Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Transit headlights (low beam) , short tailpipe, 65 series hancook tires

7303 Views 20 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cara3321
These are m gripes about my 2016 medium roof, 3.5 ecoboost, 148 wheel base,and 3.31 gear diff. Transit.
Also the 65 series hancook tires absolutely suck in the snow. My 2006 Econoline does great in snow.there is no reason the transit shouldn't be the same. I have read of people going with a 16" 235 75 16. Anybody have any news on traction on snow with that upgrade? What about the speedo being off? Sure would be nice if the aftermarket came out with a power programmer that we could adjust for larger tires,get rid of the 82 mph governor and be able to watch your boost numbers. Anyone purchased some better headlight bulbs with a better low beam? The high beam headlights are awesome.
Chime in if you have any info on the above.
Thanks,Tom
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
I'm in MT. I put iPike RW11 Hankook 235 65 16's on and it rallies in the snow.. The stock hankooks got me stuck 2x the first day I had them, in flat icy driveways.. The iPikes are supposedly same rubber and tread as a blizzack.

The low beams aren't great.. I plan to add some other driving lights shortly. Maybe a bumper mounted light bar..
+1 for iPikes. They do wonders for me. Also check out this for a relatively simple headlight upgrade. What I ended up doing:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/15138-anybody-upgrade-there-headlights-yet-2.html#post271553
... I put iPike RW11 Hankook 235 65 16's on and it rallies in the snow...

Gentlemen, don't forget that the load index rating of 103 on these specified tires limits your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to just 7,716 lbs (1929lbs per tire)!!!
Rigid makes a nice fog light SAE certified $224 on Amazon. Very small but great light. Was out this morning in the dark on the highway for about 2 hours I was never flashed once. Definitely best improvement I made. I liked them so much I'm not turning them off, going to use as a DRL.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 3
Gentlemen, don't forget that the load index rating of 103 on these specified tires limits your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to just 7,716 lbs (1929lbs per tire)!!!
Oh yes, very aware of that. The van is only loaded with the summer tires. Else I ride empty to keep to a safe margin. The one annoyance is the TPS being unhappy since you can't inflate them to the 60psi or whatever the value the sensor is looking for.

But to have sure grip in the snow and ice, I can live with the limitations.
Load range E I think is the ticket. The Econoline has thasyt load range with 245\75\16. I'm wondering about the load ratin of 235\75\16 and if they would fit without rubbing.
Hey bigmac did you only put the pikes on the rear or all four?
You definitely want to put all four on. Having two snow tires and two all seasons is a bad bad idea. When you go to hit the brakes to stop, you will have differing braking effectiveness, which can lead to you losing control of the van.
Rigid makes a nice fog light SAE certified $224 on Amazon. Very small but great light. Was out this morning in the dark on the highway for about 2 hours I was never flashed once. Definitely best improvement I made. I liked them so much I'm not turning them off, going to use as a DRL.
Yep, I've got the same lights and they're one of the best mods I've done so far. Far brighter than the stock lights, yet easy to adjust with the positive cutoff. I've been driving with then since October and have never been flashed.
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yep, I've got the same lights and they're one of the best mods I've done so far. Far brighter than the stock lights, yet easy to adjust with the positive cutoff. I've been driving with then since October and have never been flashed.
JP

Gentlemen, since they're LED did you have to also install resistors?
I'm curious how easy/difficult the installation would be for someone like me who has never installed aftermarket auxiliary/fog lights.
Can you type up a few sentences describing the process when you get the chance please?
I'd greatly appreciate it!
I'm running all 4 tires.. I've gotten in an out of some tricky spots now with them.
I'm also running studs in mine. I almost don't think I need the studs the rubber is so good..

I'm aware of the load rating too. As an empty, new van it's not a problem.. and my conversion won't end up weighing that much. I think even fully converted and carrying the most weight that I envision, I'll still be good.

These will last a couple winters and if I need a heavier tire, I'll get a set. I'm used to spending $$ on tires for the truck I used to drive.. these are cheap in comparison, but so worth it!
Gentlemen, since they're LED did you have to also install resistors?
I'm curious how easy/difficult the installation would be for someone like me who has never installed aftermarket auxiliary/fog lights.
Can you type up a few sentences describing the process when you get the chance please?
I'd greatly appreciate it!
No resistors required. If you have a little experience with 12v automotive wiring, the install is pretty simple, though still somewhat time consuming.
In my case, I didn't use the included switch, but used one of the upfitter switches I ordered with my van. That made for a much more complicated install. I detailed the install and wiring if you look at my thread "Another minimalist conversion"
JP

Where did you get the rigid lights LED's at? Did you order them online?
Where did you get the rigid lights LED's at? Did you order them online?
Amazon.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-50481-D-Series-Light/dp/B00Q1RS83M[/ame]
Lights and Tail Pipe

I had my "car guy" upgrade low and high beams to xenon lights, install LED lights in all inside lights, add strip daylight running lights in the grill and a lightbar in the front opening in the bumper. Now when I want light, I get light!

For the tail pipe, I went to a local muffler shop and for $30 they made a extension that turns the exhaust pipe 90 degrees to exit on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. I carry dogs in my 350 so I did not want the tailpipe ending under the van and the exhaust running under the van and back inside when the rear doors are open.

Pawmark
Pawmark,did that tailpipe quiet the exhaust tone a little. I can hear mine a little too much for my liking.
My T350HD Wagon would not pass Massachusetts DOT inspection with the stock tail pipe as is. I had to have it extended to vent out the back. In my opinion, it didn't change the exhaust note and/or sound levels.
Signature limo, do you agree that the ecoboost exhaust is noisey?
It never struck me as overly noisy, no. It's loud at startup, but quiets right down. I've also never had a customer complain about it to my knowledge. I actually think it's quieter than the E350 it replaced.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.