Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had to order a van today, I would order a Promaster diesel. I'm waiting for the Ford diesel in case I drive it and causes an uncontrollable woody due to its superiority, but so far, all I can tell is it will have more options, cost more and get lower mpg and a shorter warrantee plus a torque converter instead of a clutch. So I ask, why buy a Transit diesel over a Promaster? I prefer Ford over Dodge because they are a US owned company and didn't taker taxpayer money.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
The major difference between the two is the number of locations where the vehicle can be serviced. The Fiat is just like the Sprinter. Few dealers. OK if you use the vehicle in a major metropolitan city and will always be near a dealer's service. Where it gets more interesting is when something fails in the middle of nowhere. Every other town has a Ford dealer that is used to working on the same drivetrain that is in the Mustang and F150.
If you are going to use it for travel, then consider the availability of service. One of my major reasons for selling my Sprinter is the limited service locations (plus quite a few other reasons). When I drove down the Oregon coast and never saw a Mercedes dealer (much less one that services Sprinters) but saw lots of Ford dealers I was convinced.
The Fiat does have a couple of major advantages for a conversion. It is wider so you can easily sleep across back of van, the floor is lower and there is a lot more room under floor for tanks etc.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah that a big problem when it comes to PM's, good reason for staying away from them depending on where you live, fortunately im usually within big cities

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are confusing FIAT car with Ram Promaster, Not all the dodge dealers sell or service Fiats. If they sell or service Ram trucks, which is at most of the dodge dealerships, they will service the van.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My local Dodge dealer can not sell the Promaster because he did not purchase the heavy duty Ram franchise. He can purchase one for me through another dealer 100 miles away but not service it. So I guess it is the Ford for me. Dodge boy's and girl's dropped the ball on us again just like the Sprinter days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This economy has led the demise of many dealers in our area, We have a VW but no dealer now, Had ford dealer 3 blocks away now tumble weeds, I can't guarantee any dealer will be in business in our area so It's out of the equation.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Just slam the Promaster slider shut.
Once the sheet metal stabilizes from it's oil-canning excursion, try it again.
Granted, the only Transit I've seen was roped off and I have no idea about the quality of construction, but my assumption is it will be more along the lines of the Sprinter.
That's why I'm waiting before ordering, but from what I've seen comparing a Ram Promaster to a MB Sprinter as far as quality of build is like comparing a '60's Fiat to a 60's Benz.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just left the dealer today and slammed the slider a few times, quite solid, fit and finish not too bad, overhead shelf will hit you in the forehead if you are somewhat taller than average. Fleet manager knew very little about the vans. Dealer said in order to sell these vans they had too qualify to service and repair ram commercial vehicles, which they are now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I saw a brand new one that was bought by a auto parts co. to replace there Ranger as a Deliv. truck.
I have looked at it before,but noticed that someone (at the store) open and closed it.(side sliding door)
The back of the door did NOT 100% close and was not flush with the body.
Looks like you have to move these fast and have sure to SLAM them.
I just got back from the Mercedes/Sprinter dealer and a Ducato/promaster is VERY cheap compared to the 2014 Bluetec Sprinters

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Your friendly government has emission requirements in the USA that lower mpg figures in this country. Do not expect mpg ratings in Europe to be the same in USA. The Europe MPG figures are also with a manual 6 speed transmission. Doubt if PM diesel will get more than 24 mpg in USA. Sprinter is playing by same rules in this country with their 4 cylinder which gets around 24 mpg. No magic here, I am sure Mercedes is as competent as Fiat in engine design for maximum mpg.

Besides a diesel will cost you more to operate unless you put on lots of miles/year. Do the calculation including all costs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The diesel PM will come with a manual trans, Electric clutch version. US estimates I find are conservative and better than they used to be as I average 3 MPG higher than what is rated for my vehicles, I drive normal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am not going to talk you out of buying one, or tell you what to buy for youself.
The fuel MPG numbers are for which body & wheelbase? how much weight?
And what is the driving cycle like for these rating?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
The diesel PM will come with a manual trans, Electric clutch version. US estimates I find are conservative and better than they used to be as I average 3 MPG higher than what is rated for my vehicles, I drive normal.
I think you have decided on a diesel PM. Just wait until the diesel is available and buy one. Do hope it works out well for your use. No need to support your decision. Let us know your actual mpg.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you have decided on a diesel PM. Just wait until the diesel is available and buy one. Do hope it works out well for your use. No need to support your decision. Let us know your actual mpg.
This is the first post below, I can see why you think I decided to to buy a PM, because I said it! I'm looking for a reason to buy the ford as I would like to buy from an american MFG vs italian owned MFG. But so far I haven't seen a transit yet and no efficiency guesstiments or features that would change my mind. I was hoping this site wasn't an echo chamber.

If I had to order a van today, I would order a Promaster diesel. I'm waiting for the Ford diesel in case I drive it and causes an uncontrollable woody due to its superiority, but so far, all I can tell is it will have more options, cost more and get lower mpg and a shorter warrantee plus a torque converter instead of a clutch. So I ask, why buy a Transit diesel over a Promaster? I prefer Ford over Dodge because they are a US owned company and didn't taker taxpayer money.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Not against your choice.

PM will probably cost less.
Either Ford or PM diesels will cost more to operate than a gas engine unless you drive over 40,000/year.
Hard to tell which diesel will get best MPG. Would guess the PM due to the semi manual transmission. Neither will get over 24 mpg. We will have to wait until owners report actual MPG numbers.
Ford will have a lot more service locations.
More service locations will be familiar with the Ford drivetrain than Ram service locations are familiar with the PM. Neither Ford or PM service personnel have experience with their diesels.
Driving position better in the Ford. Each individual is different so a person needs to drive the PM to make that decision if PM is a problem.
My guess is the Ford will be a higher quality vehicle.
Lower floor advantage in PM due to FWD.
More space under PM for camper converters due to FWD.
PM is wider so across back sleeping is better in PM.

As always there are positives and negatives to each choice. Just determine what is best for your needs.

For me driving a gas engine/drivetrain out of a F150/Mustang is very important. I have a Sprinter now that makes you wonder what you will do if it quits and you are a long distance from service. Service locations and getting rid of the complicated diesel are my major reasons for making the change. In that regard a diesel PM would not erase that anxiety.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ford has evolved to a higher quality product, I have had an opinion over the years of chrysler products of being made as an disposable product such as a washing machine with a determined lifespan. I've owned several Fiats in the 70's and 80's and was attracted to their innovation and advanced technology in products of that time period, dual cams, dual points, 5 speed trannys, 4 wheel disc brakes etc… but Lucas, "father of darkness" plagued all their models.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Ford has evolved to a higher quality product, I have had an opinion over the years of chrysler products of being made as an disposable product such as a washing machine with a determined lifespan. I've owned several Fiats in the 70's and 80's and was attracted to their innovation and advanced technology in products of that time period, dual cams, dual points, 5 speed trannys, 4 wheel disc brakes etc… but Lucas, "father of darkness" plagued all their models.
I have owned 6 Alfa Romeo's. Sold last one 12 years ago. Only the first one, a 1959 Sprint had Lucas electrical. Last was a 1967 Duetto.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No one has mentioned the Promaster is FWD? FIAT has sold millions in Europe and they get around in winter and have a low load floor. But I suspect the driving dynamics will change a lot with a rear load, and towing is a question mark.

The Ducato does well on snowy hills while unloaded, so FWD isn't always a negative.

I've started seeing them pretty regularly. The square shape and large interior volume are plusses. Remains to be seen how the Transit compares.

You never know what features will sway you. We switched from Econoline to Express at work because it was almost impossible to find an Econoline Cargo with cruise control.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts