Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oddest thing. My 2015 transit (3.7 engine) won't start. Turning the ignition to III, the starter will turn, but the car won't start. When you let off the key to let the ignition go back to II, the starter keeps turning. I have to turn the key all the way off to get it to stop. Has anybody seen this?

When turning the key from off to II, I don't hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds like on most cars. Is the transit fuel pump supposed to run for a few seconds? If the fuel pump does not run, is it by design that the starter keeps turning?

I'm leaning towards bad fuel pump, but the starter not stopping unless I turn the key off has me baffled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just found a video on youtube with the exact same issue. The starter keeps running in the video too. Sounds like it is an issue with the Fuel Pump Control Module.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oddest thing. My 2015 transit (3.7 engine) won't start. Turning the ignition to III, the starter will turn, but the car won't start. When you let off the key to let the ignition go back to II, the starter keeps turning. I have to turn the key all the way off to get it to stop. Has anybody seen this?

When turning the key from off to II, I don't hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds like on most cars. Is the transit fuel pump supposed to run for a few seconds? If the fuel pump does not run, is it by design that the starter keeps turning?

I'm leaning towards bad fuel pump, but the starter not stopping unless I turn the key off has me baffled.
I also have a 2015 Transit with the 3.7 and had the exact same problem. It was the fuel pump control module. It is located next to the front frame rail under the van directly under the drivers seat. Take out the two 10mm bolts and unclip the old module. Install new one. Simple, takes 10 minutes. The part cost $62.00 at my local Ford dealer. A common part used on other Ford products too, so it was in stock. Note to other Transit owners... I noticed for several months the starter seemed to keep turning the engine over a few revolutions after I let go of the key when starting. This was the part going bad. If your transit does this, replace the fuel pump control module before it fails.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a yaaaahooo replace a injector and cut the o-ring. When it failed and was spewing gas all over my engine it did not want to start. It did the same thing. The starter would run and run till it either did start or I turned it off. So I think anything that keeps your engine from starting will make it act like this. It may not for sure be the control module.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I can't address whatever actual problem(s) you all may have. But, do keep in mind that normal behavior with ignition, is that, when you let up on turning the key, the starter keeps going until the engine starts... (which should probably be subject to some timeout).

·
Registered
4,765 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't address whatever actual problem(s) you all may have. But, do keep in mind that normal behavior with ignition, is that, when you let up on turning the key, the starter keeps going until the engine starts... (which should probably be subject to some timeout).
One thing notable when I had the no start problem, with the starter going and going, was there was no smell of gas. This suggests the problem was no fuel to the cylinders, versus say no spark. Narrows down most likely causes to either the fuel pump control module, or the fuel pump itself. When the module was slowly failing, the starter would keep turning the engine over for a second or two after I let go of the key before it started.. This was the module not sending the signal to the fuel pump to start pumping fuel right away. With the new module installed, the engine fires the moment I let go of the key when starting, with no delay. It's good the Transit uses a key for starting, so you can sense when there is a problem here. If it was a push button, you would have no idea until it fails and leaves you stranded somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts