Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Transit 350 XLT, MR, 148" WB, 3.7L V6, Passenger Wagon
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a year ago, we purchased a little used, very low mileage, mid roof, 148” WB, 2017 Ford Transit 350 XLT passenger van for a very reasonable price. Before pulling the trigger on this van, I had read scores of reviews, test driven and talked with various owners who, on balance, were favorably impressed with the Ford Transit. For the most part, I have been a GM "van man" for a long time, but wanted to move to a more spacious, height accommodating van, which GM still doesn’t offer.

Save for one glaring oversight, we have been very impressed with the vans road ability and limited adaption for camping excursions; however, the oversight that I failed to research before buying it was the lack of any openable windows in this van. It was a passing thought at the time, but I thought surely someone offered direct replacement windows for some of the fixed glass windows in this van. How wrong I was.

After extensive research on line, I cannot find anyone that makes any direct replacement openable windows for the fixed glass windows in these passenger vans. I have contacted Van Windows Direct (VWD), AMA & CRL, and the only consolation I have received, after talking extensively with the cordial VWD folks, is that they are aggressively addressing this need, with promises to offer such windows in the very near future. Regrettably, this doesn’t solve the lack of ventilation (save for the driver and passenger windows) in the van for the near term. And yes, several have recommended cutting a hole in the top of the van and adding a fan, which I’m still reluctant to do.

Ideally, I would like some sort of openable/flip out windows for the most rear right and left quarter windows or both back door windows. I understand that earlier Transit vans had OEM openable windows, but due to breaking plastic parts and poor design, these windows have been discontinued on later vans. I have owned a number of Chevy Express passenger vans, and currently have one, with OEM openable/ flip out windows for the sides and rear windows, all of which have worked reliably for ventilation.

Bottom line question: Does anyone know of ANY manufacturer or distributor that can currently supply openable/flipout windows for direct replacement of fixed windows in Transit Passenger vans? Seems to me someone would offer these options with all the discussion of this issue in this forum and with other owners I have talked with regarding this issue. Anyone’s help or suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A little over a year ago, we purchased a little used, very low mileage, mid roof, 148” WB, 2017 Ford Transit 350 XLT passenger van for a very reasonable price. Before pulling the trigger on this van, I had read scores of reviews, test driven and talked with various owners who, on balance, were favorably impressed with the Ford Transit. For the most part, I have been a GM "van man" for a long time, but wanted to move to a more spacious, height accommodating van, which GM still doesn’t offer.

Save for one glaring oversight, we have been very impressed with the vans road ability and limited adaption for camping excursions; however, the oversight that I failed to research before buying it was the lack of any openable windows in this van. It was a passing thought at the time, but I thought surely someone offered direct replacement windows for some of the fixed glass windows in this van. How wrong I was.

After extensive research on line, I cannot find anyone that makes any direct replacement openable windows for the fixed glass windows in these passenger vans. I have contacted Van Windows Direct (VWD), AMA & CRL, and the only consolation I have received, after talking extensively with the cordial VWD folks, is that they are aggressively addressing this need, with promises to offer such windows in the very near future. Regrettably, this doesn’t solve the lack of ventilation (save for the driver and passenger windows) in the van for the near term. And yes, several have recommended cutting a hole in the top of the van and adding a fan, which I’m still reluctant to do.

Ideally, I would like some sort of openable/flip out windows for the most rear right and left quarter windows or both back door windows. I understand that earlier Transit vans had OEM openable windows, but due to breaking plastic parts and poor design, these windows have been discontinued on later vans. I have owned a number of Chevy Express passenger vans, and currently have one, with OEM openable/ flip out windows for the sides and rear windows, all of which have worked reliably for ventilation.

Bottom line question: Does anyone know of ANY manufacturer or distributor that can currently supply openable/flipout windows for direct replacement of fixed windows in Transit Passenger vans? Seems to me someone would offer these options with all the discussion of this issue in this forum and with other owners I have talked with regarding this issue. Anyone’s help or suggestion appreciated.
While they are out of stock, this site has openable windows that look like OEM.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

Be careful with the opening windows that appear to be factory fit. There was a previous report on this forum where the aftermarket window had a different radius (smaller of course) at the corner. So while an install in a cargo van would have a factory look it would not work as a replacement for fixed factory glass. I don't now the specific details or if the situation has changed. I cannot seem to find the post using either the search function or google. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
400 Posts
Be careful with the opening windows that appear to be factory fit. There was a previous report on this forum where the aftermarket window had a different radius (smaller of course) at the corner. So while an install in a cargo van would have a factory look it would not work as a replacement for fixed factory glass. I don't now the specific details or if the situation has changed. I cannot seem to find the post using either the search function or google. 🤷‍♀️
More research is always valuable, but I doubt there is a issue here. Even if the cutout is slightly different, the mounting has a wide overlap and should be tolerant of differences.

When I was study the issue last fall for feasibility, the bigger issue was the skill required to remove an existing window. The suggestion was to have a pro do at least the removal portion of the job.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
1,934 Posts
I /think/ we are/were looking for the same thing. I had CRL tilt-out windows on our previous Sprinter and expected to put them into the Transit passenger. Turns out they're not available for the factory holes - only if you're cutting your own. But the AMA / VWD slide-opening windows fit. Not exactly as cool as the tilt-outs, but achieve the desired results. The CRL tilt-ups were just meh anyway - not great fit or finish... but good enough. Are you just upset that there's no tilt-up option?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You would have to go back with the Ford factory pop-out windows that were offered as options for the 2016-19 passenger vans. There is a 2nd row feature for both the driver's side and the passenger sliding door and on the HR Extended passenger vans where you had a 2nd row and/or 4th row pop-out window option. You can go back to some early forum threads where buyers had problems with the locking tabs breaking and taking them back to Ford for repair via warranty. Ford had so many warranty issues on these pop-out windows they deleted the option starting in the 2020 model.

You can go back to the Matt Ford website and see some of these factory windows. You will not find ANY aftermarket pop-out windows but Ford may still have them available. They may have used up the supply through the Ford parts system and they may no longer be available.

·
Registered
400 Posts
CRL Windows are NOT direct replacements for the factory windows. Some past Transit buyers have tried this and found out the hard way.
None of this makes sense.
1) The aftermarket windows say "No Layout Required, Use OEM Stampings for Cut Line" which, of course, are there for the OEM windows.
2) The glue area is broad and does not have tight tolerances.

The only fit concern might be the outside dimensions of the glass, though it is hard to imagine why the aftermarket makers would make it different from the OEM.

Please point us to someone with first-hand experience with this.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You can go back to previous forum threads where this has already happened. If you want to go buy these aftermarket windows, just go ahead and when you figure out they won't work, good luck in getting a refund when you take them back and if they do, they will charge you a restocking fee close to 10% or more.

They make these windows to install in the cargo van and NOT as a replacement for the factory windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all who have contributed so far to my question regarding trying to find satisfactory openable windows to directly replace fixed glass window in Transit Passenger Vans. Much of the information, though not all, that has been offered and expressed so far reflects what I have already read and discovered reading various threads in this forum plus discussions with others on the subject. I guess, I am/was looking for any new info and ideas on the subject that I may have overlooked or have not yet discovered.

Perhaps these vans were really never intended to be used for RV purposes, but instead to be used as shuttle vans at airports and to be used with AC when cooling and heating is needed; however, I/we do like the openness that the windows afford, even though they don’t open, but would like so to do so. Can’t run the van’s AC for sleeping purposes all night….LOL….and am still working on a viable option for an AC solution....a whole nother issue.

As I mentioned in my opening comments, I have owned Chev. & GMC vans with OEM openable side and rear tilt/flip out windows that have worked extremely well for ventilation, plus I know friends who have had these type windows in Ford Econoline Vans. So am puzzled that, even though Ford tried these type windows in these earlier Transit vans, that they didn’t or wouldn’t reengineer or fix the problems rather than ditch the options….again, maybe because they figured these vans weren’t intended for RV use?????

And so, I suppose I’m resigned to sticking with waiting on Van Window Direct (VWD) to come up with some workable solutions in the near future. I have found that the VWD folks are nearly the only ones who will talk with you and give detailed info on the subject and not blow you off, particularly one Jonathon with whom I have had several telecons. Upon closer inspection of their current website, I do find that VWD (Turkish made) and/or AMA (China made) are offering a slider openable window for the passenger slider door and window behind the driver side window that they claim can be used for either the panel cut out or replacement for fixed windows.

Anyone have any recent experience with installing either this VWD or AMA window ? In meantime will continue to welcome all comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
None of this makes sense.
1) The aftermarket windows say "No Layout Required, Use OEM Stampings for Cut Line" which, of course, are there for the OEM windows.
2) The glue area is broad and does not have tight tolerances.

The only fit concern might be the outside dimensions of the glass, though it is hard to imagine why the aftermarket makers would make it different from the OEM.

Please point us to someone with first-hand experience with this.
I talked to the CRL folks (directly) when I first got the rig. They were clear: it's not the same opening and their windows don't fit as replacements for stock.

I also talked to someone who was selling AMA (can't recall who) and they were confident that they /did/ work in the factory window holes. But they're slide-open, not pop-ups.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I talked to the CRL folks (directly) when I first got the rig. They were clear: it's not the same opening and their windows don't fit as replacements for stock.

I also talked to someone who was selling AMA (can't recall who) and they were confident that they /did/ work in the factory window holes. But they're slide-open, not pop-ups.
Thanks for the research on this!

I still find it ridiculous that a manufacture would make an aftermarket window that is almost—but not quite—compatible with the target vehicle.
It may be an issue with definition. I might imagine that for the openable windows, their window may need the metal opening to be enlarged so that they then don't qualify as a "drop in" replacement. I wouldn't see that as a problem.

Either way, CRL seems fine with pushing away business. I'm glad that there are other vendors addressing this market.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Also worth noting that this thing of starting with a passenger or crew instead of cargo is not typical - at least not in the past. Personal guess is that they made them for the cargo - cut at the stampings - before finding out Ford's passenger windows are using a slightly different cut. By comparison, on the Sprinter, same window from CRL works on both - new cut or passenger. Personal guess... this is Ford's doing and CRL isn't remaking their windows. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
400 Posts
Also worth noting that this thing of starting with a passenger or crew instead of cargo is not typical - at least not in the past. Personal guess is that they made them for the cargo - cut at the stampings - before finding out Ford's passenger windows are using a slightly different cut. By comparison, on the Sprinter, same window from CRL works on both - new cut or passenger. Personal guess... this is Ford's doing and CRL isn't remaking their windows. 🤷‍♀️
I haven't checked the options for pre-20MY, but I ordered windows-all-around on my 21MY cargo van. There were several other window packages available too. The option of windows-all-around was less than the price of a single uninstalled aftermarket window.

When I ordered my Transit, I investigated the possibility of changing out one of the OEM windows for an aftermarket window that was openable. I concluded that there were options. We'll see when I get to that point in the build.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I haven't checked the options for pre-20MY, but I ordered windows-all-around on my 21MY cargo van. There were several other window packages available too. The option of windows-all-around was less than the price of a single uninstalled aftermarket window.

When I ordered my Transit, I investigated the possibility of changing out one of the OEM windows for an aftermarket window that was openable. I concluded that there were options. We'll see when I get to that point in the build.
Same, actually. I have a 2020 cargo with windows. (But the application is the same as a passenger from the windows perspective.) But it does eliminate the CRL windows that I thought I'd do. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I'm sure the openable OEM windows are available as replacements for fixed windows. The autobody repair places have to get them from SOMEWHERE. They may not be as cheap as CRL or others, but you're assured they will have an OEM appearance and fit!

Quick search shows tip-open side panel window is about $700. This appears to be the entire drivers' side, not just the rearmost window, so that's not too bad. I didn't look through everything, so a single side window, such as the foremost, may be available at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sure the openable OEM windows are available as replacements for fixed windows. The autobody repair places have to get them from SOMEWHERE. They may not be as cheap as CRL or others, but you're assured they will have an OEM appearance and fit!

Quick search shows tip-open side panel window is about $700. This appears to be the entire drivers' side, not just the rearmost window, so that's not too bad. I didn't look through everything, so a single side window, such as the foremost, may be available at a reasonable price.
Good info Surly....will explore this possibility. I'd be curious to know if these windows were the ones that Ford offered as OEM options in the Transit Passenger Wagons from about 2016-2019, and were finally discontinued as an option in about 2020 due to plastic latch failures and faulty design plus large warranty claims. Wondering if anyone in this forum can address their experiences with these windows and problems they had with them????

Just, yesterday was visiting with a friend who has a Ford Econoline Van with this type of OEM window on the driver side of the van, and he has had no problems with its function. So while this is NOT a Transit, it points to the fact that Ford is capable of making this type of OEM window. Whether or not it worked for the larger Transit windows is another matter.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts