Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I think the better observation is to understand demographics and where you fit in when planning for the big events in life. Try to get ahead of the herd on the buy side and don't be at the back of the herd on the sell side.
Sage advice from a boomer. Should I start my SSI payments now at 62 or defer them to ???
I suppose that would depend on THE big event. :eek:.
Well ...assuming the politics of paying out to the evil boomers doesn't change

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
327 Posts
Same goes for Alaska.
Seen lots of Alaska Coastal Wise , did Commercial Fishing there many years ago
but did see much of Interior, Road Trip to Alaska is For sure on my Bucket list,
maybe in a few years post Pandemic travel fever has mellowed a bit??
wishful thinking 🤔

·
Registered
887 Posts
Seen lots of Alaska Coastal Wise , did Commercial Fishing there many years ago
but did see much of Interior, Road Trip to Alaska is For sure on my Bucket list,
maybe in a few years post Pandemic travel fever has mellowed a bit??
wishful thinking 🤔
It was quiet up here in 2020 and 2021. Picking back up now though. Next year could be crazy if everyone who has put off their Alaska trip decides to come up all at once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just returned from crossing most of the U.S. (Pennsylvania to Washington's Kitsap Peninsula and back) in my Transit camper van and thought I'd post some observations.

The number of modern camper vans of all types seems like it has doubled since I made the same trip in 2021. They were everywhere, especially in the "ultra-cool" places like Bozeman.

A rough guess would be the following:
50% were Sprinters
40% were Dodge Promasters
10% were Transits

Of the Transits I did see on the road, most were the extended length, and many were towing either a car or a trailer.

Wondering how this compares to other Travelers' observations.
I was at Mt. Rainier National Park in July and the majority of Class B campers that I saw were Dodge Promasters. Sprinters were next followed by Transits.

·
Premium Member
2021 Crew Van AWD, EcoBoost, 148, HR, Adventure Package
85 Posts
I just returned from crossing most of the U.S. (Pennsylvania to Washington's Kitsap Peninsula and back) in my Transit camper van and thought I'd post some observations.

The number of modern camper vans of all types seems like it has doubled since I made the same trip in 2021. They were everywhere, especially in the "ultra-cool" places like Bozeman.

A rough guess would be the following:
50% were Sprinters
40% were Dodge Promasters
10% were Transits

Of the Transits I did see on the road, most were the extended length, and many were towing either a car or a trailer.

Wondering how this compares to other Travelers' observations.
That's curious indeed. Before we purchased, we rented a built out Promaster and test drove new Promasters, Sprinters and Transits. As far as we were concerned this was a no-brainer. The Transit won hands down. We can not be more pleased with the Transit!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just finished an 1800 mile month-long road trip from UT to Washington state and Oregon. I'd say the ratio of Sprinter-Promaster-Transit was 50-35-15 with the Sprinter and Promaster mostly being big builds. I was surprised to see so many Promasters with pop tops. I also really appreciated the Mercedes Metris pop tops that I saw, cool smaller platform. But I'd never trade my Transit for any of them.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
327 Posts
In places like that, even parents are being squeezed as crazy increasing home prices drive up their property taxes -- after years of community service as teachers, nurses, cops, etc.
Yaa same here in NW WA , chances are the new home owners have New Mercedes Sprinter
Revel parked out front (n)

·
Registered
137 Posts
In places like that, even parents are being squeezed as crazy increasing home prices drive up their property taxes -- after years of community service as teachers, nurses, cops, etc.
That is just one of the many reason I am leaving California (hoping to do so in a Transit). I was born and raised here...it used to be a beautiful state...now it is a disgusting armpit 🤮...a very insanely expensive armpit with a greasy haired governor 🤮

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't think we can count out the demographic that I am ashamedly a part of; the white collar workers who have now been freed of the need to commute into an office every day.

I can do 95% of my job from anywhere that has an internet connection, I don't own a house, I'm single and likely always will be, so why wouldn't I wander around while I'm still young(ish) and healthy? Especially now that I can do it while maintaining an income that affords me an expensive van and daily luxuries, like restaurants and paying for full service campgrounds as frequently as I want. Cell coverage is getting more ubiquitous and with the advent of Starlink's RV service, even the most desolate and remote areas can have blazing fast internet. So there's nothing holding me back (aside from Ford's eternal delays).

The down side is that yeah, I'm probably going to be adding to the crowds that will be over-running the southwest this coming summer. I've actually been trying to do van-stuff since 2019, well before the pandemic and the explosion of vans everywhere. But a series of setbacks (including having my first van stolen) have left me now part of "the crowd" who's all going to be competing for the same dozen-ish places in Death Valley this December.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't think we can count out the demographic that I am ashamedly a part of; the white collar workers who have now been freed of the need to commute into an office every day.

I can do 95% of my job from anywhere that has an internet connection, I don't own a house, I'm single and likely always will be, so why wouldn't I wander around while I'm still young(ish) and healthy? Especially now that I can do it while maintaining an income that affords me an expensive van and daily luxuries, like restaurants and paying for full service campgrounds as frequently as I want. Cell coverage is getting more ubiquitous and with the advent of Starlink's RV service, even the most desolate and remote areas can have blazing fast internet. So there's nothing holding me back (aside from Ford's eternal delays).

The down side is that yeah, I'm probably going to be adding to the crowds that will be over-running the southwest this coming summer. I've actually been trying to do van-stuff since 2019, well before the pandemic and the explosion of vans everywhere. But a series of setbacks (including having my first van stolen) have left me now part of "the crowd" who's all going to be competing for the same dozen-ish places in Death Valley this December.
Enjoy every minute of it!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts