Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have very little experience with auto transmissions. Here is my old school reaction to all this. Like with other brands/models, a filter change necessitates only a partial refill...I.e. 2/3 of the old flu id remains in the trans with a typical filter replacement, only 1/3 gets replaced. A “flush” is one way to get all the fluid refreshed. I don’t know that it is the only way (other than total rebuild to a dry unit). A flush by itself would not address a dirty or clogged filter. Therefore, a flush AND filter change is the “more complete” approach (other than total rebuild or complete trans replacement). Is this correct thinking?

This plug with a fluid level “stick” may save Ford a few nickels vs a traditional dipstick, and it may keep more contamination out, but sounds like a PITA. I feel I will be at someone’s mercy if/when this needs to be addressed, and I have a low threshold of trust it will be done correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
^^^
Amazon has the same one for $30 more- I believe I'd order it from them as they usually have great return policies. Ebay- good luck with a return.

I'm looking into them as I have 4 vehicles- 3 of them automatics and 3 more in the family fleet I maintain. Problem is every one of them uses a different ATF- some of those machines are a PITA to drain, clean and switch fluids.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is where I downloaded my service manual files.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Purchase/ViewProduct

You can select how much time to access the files from Motorcraft.

I selected 72 hours but you have to have the time to download the files.

I googled for the 2015 Ford service manual and there a lot more sources for the Transit manual since I first tried back in 01/2017.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
^^^
Amazon has the same one for $30 more- I believe I'd order it from them as they usually have great return policies. Ebay- good luck with a return.

I'm looking into them as I have 4 vehicles- 3 of them automatics and 3 more in the family fleet I maintain. Problem is every one of them uses a different ATF- some of those machines are a PITA to drain, clean and switch fluids.
Good point, but remember the guy at the local quickie lube isn't about to sanitize his before he hooks up your ride. PITA or no, it's always better to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I had company vehicles for 27 years- they were leased and maintenance was under strict guidelines from an automotive management company.
We were under strict orders to NEVER let a quickie lube place flush a trans.
caveat emptor

·
Registered
778 Posts
Si is it necessary to replace the filter sometime??
My trans service standard is a simple drain and fill at the end of every summer when temps drop to 50s, for us in MI it is around labor day.

For the transit, I will do vacuum out through the fill hole and refill the amount I took out. I will check my level first.

I bought my engine oil change pump from west marine, they sell a major brand one rebranded with west marine brand, it was cheaper.
I do not plan on changing filter any time soon, I am at 29k miles. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my engine oil change pump from west marine, they sell a major brand one rebranded with west marine brand, it was cheaper.
I do not plan on changing filter any time soon, I am at 29k miles. Hope that helps.
Any chance you can provide a link for the one you got?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Any chance you can provide a link for the one you got?
if ya wait it comes on sale for $49 I think, but still a value. Check amazon also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts