Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is a place to post a few pictures of my travels with our Transit.
As much as I enjoy all the technical discussions, I bought the van to go places.
So during my (still continuing) build we traveled close and far enjoying our Transit.
Hopefully others will contribute as well.

Our first trip was in mid March to the Carrizo Plain in central California between highway 101 and 5, San Luis Obispo and Bakersfield. After the plentiful winter rains California was blooming.
The bed was in, solar, fan, a light and battery working, but the fridge was still on order.
We brought our bikes and saw an amazing bloom and also the San Andreas fault on the east side of the plains.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
San Andreas Fault is something actually visible on the surface?

Yes. The fault line runs NW-SE along the east side of the plains at the foot of the Tremblor range. Small canyons running down these hills are perpendicular to the fault line. As the pacific plate moves NW-ward these canyons are 'broken' and seem to make two 90-degree corners, right then left. Wallace creek is one such Canyon easily accessible. The valley is relatively dry, so the fault-line shift is not eroded relatively to the occasional carving action by the water in the Canyon. Wiki has some great info.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrizo_Plain
A geological tour of the valley.
http://scecinfo.usc.edu/wallacecreek/guides/blm-cpna.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yep. East of poster's locale near I-5. Hard to ID from the ground. "Sore-thumb" visible from the air. It's a rift in the ground, tens of miles long. Large gulch/arroyo looking. An old dirt road crosses the rift. Misaligned by many feet. My CA Air Guard pilot liked to use the rift to "avoid radar". "Down in the weeds". The rift was useful. The Navy pukes from Lemoore NAS and the F-16 guys from Fresno did not like us operating near their bases. "Olde and slow". Photos from Yahoo!:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrSbnvC8fxZbxgAQ2dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=san+andreas+rift&fr=yfp-t

·
Registered
671 Posts
... "Sore-thumb" visible from the air. ... My CA Air Guard pilot liked to use the rift to "avoid radar". "Down in the weeds". The rift was useful. ...
Ah! Thank you! He never elaborated, but now I know why my NASA pilot did the same thing, although that was many decades ago. He ferried me between Edwards and Moffett Field on equipment and parts runs when I was a co-op (engineering apprentice) at NASA.

Cool to know!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SierraHiker, we were at Carrizo at the beginning of April and camped in that very same spot! Whatta view. Looks like the show was about the same as what we saw.

Nice! Yes, in the West side hills you can camp on most established off the road spots and there are two or three camp grounds with basic facilities. With the basic camper we opted for solitude and better views. We came back later in April after a trip further south and although it was greener, it seemed to have fewer flowers. A rainstorm cut our trip short and splattered mud over the white van on the many miles of gravel roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
San Andreas Fault is something actually visible on the surface?
google earth provides hours of entertainment.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
I hope this is a place to post a few pictures of my travels with our Transit.
As much as I enjoy all the technical discussions, I bought the van to go places.
So during my (still continuing) build we traveled close and far enjoying our Transit.
Hopefully others will contribute as well.

Our first trip was in mid March to the Carrizo Plain in central California between highway 101 and 5, San Luis Obispo and Bakersfield. After the plentiful winter rains California was blooming.
The bed was in, solar, fan, a light and battery working, but the fridge was still on order.
We brought our bikes and saw an amazing bloom and also the San Andreas fault on the east side of the plains.
Love that area! I went to school at Cal Poly SLO, so was a common drive way back when.

Ah! Thank you! He never elaborated, but now I know why my NASA pilot did the same thing, although that was many decades ago. He ferried me between Edwards and Moffett Field on equipment and parts runs when I was a co-op (engineering apprentice) at NASA.
Cool to know!
One of my favorite memories as the 11:03 AM time slot. Blackbird coming in! We were doing very sensitive noise test extracting data from below noise floor, but we would get this massive electrical pulse at 11:01 AM. Didn't make sense until we noticed our technician would walk out of the building the moment that occurred. Blackbird! SR71 for those wondering. (1983-1986)

Don't want to hijack SierraHikers thread, but fun memories.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The second trip in mid April to SE Cal started with an o/n stop at a Walmart in Bakersfield. This was a first for us, but after talking to the security guys we felt OK. Too bad the parking lot cleanup crew kept riding circles with their street sweeper. Next day to Antelope Valley enjoying the California Poppies and on across the San Gabriel mtns (Too bad hwy 2 crest rd was closed), so we sat in traffic on 210 E to get back into the San Bernadino mtns and spent the night in a public parking at Big Bear. Next day onto Joshua Tree NP were we found a spot late in the afternoon on a campground with signs 'Campsite full'. Next day an early morning hike to the 49-Palm Tree Oasis and then back north with a o/n stop in the Carrizo Plain were rain made us leave early the next day, back home. The van now had a fridge and we again enjoyed some hiking, the crazy Joshua trees, plenty beautiful flowers, cacti and views of open space in California. Still early in the year and there was a little overcast which probably kept the temperature in check.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In mid May we started the longest trip thus far, from SF Bay Area to New Orleans. An eight day trip mostly over two lane highways and aiming to hit as many new parks as possible.

Day 1: Highway (hw) 80 across California and the Sierra Nevada to Reno.
East of Reno we took hw 50 across Nevada. Now we were on new terrain. The towns in Nevada along hw 50 handout small booklets with the history and sights along the road, with option to collect stamps along the way. We realized this almost at the end, so next time.
This road, the loniest highway in the US, is also called the Lincoln hw and runs for a good part along the route of the legendary Pony Express.
We made it to just past Austin which is a little town in the middle of Nevada with plenty of churches and a few bars. We camped on BLM land east of town at Spencer Hot Springs were we shared the pools with some interesting fellow travelers. In the morning nice views of snow covered Toiyabe mountains just west.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 3 and 4 from SF to NOLA

Day 3-4
Continuing east on hw 50 we stopped in Eureka and had a blast walking around, shopping at the hardware store (always the best in these towns) and tours of the beautiful Opera house and Court house. Next, we stopped at our first National Park (NP), Big Basin NP, were we visited the cool caves. Onwards into Utah and cont to hw 50 E to hw 24 East of Scipio to a BLM campground next to Koosarem Reservoir. The next day into Capitol Reef NP, amazing vistas and rock formations, petroglyphs. From here east hw 24 with changing rock colors from red to yellow and grey to Hanksville. South on hw 95 through beautiful scenery crossing the Colorado river near Hite lookout in Glen Canyon NRA with 100+ mile views and onwards to a stop at Natural Bridges NP. Then east is again nice to Blanding, were we went N to Monticello were we camped at the Old West RV park owned by the exhibition shooter Jim Brandt. Great guy and amazing shooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 5 and 6 SF to NOLA

Day 5 brought us to some amazing old indian culture dwellings. First just east of Monticello (hw 491) we crossed into Colorado, passed Cortez and entered Mesa Verde NP and saw the Cliff Palace and Spruce Tree house. Late that same day we made it to Chaco Canyon NP (hw 160 to Durango and then south hw 550 into New Mexico). Just in time for the last campsite, lucky us. With late afternoon light we visited the Chaco Canyon ruins. In the end we were the only couple roaming around, very special. Day 6, an early morning ranger tour explained some of what we had seen. This place felt very special with amazing masonry. This culture mysteriously vanished 500 yrs ago, before European contact, no written records. Back over the many miles of dirt road to hw 550. Everthing stayed in place, but oh my it makes a racket on the washboard dirt roads. 550 E to hw 4 by the Jemez pueblo to I-285 to Santa Fe. Walked around town and after dinner went on I-25 E to a truck stop.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 94 Posts