Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nissan has a five year 100k warranty. The ford has a 3 year 36k warranty. Both are around the same price.

I would be using it for a stealth camper. Anyone else compared these vans?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was originally going to get an NV (I'm one of the few who actually like the way they look, apparently!) but changed my mind.

First, you lose at least two feet of cargo space front-to-back, even though it's about the same length overall, due to the pickup-style front end. Might not be an issue for some, in my case it meant my kayak wouldn't fit inside. (The bow of my kayak actually sits between the seats of my Transit.)

Second, the reported mileage on them was really low, even for the 6-cyl engine. Low teens, some never seemed to get more than 12 MPG or so with the 8-cyl.

Third, most Nissan dealers in my area didn't seem to sell them. The one that did I wasn't very impressed with. I started wondering if the other Nissan places would/could even service it or if I'd have to go to a "commercial" dealer. Final straw was when I went to test drive one - there had always been several on the lot whenever I drove by but the day I stopped in they said they didn't have any available to try out! I decided that was some sort of sign and scratched them off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 3.5EB hi-top usually has tank averages around 16. Most of my daily driving is short distance, low speed stuff. If I do slightly longer drives, especially if I'm on the outskirts of town where I don't have to stop-and-go as much, I can push that up pretty easily to 17. On the highways if I can stay to 60-65 17-18 is reasonable but going above that the wind resistance drags it down. Still, worst I've had was 75 MPH into a strong headwind had me down around 13-14. (The return trip with a tailwind was phenomenal though! :p )

I've never driven a 6 cyl NV so don't know for sure what mileage it can do with my driving. I spent some time browsing the NV forum and got the impression that - while a *few* people were getting mid-teens most were getting low-teens. Their numbers were only marginally better than the 8 cyl.

A potential problem is that a forum isn't necessarily a good sample set, and the NV forum was a pretty low-volume one to boot, so not a lot of data to work with there. On the other hand, my Transit is averaging about what I expected after reading this forum - though I had hoped to do a little better than average since I do tend to be a more easy-going driver than most.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I considered a Nissan but wondered about getting it serviced especially on the road. Not too many dealers around. Ford has a dealer in everyy city. How many Nissans to you see?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Do Nissans break down? It's not like it's a Ford or GMC or something.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
When it comes to aftermarket accessories for pickup trucks, Nissan is an orphan brand relative to Toyota and the US big three. Considering how limited availability of accessories is for the van market, the situation for the NV is probably worse. The resale market for Nissan Frontier? It is to laugh. I would expect the NV resale market to be even worse.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do Nissans break down? It's not like it's a Ford or GMC or something.

I had a 1990 Nissan Axxess (mini van) for 5 years and never had any problems with it except I could not get the sunroof to stop leaking, but it was under powered with a 16 valve 4-cylinder engine. It was the opposite of the Transit eco-boost - it drank gas like a 6-cylinder, but only had the power of a 4-cylinder. It's understandable why they only made it one year.

I looked at the Nissan NV before I decided on the Transit. I like the look of the low roof passenger NV, but not the high roof van and I wanted the higher roof. Other reasons I went with a Transit instead of an NV have already been mentioned in earlier posts.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm going to test drive a NV today or tomorrow. I have 100k on the Transit and it's time for a new van.

Edit: OK. Rides nice, plenty of power, good brakes. Utilitarian does not begin to describe the feature set. 20 years ago, this thing would have been state of the art. Now it's the modern equivalent of a keys and heater ride. The dash is informative, if you drill down with the single, dash mounted knob. There is one option. A Navigation package with satellite radio. That is it. You pick a trim level. The highest spec 3500 SL gets you a power drivers seat and a very basic alarm. Everything other trim level is a refugee from the communist block. A real letdown compared to my 4 year old Transit. It's barely a step up from my 04 Sprinter in that the radio works. Fine for fleets, not a choice you would make for your personal ride. It would be like going from a Transit to an E series, though the E vans at least had some options to pimp them out a bit. Huge meh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The Nissan has a five year 100k warranty. The ford has a 3 year 36k warranty. Both are around the same price.

I would be using it for a stealth camper. Anyone else compared these vans?
There are not enough of these on the road to blend in as a stealth camper. Their unique half pickup half van appearance really stands out from the common van.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
A month in with the NV and so far fine. Dropped a couple of MPG over the ecoboost, from 14 to 12. I did see a spike in MPG in the Transit right before I traded it in though. I was really babying it as it was ready to scatter itself. That said, one of my regular work jaunts takes me over a mountain pass. Sea level to 4k' and back to sea level. The NV gets better mileage on that run. 5 mpg better. A heavy foot in the Transit had a big impact. The V8 in the NV doesn't seem to care how you use the pedal. So if you're considering one and mileage is an issue, get the V6. One issue with the NV was the sliding door. They have a TSB on the thing jamming if it's 90% latched. Same situation as the Transit sliders with people complaining the dealers can't fix it. This was an easy fix. Took me 5 minutes. Tightened a cable. So Nissan service idiots are just as inept as Ford service idiots. What a surprise. I really miss a lot of things about the Transit. Truly a revelation how much more modern and sophisticated the interior is in the Transit. I got the uprated nav package in the NV and to anyone considering that, don't. I only wanted it for the XM radio, and for that it's junk. Drops signal a lot. Another known issue. The nav is on par with a 20 year old garmin. I ignore the thing and use google maps on my phone. Nissan, in their infinite wisdom, mounted the back up camera above the license plate like on my 2015 Transit, and it is every bit as useless. Build quality seems to be about equal. I'm finding about the same (very small) number of assembly fails on the NV as I did in the Transit. All minor stuff. Can't speak to reliability this early in the game. My gut tells me the NV will be more reliable. The thing is virtually unchanged since 2012 and it's a proven design with an incredibly small number of TSBs. My Transit filled a trash can with recall paperwork, and the list of TSBs is classic Ford. Virtually uncountable. Either way, I'll only keep it for 100k miles like the Transit. It comes with a 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Nice coincidence. Upfit was uneventful. They give you a lot of threaded anchor points on the walls and ceiling, which is nice. The roof mounting points are exterior brackets, not the silly penetrations Ford dreamed up. The NV is a few inches taller inside than the mid roof Transit, but the walls slope in more at the top so making use of the added height is compromised somewhat. It holds what my 130" mid roof Transit did, so that's the comparable Transit. There are a few nice things about the cab. The center console is cavernous and very useful. They also put a tray on the back of the passenger seat so you can fold it down and put things on it you want watch fly off as you go around a corner. There is room for storage under the passenger seat, and a little drawer under the driver seat. Best of all is the seat. For my back, it's painless, unlike the Transit which got rather uncomfortable after an hour or so. Overall I'd call it a draw. The Transit is modern and sophisticated in ways the NV can't touch. The NV is a proper ladder frame truck and reliability is probably less a roll of the dice. As for looks, if you find beauty in vans, you probably also like to go hogging. Good for you. I don't judge.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For those considering a 6-cylinder NV, I have some input. Before buying my Transit I owned a Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V6, which is the same engine used in the NV. It was my TV for a Toy Hauler that was typically 5k pounds. That engine is a very reliable workhorse. As noted, it does not get good gas mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've owned a NV 2500 low roof v6 and a transit med roof 148 - no comparison. Transit far superior and it got better MPGs with eco boost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts