Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
It would be interesting to know the stats on how many people are converting vans for fun/travel vs how many are forced to downsize and live full time in them? Just driving around big cities at night I see so many people sleeping in their cars…it’s just crazy.
Considering the cost of these things I don't think people are being forced. If you're that hard up you probably can't afford a $50,000 vehicle. It's simply that rent has become so outrageous that even if you can afford it why would you still pay it?
I know a young lady who's paying down her student debts while teaching HS Spanish by living out of a Chevy Express van. She can afford to rent a place but she prefers to keep her paycheck. More power to anyone who breaks out of that cycle, I say.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It would be interesting to know the stats on how many people are converting vans for fun/travel vs how many are forced to downsize and live full time in them? Just driving around big cities at night I see so many people sleeping in their cars…it’s just crazy.
I was stunned to see how Bozeman has changed since I lived there 20 years ago. Our friends' kids there are unable to buy a home. I saw two different encampments of trailers and vans and people living in their cars. Breaks my heart a little. I didn't stay long.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How long was your trip? I'll have 13 days off this fall am I'm thinking about driving from Detroit to Moab in back. I have a motovan/sleep and really want to ride (dirt bike and harley chopper) out in Utah.
I was gone 40 days, but the driving was broken up by visiting relatives along the way in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Washington. 13 days to visit Moab sounds doable from Detroit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been traveling to Missoula and Bozeman a little lately and I do see a ton of vans on the roads. This can likely be explained by the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon (frequency illusion) for myself ha

Reactions: TransitFocus

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
584 Posts
I just went to the Post Office about 5 miles from my house (the lines were crazy) in Reno, Nv and saw 2 Pro Masters Solis.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I have been traveling to Missoula and Bozeman a little lately and I do see a ton of vans on the roads. This can likely be explained by the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon (frequency illusion) for myself ha
Is that why the majority of Transits I see are white ... just like mine.
Seriously (?), I have never seen Abyss, Avalanche in the wild. Lemmings?

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I see fully tricked out Sprinter 4x4s with all the stereotypical junk lashed to the outside at least couple times a day. And for some reason they are almost always Gray. Not that I blame them, that's the offered color I would choose, too.

who cares about looks? Except little peacocks flashing their finery, of course. The Sprinter seems to be the better backroads van, if you are middleclass enough to maintain it properly.

Reactions: pbethel

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
254 Posts
This is pretty much the same story everywhere Denver and west. I've been on the road full time for the last 2.5 years and it's wild how many more rigs are on the road compared to late 2019. I'm currently up in Alaska and I can report it's the same there too. Although up here there are lots of larger RVs and truck bed campers along with vans. The Cabela's in Anchorage currently allows overnight parking but when I was there last the parking lot was literally full at night. As in every single space was occupied by some kind of camping rig. Obviously in this area the crowd thins out a bunch in the winter, but it's still insane.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
This is pretty much the same story everywhere Denver and west. I've been on the road full time for the last 2.5 years and it's wild how many more rigs are on the road compared to late 2019. I'm currently up in Alaska and I can report it's the same there too. Although up here there are lots of larger RVs and truck bed campers. The Cabela's in Anchorage currently allows overnight parking but when I was there last the parking lot was literally full at night. As in every single space was occupied by some kind of camping rig. Obviusly in this area the crowd thins out a bunch in the water, but it's still insane.
I think this is partly down to demographics. At just 65 I'm in the median band of the boomer generation. Whenever any one of us comes up with a good idea, hundreds of millions follow in short order. Add the general malaise and sense that the world is falling apart, and those of us who can, are racing to explore as much of it as we can while it's still here - and yes pf course we are now the problem. [anybody that's interested, should take a look at "the tragedy of the commons" in game theory]. Finally add the multiplying and concentrating effects of (anti)social-media and everybody ends up chasing the same options.
It's become the same in yacht cruising. Back in the 80's you could find an isolated island in Greece to have all to yourself for a few nights or a month. There is zero chance of that now. Every morning is a race to get to the next anchorage before 200 other boats show up for the same 30 spots.

·
Registered
22 148 Cargo M Roof AWD Oxford white .
327 Posts
is it becoming difficult to take road trip In a lot places and finding decent boondock
camp spots? Because of to many rv and Van campers?

·
Registered
137 Posts
is it becoming difficult to take road trip In a lot places and finding decent boondock
camp spots? Because of to many rv and Van campers?
Yeah, it sure is different out there from a few years ago. And then there is the growing population who live full time “Urban Boondocking” just a slight step above being totally homeless because of the skyrocketing rents and home prices 😥

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think this is partly down to demographics. At just 65 I'm in the median band of the boomer generation. Whenever any one of us comes up with a good idea, hundreds of millions follow in short order. Add the general malaise and sense that the world is falling apart, and those of us who can, are racing to explore as much of it as we can while it's still here - and yes pf course we are now the problem. [anybody that's interested, should take a look at "the tragedy of the commons" in game theory]. Finally add the multiplying and concentrating effects of (anti)social-media and everybody ends up chasing the same options.
It's become the same in yacht cruising. Back in the 80's you could find an isolated island in Greece to have all to yourself for a few nights or a month. There is zero chance of that now. Every morning is a race to get to the next anchorage before 200 other boats show up for the same 30 spots.
So what you're saying is...

...we should tax the boomers more, so non-essential activity comes down? :love:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I did not have a clue about the vanlife fad when I bought my transit, My camper van was suppose to be a low cost retirement when all of the other seniors were in big motorhomes.
It is not a lost cause, Just do not go to all the places everybody else goes. That or wait until the off season.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It is not a lost cause, Just do not go to all the places everybody else goes. That or wait until the off season.
That's the key -- going in the off season if at all possible when the crowds are gone and temperatures are down (think southern Utah). I lived within about an hour's drive from Yellowstone for about 12 years and I didn't know anyone who would drive into the park during the busy summer months. Go in the spring or late fall, however, and it's a wonderful experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my area (north county SD) bad ass adventure van builds are the norm just as daily drivers, mostly sprinters. I rarely see any nice adventure style vans east of Colorado.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So what you're saying is...

...we should tax the boomers more, so non-essential activity comes down? :love:
I think the better observation is to understand demographics and where you fit in when planning for the big events in life. Try to get ahead of the herd on the buy side and don't be at the back of the herd on the sell side.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts