Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Transit diesel low rpm shudder, engine light on

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  David Dorr 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I noticed my diesel transit shuddering at low RPMs on 8/31/2015 after a 3 hour freeway drive towing a 2500lb trailer, mostly around 55, sometimes slower in traffic. I have 2500 miles on the van.

I reached my destination, slowed to a stop, and for the first time felt the engine shuddering at around 750 to 800 rpms.

I fueled up on shell's #2 before the drive, so still had plenty of fuel.

The little spring doors on the fuel system were sealed tight today, so I assume they've been tightly sealed the last few days.

Yesterday, 9/1/2015, the issue hadn't gone away, and it was doing it when warmed up. Around noon, I was at a stop sign and the engine check light went on.

I ran a vehicle health report last night and that didn't bring up any new info - just that I have an engine check light on, and that either the engine or transmission have an issue.

I need to drive about 1000 miles in the next few days and I'm not sure if I need to get this worked on first. It comes at a very bad time in that regard (in the middle of moving).

I would love to know if I'd be causing any harm by continuing to drive to complete this move-in in Northern California. If this is a known issue and pretty harmless that'd be good to know because i coukd just follow up on it next week. Otherwise the delay in getting it checked out at Ford is going to cost me some time/dollars, but better that than damaging the vehicle in the case of an unknown issue.

Thanks for your combined wisdom.

- B

See less See more
#2 ·
I too have a diesel but haven't heard of that issue.
Good luck with it and please come back and tell us what it was if it doesn't right itself.

PS- if it was mine I'd see if the dealer could quickly pull a code to see if it was urgent. I have my own code reader but I haven't tried it on my Transit yet- something I need to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.