Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
278 Posts
Is it everywhere around the wheel or in one spot only?

To me it looks like it was sitting in some sort of chemical and it weakened the rubber a little and allows some to come off. Sitting in a harsh rim cleaner or such might do it. Or an oil, like power steering fluid.

If you look closely you can see some blistering, or pock marks around the rubber, as well as the other thread blocks with the their upper layer looking like its going to peel. Has it been in a garage lately for any work?

Why I ask if it's all around, chemical tends to be on one spot only, as the van would have sat in the puddle for a bit etc.

It doesn't look unsafe though. But it doesn't help tire wear at all.

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wonder if my gravel driveway is eating this thing for lunch. The gravel is 8+ years old, I didnt move a smidge backward or forwardd but it's at least 2/3 the way around. No garages and my oil change was 'clean'.

Tgis tire was 5psi lower than the others, and I had checked them all about 3 weeks ago. I filled it back up to 60psi and checked in the AM and it remained the same.

· Registered
2020 MR 148, Ecoboost, Beluga white, more to come.
375 Posts
...any ideas as to what could cause this damage to the tread blocks?

Continental Vanco4 10/32.
I ain't no expert (but I play one on TV) but looking at the general condition of all the tread blocks I would say it's defective. Is it only apparent on this one tire? It's called chunking. It usually happens off road or on harsh gravel roads.

I can see degradation for future chunking in the surrounding tread blocks. The hardest thing to get is a tire replacement especially on OEM tires. You would be better off (mentally) to either ignore it until the tire fails or needs replacing, or go ahead and purchase a set of tires you really want from a reputable tire dealer.

This is not a plug, just my humble opinion: I have been a Discount Tire customer for a lot of years and they always stand behind their products and take customer service very seriously. I bought a set of tires for my Civic and while the handle and wear nicely, they cause a lot of tramlining (wandering with the road grooves). Discount rotated and balanced them for free and even offered to "buy" them back. I haven't taken them up on it because they are relatively cheap tires. I should know better but I can't help myself sometimes. Plus I work too **** much and never get to drive my Honda anymore :(.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
I'll second Discount Tire's customer service-

I Recently bought 4 Maxxis trailer tires from their DiscountTireDirect internet store...
I received a survey a few weeks later and the only negative comment was I stated the date code on 2 of the tires was a little older than I would have liked.
This is really important on trailer tires as most people never wear out a set of trailer tires, instead they "age" out at some point needing replacement.

I was shocked when I got a phone call from them offering to replace all 4 tires and they would pay for mounting and balancing too!
I had mounted them myself with my manual tire changer and checked balance with my static balancer.
They shipped me the 4 tires- I carried the 4 already mounted down to the local Discount Tire shop- who swapped and balanced them all!
I did have to pay for it but then DiscountTireDirect credited the $80 back to my card.

As for the OP's damaged tires- a trivia fact many people don't know- wet tires cut much easier than dry tires.

· Registered
356 Posts
+1 more for Discount Tire.

They removed my left rear Transit Tire when I got the steel "plug" in it. They couldn't fix it ,they had to leave the steel plug( wire ) in it . Then they installed the spare after installing a new TPMS I got from Amazon in the spare. That was at 1500 miles. Used a way fancy Gadget to reset the tire positions.
No cost.

3 days later I bought their road hazard protection for the factory tires on the transit.

Sorry for the edit. these tablets don't always voice activate like you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.