 1 Posts