Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nissan has a five year 100k warranty. The ford has a 3 year 36k warranty. Both are around the same price.

I would be using it for a stealth camper. Anyone else compared these vans?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was originally going to get an NV (I'm one of the few who actually like the way they look, apparently!) but changed my mind.

First, you lose at least two feet of cargo space front-to-back, even though it's about the same length overall, due to the pickup-style front end. Might not be an issue for some, in my case it meant my kayak wouldn't fit inside. (The bow of my kayak actually sits between the seats of my Transit.)

Second, the reported mileage on them was really low, even for the 6-cyl engine. Low teens, some never seemed to get more than 12 MPG or so with the 8-cyl.

Third, most Nissan dealers in my area didn't seem to sell them. The one that did I wasn't very impressed with. I started wondering if the other Nissan places would/could even service it or if I'd have to go to a "commercial" dealer. Final straw was when I went to test drive one - there had always been several on the lot whenever I drove by but the day I stopped in they said they didn't have any available to try out! I decided that was some sort of sign and scratched them off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 3.5EB hi-top usually has tank averages around 16. Most of my daily driving is short distance, low speed stuff. If I do slightly longer drives, especially if I'm on the outskirts of town where I don't have to stop-and-go as much, I can push that up pretty easily to 17. On the highways if I can stay to 60-65 17-18 is reasonable but going above that the wind resistance drags it down. Still, worst I've had was 75 MPH into a strong headwind had me down around 13-14. (The return trip with a tailwind was phenomenal though! :p )

I've never driven a 6 cyl NV so don't know for sure what mileage it can do with my driving. I spent some time browsing the NV forum and got the impression that - while a *few* people were getting mid-teens most were getting low-teens. Their numbers were only marginally better than the 8 cyl.

A potential problem is that a forum isn't necessarily a good sample set, and the NV forum was a pretty low-volume one to boot, so not a lot of data to work with there. On the other hand, my Transit is averaging about what I expected after reading this forum - though I had hoped to do a little better than average since I do tend to be a more easy-going driver than most.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I considered a Nissan but wondered about getting it serviced especially on the road. Not too many dealers around. Ford has a dealer in everyy city. How many Nissans to you see?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Do Nissans break down? It's not like it's a Ford or GMC or something.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When it comes to aftermarket accessories for pickup trucks, Nissan is an orphan brand relative to Toyota and the US big three. Considering how limited availability of accessories is for the van market, the situation for the NV is probably worse. The resale market for Nissan Frontier? It is to laugh. I would expect the NV resale market to be even worse.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do Nissans break down? It's not like it's a Ford or GMC or something.

I had a 1990 Nissan Axxess (mini van) for 5 years and never had any problems with it except I could not get the sunroof to stop leaking, but it was under powered with a 16 valve 4-cylinder engine. It was the opposite of the Transit eco-boost - it drank gas like a 6-cylinder, but only had the power of a 4-cylinder. It's understandable why they only made it one year.

I looked at the Nissan NV before I decided on the Transit. I like the look of the low roof passenger NV, but not the high roof van and I wanted the higher roof. Other reasons I went with a Transit instead of an NV have already been mentioned in earlier posts.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I'm going to test drive a NV today or tomorrow. I have 100k on the Transit and it's time for a new van.

Edit: OK. Rides nice, plenty of power, good brakes. Utilitarian does not begin to describe the feature set. 20 years ago, this thing would have been state of the art. Now it's the modern equivalent of a keys and heater ride. The dash is informative, if you drill down with the single, dash mounted knob. There is one option. A Navigation package with satellite radio. That is it. You pick a trim level. The highest spec 3500 SL gets you a power drivers seat and a very basic alarm. Everything other trim level is a refugee from the communist block. A real letdown compared to my 4 year old Transit. It's barely a step up from my 04 Sprinter in that the radio works. Fine for fleets, not a choice you would make for your personal ride. It would be like going from a Transit to an E series, though the E vans at least had some options to pimp them out a bit. Huge meh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts