Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With having the flange problem behind me for now, I am getting close to 80K miles on my 2015 350 Tansit. This is a sealed system. I have been advised that you need to have the transmission "flushed" and refilled, or the trans will start slipping, and get torn up. How much of an issue is draining the trans, and putting fluid back in? I was also told not all dealers will do a "flush". Is this covered under an extended warrentee?

·
Registered
779 Posts
fluid change is not covered under any warranty

I am not versed in the Ford closed system transmission, maybe someone can enlighten both of us.
The transmissions without a drain plug usually involves removing the pan and internal filter etc.

The flush is done usually through the trans cooler lines.

How much is regular transmission service at dealer vs flush?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had my transmission serviced at 70k by my mechanic he ended up removing the pan and put in new filter with gasket and it takes about 7-7.5qt of oil and that was easy part. Whats problem with these that you have to drop almost whole front end in order to pull the pan and take the filter out. Got me for about 4 hours for that. I wouldn't do a flush on that trany since you need to get it extremely hot in order to open a solenoid for oil to flow between trany and converter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Had my transmission serviced at 70k by my mechanic he ended up removing the pan and put in new filter with gasket and it takes about 7-7.5qt of oil and that was easy part. Whats problem with these that you have to drop almost whole front end in order to pull the pan and take the filter out. Got me for about 4 hours for that. I wouldn't do a flush on that trany since you need to get it extremely hot in order to open a solenoid for oil to flow between trany and converter.

In the Ford Transit Service Manual they say to use a fluid exchange machine. They make no mention of needing to have the fluid or the transmission hot.

They do say to check the level at between 206-215F. That might be interesting to achieve since mine never shows over about 195F in typical use. I'm wondering now if there is a 2nd sensor that the Torque app doesn't see. My Toyota has 2- pan and torque convertor out. The TC out is usually a good bit hotter especially under load.

Interesting your mechanic used 7-7.5 qts...Ford says a pan drain/refill is 3.5 qts of the 13 total in the system.
But if its like the E4OD in my F350 when you pull the filter with the pan off another qt or so falls out. On it a pan drain only nets about 6 of the 19 total.

Haven't done a 6R80 yet. But that is good to know to have more than 3.5 on hand when doing a drain/refill;)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My Transmission shop advised me to change the fluid and filter every 60,000 miles.
I'm waiting to 60,000 to do mine- that is when the powertrain warranty runs out- not touching it until then- don't want Ford to have ANY excuse to give me a warranty hassle if something happens before then. I have about 16-17k to go..

Reactions: Transition

·
Registered
779 Posts
In the Ford Transit Service Manual they say to use a fluid exchange machine. They make no mention of needing to have the fluid or the transmission hot.

They do say to check the level at between 206-215F. That might be interesting to achieve since mine never shows over about 195F in typical use. I'm wondering now if there is a 2nd sensor that the Torque app doesn't see. My Toyota has 2- pan and torque convertor out. The TC out is usually a good bit hotter especially under load.

Interesting your mechanic used 7-7.5 qts...Ford says a pan drain/refill is 3.5 qts of the 13 total in the system.
But if its like the E4OD in my F350 when you pull the filter with the pan off another qt or so falls out. On it a pan drain only nets about 6 of the 19 total.

Haven't done a 6R80 yet. But that is good to know to have more than 3.5 on hand when doing a drain/refill;)
I do a home drain and fill flush on my hondas, drain and fill 3 times over a weekend and then on at the end of every or every other summer, 3.x quarts for each drain and fill.

Given the ford trans does not have a quick way to drain or remove the pan (yeah I saw that cross member when I did my first oil change) the fluid exchange machine sounds pretty good :)

50k or 60k is a good range,

Anyone remember Toyota lifetime fill transmissions?

I am guessing Fluid exchange will be around $150 plus cost of trans oil, I would consider that cheap compared to the cost of replacing a transmission.

In the long run after the warranty if over, I would get after market pan with a drain plug,

Wait, where if the fill plug/hole?

·
Registered
779 Posts
The fill plug/dipstick is on the side of the transmission.
Shut the effing front door, wait shut the side slider in our case :)

We have a dip stick/fill hole, wow,
that makes the work super easy,

I will use my boat oil suction pump I use to change the oil in my boat engine to suction out atf using the dip/fill hole. and refill that amount.

I have done this on my honda also. Atf is thin and easy to suction out.
I use a new hose extension to suction the atf so the hose will not contaminate the trans oil.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stockrex, please update us afterwards to let us know how much fluid you were able to pump out. And any other tips you figure out (such as, width of tube recommended, if you have to get it past a blind curve, etc). I wonder how far down you are able to get the hose. Depending on your results, this seems like the way to go.

I have done trans flushes myself before on an older vehicle by disconnecting the trans line. I don't want to do that anymore (and also think it led to an overfill situation, dumping in fluid while simultaneously monitoring the outflow). I like your method; you can measure exactly how much came out, and put the exact amount back in. Even if you have to do it a few times between drives like the other poster said, it could be a better compromise.

Can you do this with a brake bleeder unit?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Stockrex, please update us afterwards to let us know how much fluid you were able to pump out. And any other tips you figure out (such as, width of tube recommended, if you have to get it past a blind curve, etc). I wonder how far down you are able to get the hose. Depending on your results, this seems like the way to go.

I have done trans flushes myself before on an older vehicle by disconnecting the trans line. I don't want to do that anymore (and also think it led to an overfill situation, dumping in fluid while simultaneously monitoring the outflow). I like your method; you can measure exactly how much came out, and put the exact amount back in. Even if you have to do it a few times between drives like the other poster said, it could be a better compromise.

Can you do this with a brake bleeder unit?
Well I can tell you that it works, and there is no blind curve to worry about as the tube will do down the dip stick access.
I use the smallest that will snake down and fit.

Usually I can get a few qts out easily.
Given that the drain and fill is 3.x qts, any amount of atf being vac'd out and replaced will help.

Yes, vac out 2 qt, drive, vac out 2 qts, drive, vac out 2 qts will only cost 6 qts of atf

so after 3 x 2 qt changes one should be left with 63% old atf and 37$ new in the system.

Sure, I will measure but I just bought my van, it will be a while till I get to 50k miles

Yes, I have done this will brake bleeder too, I use my oil vac to empty the brake reservoir and then either use the vac for the bleeder or use my Mityvac for that,

Either way, the vac works great, I use it to vac out nearly all fluids in a car.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Usually I can get a few qts out easily.
Given that the drain and fill is 3.x qts, any amount of atf being vac'd out and replaced will help.

Yes, vac out 2 qt, drive, vac out 2 qts, drive, vac out 2 qts will only cost 6 qts of atf

so after 3 x 2 qt changes one should be left with 63% old atf and 37$ new in the system.
So, the capacity of the oil vac is only two quarts? If that is the case can't you go back in and Vac out the other quart and a half or so that's in the pan? And then refill with the appropriate amount?
Also, when refilled, would you be able to start the motor put it through the gears for 25 seconds or so and shut it down. This would be without moving the van when the motor is running. The fresh fluid would be out of the pan by then. And then r+r the next panful.

On my 350 turbos with the thin steel drain pan I used to put a drain plug in them. Fill it up running for a very short time and drain and refill. Run, drain, and refill. You'd be surprised how much comes out of a transmission line when that motor is running for a very short time. I would drain and refill with as many quarts of Dexron as the transmission called for on a complete fill. I'm pretty sure I got all the old fluid out other than having to tear the transmission apart.

·
Registered
587 Posts
So, the capacity of the oil vac is only two quarts? If that is the case can't you go back in and Vac out the other quart and a half or so that's in the pan? And then refill with the appropriate amount?
Also, when refilled, would you be able to start the motor put it through the gears for 25 seconds or so and shut it down. This would be without moving the van when the motor is running. The fresh fluid would be out of the pan by then. And then r+r the next panful.

On my 350 turbos with the thin steel drain pan I used to put a drain plug in them. Fill it up running for a very short time and drain and refill. Run, drain, and refill. You'd be surprised how much comes out of a transmission line when that motor is running for a very short time. I would drain and refill with as many quarts of Dexron as the transmission called for on a complete fill. I'm pretty sure I got all the old fluid out other than having to tear the transmission apart.
I am not sure about his vacuum/pump unit but a standard oil pump for marine or Automotive
oil changes will keep pumping as long as your +12VDC supply will last.

In my business I use a +12VDC pump from Granger to change oil from Air Compressor heads.
The output of the pump has a hose that I place in a 1 gallon container to catch the oil oil
for future recycling.

Bottom line is there is not a limit to how much you can pump out in my configuration.
If you had a 5 gallon drum the pump could fill it given the +12VDC is supplied to the pump.

·
Registered
779 Posts

2 qts = amount I am guessing I can vac out quickly through the dip stick.

The oil vac, depending on model has mucho capacity, like 16 qts or something.

Good idea but I will be patient and just vac out what I can and then refill and drive to errand, let it cool and do it again.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I am not sure about his vacuum/pump unit but a standard oil pump for marine or Automotive
oil changes will keep pumping as long as your +12VDC supply will last.

In my business I use a +12VDC pump from Granger to change oil from Air Compressor heads.
The output of the pump has a hose that I place in a 1 gallon container to catch the oil oil
for future recycling.

Bottom line is there is not a limit to how much you can pump out in my configuration.
If you had a 5 gallon drum the pump could fill it given the +12VDC is supplied to the pump.
Mine is a hand pump,
yeah, there are lot of other powered ones,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Actually he used about 6.5 qt. Just went and check what I have left over from the case I bought.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts