Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too spent a long time deciding between a 170 ext sprinter and a high roof extended transit.

in the end we made a strong decision to go for a high roof extended 350HD transit for the following reasons and are extremely happy with the choice

- interior space, whilst the sprinter is 10inches longer for the build the interior volume of the two vans is identical.
TheTransit does not tapper in anywhere near as much towards the ceiling.
At floor level they both offer the same 69inch of useable width but in the transit at the ceiling this reduces to around 64 inch and in the sprinter an under 59 inch.

As we are doing a fixed bed at the rear with a couch and both drivers and passengers swivel seats at the front, the extra width at headroom makes the “living room” feel more spacious.

when sitting inside the two vans it felt more like the sprinter was a long tube compared to the more rectangular box of available building space in the transit, Howeverfor some layouts this may be preferable

- ease and comfort driving
We test drove both back to back from the same dealership. The sprinter whilst it was ok to drive made us far more conscious of its size as we pulled out of the dealership onto a busy road.
the transit however, due to the larger windows and more relaxed driving position was more comparable to my Toyota Tacoma and we found it to be far easier to drive with it’s large size far less noticeable

- service costs and availability
As said many times above, the slight cost difference in purchase price will quickly be swallowed up during The first 2 services on a sprinter, for which you may have more of a trek to do.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours but remember the opinions offered here are likely to be slightly transit biased.....

lee

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
If you look at the 3 brand options out there, each has some key pro features:

Sprinter
  • Surprisingly strong body "package", in spite of the relatively thin sheet meta
My 2008 Sprinter body would flex enough going into my driveway to have tire loose traction. The 2015 Transit does not twist the body as much so does not lose traction. Transit body is more rigid. Interior boxes over the rear wheel wells are deeper than Sprinter and the structural reinforcements over the slider doors is stronger.

The Sprinter sheet metal is thicker than the Transit sheet metal.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There's just too many positives in the transit column versus the sprinter. The only thing the Sprinter really makes a compelling argument with is the plug and play upfit or easier access to a fully built van if you want to spend the big bucks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There's just too many positives in the transit column versus the sprinter. The only thing the Sprinter really makes a compelling argument with is the plug and play upfit or easier access to a fully built van if you want to spend the big bucks.
The 170 (not ext) sprinter is pretty compelling vs the 148 wb. If it didn't have the narrowing at the top, I would go down that path even with the challenges.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One thing I didn't see mentioned is the requirement for the Sprinter gas engine to run super unleaded. It is turbocharged, but the extra cost for premium makes this choice a no go.I also compared the 2 vehicles, and found when doing an apples to apples with both van loaded with options yields about $10000 more for the sprinter. The AWD version is only available in the diesel sprinter. I owned the first gen Sprinter and found it to be a rattle box and had numerous problems with the sliding door. When I got to over 100k miles, I had $2000 repairs every year at the freightliner dealer for the sprinter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, seems strange to compare those two engines and those 2 wheelbases to me. How tall are you? I am 6’4” and ended up going with the Transit as, for some reason, I couldn’t find the high roofs like on the previous generation sprinters. After driving we would have gone with the Transit anyway. EcoBoost is NICE. Also, and this is clutch IMO, dealer and repair availability. Also, it really does drive great. Big plus for my partner when she drives. Honestly, the biggest con for me is the large overhang behind the back tires. We are not planning to off-road, but for some inclines it makes me nervous. We’ll see if there are any issues once we complete the build and get onward to traveling full-time...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to order a van for a base to build a campervan. I was ready to go with Transit, until I configured it - when I added everything I want it came to a whooping 50K. Then I decided to check a Sprinter. To my surprise Mercedes with gas engine was less expensive (cheaper somehow does not belong to Mercedes brand). And now I have real dilemma. What to do?

Mercedes Sprinter Pros: Nicer cab, surroundings near driver and passenger seats, better views by the windows, price, navigation system, prestige.
Cons: Underpowered engine, expensive service, infrequent dealer network.

Ford Transit Pros: Powerful engine, Ford dealer in (almost) every town, every mechanic knows Fords, cheap maintenance, bigger fuel tank
Cons: Dashboard not as nice as Sprinter's, costs more to buy.

My configurations:

Ford: Model Cargo Van, XL, Transit 250, High Roof, 148", 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine, 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift® Auxiliary, Transmission Oil Cooler 3.31 Limited Slip Axle $41,855
Paint Blue Jeans $200
Exterior Upgrade Package - SRW $360
Running Boards – Extended Length $655
Extended Range Fuel Tank (31 gallons) $285
Exterior Lighting – Front Fog Lamps $105
Short Arm Power Adjusting, Manual-Folding Mirrors $0
16" Steel Wheels with Full Silver Wheel Cover $0
235/65R16C 121/119 R BSW All-Season Tires $0
Interior
Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4-Way Manual Swivel Driver and 4-Way Manual Swivel Passenger Seats $1,385
Floor Covering – Front Carpet $35
Push Down Manual Parking Brake $195
Cruise Control with Adjustable Speed Limiting Device (ASLD) $325
Dual Alternator $845
Audio Pack #28: AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and HD SiriusXM®, Audio Input Jack, and 8" Colored Multi-Function Touch Screen with Navigation $1,220
Accessories Roof Rack System - Four Bars $415

Payment
Base MSRP $41,855
Total of Options $6,025
Destination Charges $1,695
Total MSRP $49,575

Mercedes: Vehicle 2020 Sprinter Cargo Van

Starting at $34,495
Length 144" Wheelbase $2,775
Height High Roof $0
Powertrain Gas Engine $0
Class 2500 (4420 lbs. Payload) $1,225 / $36
Exterior Color Steel Blue $0 / $0
Interior Color Caluma Black Upholstery $56
Other Charges Destination and Delivery $1,495
Build Subtotal $40,046
Selected Packages & Accessories Comfort Package (Seat addition) $368
Edit Selections Comfort Package $262
Chrome Grille Package $280
C02 in combination with C03 $656
Exterior Lighting Package $1,553
Premium Plus Package $2,126
Driver Convenience Package $994
Rain sensor $102
Parking Package $594
Mounting rails for roof rack $290
Illuminated front exits $146
AGM BATTERY 12V 92 Ah 850 A $98
Omission of D-Rings $-15
Overhead storage slot, front center $101
Packages & Accessories Subtotal $7,555
Build Total $47,601

Engine options. Transit:

3.5L EcoBoost® V6 Engine 310 hp @ 5,000 rpm Torque 400 [email protected] 2,500 rpm
3.5L PFDi V6 Engine 275 hp @ 6,500 rpm Torque 262 [email protected] 3,750 rpm
All Transits have now 10-speed AT

Mercedes Sprinter:
I-4 188 hp @ 5,000 rpm Torque 258 lb-ft @ 2,500–3,500 rpm
Gas engine comes with a 9-speed AT

I am not sure if destination charges for Sprinter are included and I don't know how much I have to add for a LED/HID lights for the Transit. Sprinter has only 22-24 gallons fuel tank, but it is possible to buy auxiliary second tank. Transit EcoBoost engine is about $1,500 option.

I am living in NC and planning to go, when retired in couple of years, for trips around the USA, West Coast, Utah, Alaska - several months a year, with my wife.

I wander what is your opinion about the choice? Which would you buy to build an RV and why?
We have transit 350 medium roof. Added solar panel. Additional batteries. Lights and awning. Love it outfitted it with queen bed and slide out drawers, do not want cook area or bathroom. Have large dogs that take up floor footprint. Have traveled cross country west to East multiple times and love it. I do all the driving (wife) and often take it solo. Easy to drive very comfy and simplified. Hook bikes on back swing out bike rack and go !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am about to order a van for a base to build a campervan. I was ready to go with Transit, until I configured it - when I added everything I want it came to a whooping 50K. Then I decided to check a Sprinter. To my surprise Mercedes with gas engine was less expensive (cheaper somehow does not belong to Mercedes brand). And now I have real dilemma. What to do?

Mercedes Sprinter Pros: Nicer cab, surroundings near driver and passenger seats, better views by the windows, price, navigation system, prestige.

Ford Transit Pros: Powerful engine, Ford dealer in (almost) every town, every mechanic knows Fords, cheap maintenance, bigger fuel tank

My configurations:

Ford: Model Cargo Van, XL, Transit 250, High Roof, 148", 3.5L EcoBoost V6 Engine, 10-Speed Automatic Overdrive with SelectShift® Auxiliary, Transmission Oil Cooler 3.31 Limited Slip Axle $41,855
Paint Blue Jeans $200
Interior
Dark Palazzo Gray Cloth, 4-Way Manual Swivel Driver and 4-Way Manual Swivel Passenger Seats $1,385
Dual Alternator $845
Audio Pack #28: AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth and HD SiriusXM®, Audio Input Jack, and 8" Colored Multi-Function Touch Screen with Navigation $1,220

Payment
Base MSRP $41,855
Total of Options $6,025
Total MSRP $49,575

Starting at $34,495
Height High Roof $0
Powertrain Gas Engine $0
Build Subtotal $40,046
Rain sensor $102
Parking Package $594
Omission of D-Rings $-15
Build Total $47,601

Engine options. Transit:

3.5L EcoBoost® V6 Engine 310 hp @ 5,000 rpm Torque 400 [email protected] 2,500 rpm

Mercedes Sprinter:

I am not sure if destination charges for Sprinter are included and I don't know how much I have to add for a LED/HID lights for the Transit. Sprinter has only 22-24 gallons fuel tank, but it is possible to buy auxiliary second tank. Transit EcoBoost engine is about $1,500 option.

I am living in NC and planning to go, when retired in couple of years, for trips around the USA, West Coast, Utah, Alaska - several months a year, with my wife.

I wander what is your opinion about the choice? Which would you buy to build an RV and why?
Polonus:

The difference is $2000. Since servicing is more expensive for the Sprinter, how many oil changes, or fluid changes will it take to make up the$2000? The is before you factor in trying to find a repair shop.

I also live in California, and I have seen sprinters in this semi-arid desert having rust on the doors or door handles. Not the rust you see in regions of snow and salted roads, but nonetheless rust from doors and where the door handles meet the door.

This may have been a problem that Mercedes has sorted out. I truly question that kind of build quality.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My configurations:

Paint Blue Jeans $200
Interior
Dual Alternator $845

Payment
Base MSRP $41,855
Total of Options $6,025
Total MSRP $49,575

Starting at $34,495
Height High Roof $0
Powertrain Gas Engine $0
Build Subtotal $40,046
Rain sensor $102
Parking Package $594
Omission of D-Rings $-15
Build Total $47,601

Engine options. Transit:

Mercedes Sprinter:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank y'all for the responses and advice. They all very helpful.

AlsoI would just buy the van used. save a lot of money
I looked at the used ones, but I don't see what I'd like to buy. It is my "dream project of my life", I don't want to buy something cheap just to save money.

it is curious why you would compare prices for the Transit Ecoboost to the base Sprinter gas engine, when the base Transit engine beats it in HP/torque.
[...]
My expectation is that the Transit is less expensive when you account for options and discounts. So choose the van that you like the best.
I am comparing Ecoboost with the base Sprinter engine, because Sprinter doesn't have any other gas engine.

I visited the Ford dealer near me, he had about 30 new vans. All of them sold to a single buyer from NJ (I live in NC). Ford factory was closed for 4 months and now they can sell anything. Fat chances for any discounts, I'll be happy if they won't add "market correction fee".

One thing is for sure: building out a sprinter is much more plug and play. There are multiple companies that offer full, bolt-on kits for anything you can imagine. There aren’t as many options for a transit. If you plan to DIY but don’t want to build your own wall panels and bed mounts, you can buy all that stuff for a sprinter but not for a transit.
I give myself 2 years to finish my project and I'll try do as much as I can myself. Probably I'll need professional help with the electrical systems, by I can handle the woodwork, insulation etc.
For true cost of ownership, you need to calculate not only cost of purchase, but also re-sale value. Is there a significant difference in what you will get when you sell the van?
I hope this will be my vehicle for next 20 years. Possible I'd take it to Europe in 10 years or so to travel there. Reselling value is not my concern at all.

As we are doing a fixed bed at the rear with a couch and both drivers and passengers swivel seats at the front, the extra width at headroom makes the “living room” feel more spacious.
Do you have any pictures/website/video about it?

One thing I didn't see mentioned is the requirement for the Sprinter gas engine to run super unleaded.
I didn't know. It makes a big difference, however most likely it would run on regular gas. I am using regular in my BMW for years without any problems.
Premium Required? Not Necessarily https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/business/2005/08/06/prices-fuel-a-rebellion/0de06c4f-0c5c-4135-82e1-50ff3660214d/

We are not planning to off-road, but for some inclines it makes me nervous. We’ll see if there are any issues once we complete the build and get onward to traveling full-time...
This is my concern too. I am going to test it in my driveway, before I buy it. If it make it, I'll go with the extended body, if not - with the shorter version.

Better add towing package or tow ready package, on any Transit purchase, or you may be sorry...
Why? I am not going to tow anything.

Nice, but not what I want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a AWD 2020 and transit f350 . Mid roof and mid length. No eco boot. I run 87 and it saves a lot of cash, van has plenty o power without eco boost worry. Do not order a can without electric door close. Sprinter 4wd option 10k plUs hit on mileage and drivability. Agree with the experienced folks everywhere can service a transit. Only issue so far has been the washer fluid hose came off tank otherwise very happy and does drive a gem

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the Sprinter is an amazing van. BUT, it's a diesel and that diesel has to be driven for the regen cycle to work (DPF system). It is not happy for short trips. I am sold on the Ford for the amazing build order options that are available. Heck, you can buy a passenger wagon with only 2 front seats. The customization options are endless. That Ecoboost twin turbo is insane. All it asks is for much more frequent oil changes than the manual calls for. Honestly, I never believed that 10K service intervals are normal, regardless of the miracles of synthetic oil. And alas, the MB service. Too far and between for my taste (even though I do most maintenance myself).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have a AWD 2020 and transit f350 . Mid roof and mid length. No eco boot. I run 87 and it saves a lot of cash, van has plenty o power without eco boost worry. Do not order a can without electric door close. Sprinter 4wd option 10k plUs hit on mileage and drivability. Agree with the experienced folks everywhere can service a transit. Only issue so far has been the washer fluid hose came off tank otherwise very happy and does drive a gem
All Transits runs on 87. for an AWD - I think limited slip differential should be sufficient for me. I'd rather raise it two inches, but stay with RWD.

Why do you think that electric door is so important?

Should compare the Transit non-turbo to the Sprinter gas engine.
I am comparing strongest gas engines available in those vans. Since I am not going to buy non-turbo Transit engine, I am not interested with that comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My configurations:

Paint Blue Jeans $200
Interior
Dual Alternator $845

Payment
Base MSRP $41,855
Total of Options $6,025
Total MSRP $49,575

Starting at $34,495
Height High Roof $0
Powertrain Gas Engine $0
Build Subtotal $40,046
Rain sensor $102
Parking Package $594
Omission of D-Rings $-15
Build Total $47,601

Engine options. Transit:

Mercedes Sprinter:

I ordered a fully built Transit EcoBoost 10360 GVWR because I wanted the power and capacity to handle the weight of the build and sometimes pull a light trailer/boat. Lots of van builds are over or close to or over weight, so if your plan is to make it nice and comfy for the wife and haul a 30 or 40 gallons of water and in house amenities you will need a van that can hold and haul it. I never even considered the 4 cylinder sprinter and the 6 cylinder sprinter diesel was eliminated because of maintenance cost and reliability issues. My brother had the 5 cylinder sprinter diesel and I was green with envy, but the 6 does not have the same reliability. Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I wonder what people are saying to this question on the Sprinter forum? :sneaky:

21 - 40 of 47 Posts