Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this is information easily obtained elsewhere, but I'm struggling to understand all of the new initialisms being thrown my way.

I am doing my best to figure out what the towing capacity of the Transit is. I understand that there is the GVWR, which is the total payload capacity of the van (including itself and everything in it). I could be wrong, but I think GCWR is the combined weight of the GVWR and a trailer.

That being said, hypothetically, if the curb weight, plus bodies, plus upfit, and all liquids, equals a weight of 8,000lbs out of a GVWR of 9,000, how much would a Transit with a GCWR of 6,500lbs be able to tow?

I sincerely apologize if this makes no sense. I'm still learning.

Taking the numbers from this document: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/19Towing_Ford_Transit_Oct25.pdf

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GCWR - Actual vehicle weight - trailer weight > 0
Ah, ok, so using my numbers it comes it would come out like this (again, hypothetical):
GVWR = 9,000lbs
GCWR = 12,600lbs
Trailer (Wrangler) = 4,000lbs
Curb weight after upfit = 8,000lbs

Equation:
12,600 - 8,000 - 4,000 = 600

Obviously this is simplified and there are other considerations (I think tongue weight being one of them) but for the most part is that correct?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ah, ok, so using my numbers it comes it would come out like this (again, hypothetical):
GVWR = 9,000lbs
GCWR = 12,600lbs
Trailer (Wrangler) = 4,000lbs
Curb weight after upfit = 8,000lbs

Equation:
12,600 - 8,000 - 4,000 = 600

Obviously this is simplified and there are other considerations (I think tongue weight being one of them) but for the most part is that correct?
Yessir, and yeah the tongue weight rating is rather low to the comparative towing capacity, it's all detailed in the owners manual if you can find that online.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Their tongue weight numbers are worthless. They just say 10% of trailer weight. It has nothing to do with what your van can actually handle by SAE standard -- "should be such as to maintain a level trailer attitude within ±1.0 degree from horizontal or within 25 mm of ball height, whichever is greater."

Actually, my manual says between 10% and 15% of trailer weight.

So max tongue weight is a bit of a mystery.

Not a real mystery. If your trailer weighs 3,000 pounds your tongue weight should be between 300 and 450 pounds. If your max towing capacity is 7,500 pounds and assuming you aren't over the GCWR towing that amount, then your max tongue weight is 1,125 pounds.

If you tow a variety of trailers frequently instead of just the same trailer all the time, a Weigh Safe hitch would be a great investment.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

·
Registered
279 Posts
Their tongue weight numbers are worthless. They just say 10% of trailer weight. It has nothing to do with what your van can actually handle by SAE standard -- "should be such as to maintain a level trailer attitude within ±1.0 degree from horizontal or within 25 mm of ball height, whichever is greater."

Actually, my manual says between 10% and 15% of trailer weight.

So max tongue weight is a bit of a mystery.

Not a real mystery. If your trailer weighs 3,000 pounds your tongue weight should be between 300 and 450 pounds. If your max towing capacity is 7,500 pounds and assuming you aren't over the GCWR towing that amount, then your max tongue weight is 1,125 pounds.

If you tow a variety of trailers frequently instead of just the same trailer all the time, a Weigh Safe hitch would be a great investment.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/
I had deleted that post shortly after writing it for that reason. It was a dumb post. Guess you were able to quote it before I deleted it. Lol

I just got a sherline tongue scale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts